Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox Install Update-For all the prepaids not being serviced

What's the current geographical  area of focus lakeside where installs are taking place?  That's all I'm asking.   Please don't hijack the thread by telling me how wonderful the service, problems you're having, asking for free tech advise, other options etc.   To a prepaid, especially located west of San Juan Cosala, where Ilox sightings are rare its like rubbing salt in an open wound.

Thank you in advance for information based on my request.

You'd have to ask them directly, either at the office or their email. noc@mail.ilox.mx. Because there are not enough people on this board who have it, and there are certainly no members (except one) who have any insight or contact with them beyond a customer participation level. No one can tell you where they are or when they'll be there.

• Like 4

tug, please report back with any findings derived beyond this thread - so often, as you anticipate, postings generate a churning cloud of dust and no useful information.  (I'm interested in a property in the wild west end of SJC and decent net is a necessity.)   Thanks and good luck.

Unfortunately, at least for me, Ilox does not answer my emails, whether I write to the noc address or to Jesica Avila. I don't think you can get any useful information from the office. The lady told my neighbor they aren't installing out here (west Ajijic). I have been told another week, month, etc. Mr Kessler keeps saying "any day now."

The middle of this month will mark 18 months since I prepaid. It will also likely mark the day I go in and ask for my refund.

• Like 1

There have been a number of Ilox trucks in the Av. Del Pilar area of Riberas the past couple of days. They installed cable here back in May, but are doing more work on it now. I talked with several groups of the Ilox men and they all said installation would start in 2 weeks in this area. Keeping my fingers crossed. I have been going into the Ilox office regularly since May. No useful information on when installs would begin from them. First it was one month, then two months, then September for sure. Hopefully now it will be October for sure.

4 hours ago, Pet said:

I live in SAT and just received a call.  Ilox will install at my house at 1:00 today.  Yipee!!!!

Did the guy come? He arrived at my door UNANNOUNCED on Tuesday as I was getting ready to leave for Guadalajara. We had a discussion and agreed he would come back on Thursday, he asked if 9 was OK and I said yes. He told me he would be here between 9 and 10 and has not shown. In the meantime my friend is waiting all day for Telmex. Anyone see any difference in service?

Follow up actions I did;

1.  emailed noc@mail.ilox.mx, no response to date.   Gustavo at the Ajijic Ilox office, speaks English, confirmed that he got my email, after I had identified myself through the

presentation of the two contracts I have with Ilox West of San Juan Coslala.  He said that install updates in terms of the geographical area are only available via the GDL office.  Which he called, but his contact was NA.   He indicated he would sent me an email once he got the requested info.

2.  I went to the Ilox office, which was manned by Gustavo, who speaks English.  If you go to the office plz keep in mind that any Ilox employee who is manning the office are

just messengers.   So yelling at them, being disrespectful gains you nothing.

3.  Upon presentation of my Ilox contracts, I asked Gustavo to verify that I was in the system.   He did so via his computer and we have both my contracts, with the details on the service I had requested for the 2 sites, cost and that I had paid.

4.  He showed me the 2 modems that are available.  I noted that I would need a 4 port modem, even though, I wasn't getting TV at one site to handle my network.   He said no problem, just notify the installer.

5.  How many installed customers does Ilox have at lakeside I asked?   He said around 3000.  

6.  The major question of when installation would commence San Juan Cosala and to the West was not answered.  He said that installations had been done in the Ajijc/adjoining areas ie SA, core area, and the R Club.  No installations have been done SJC and to the West to Joco.   No installs done between West Ajijic (not clear as to where Ajijic ends) and the RC.

Considering they wanted 300 to sign up, and got 400, I am finding it difficult to believe that they suddenly and fortuitously managed to pick up another 2,400 customers who all got installed before the original group. It's BS, and it is sad to see them not only not giving a crap about customer service, but now resorting to TelMex-type shovels of you-know-what. Gustavo needs to be reprimanded and schooled.

• Like 1

Final comment, unless I get an email to my question as to when installs will start from SJC to Joco.   There is really no urgency/incentive for Ilox to do installs SJC and to the West.   Reason being is that Telmex is not doing any upgrades.    Reality is that our service has declined from a max of 1.75 down over the last 8 years to .8 download.

So Ilox given what is being offered,  has the "new monopoly" on internet service to the West.  As there are far fewer prepaids/potential subscribers SJC/West as compared to the core area, the possibility of losing some prepaids, giving refunds, is secondary to the market potential in the core area.  And is a potential customer in the West going to sign up now?  Where no one has any service in the area.

So anyone like myself, with such poor Telmex service, no hope of improvement,  has nothing to lose, fall back on.  Unlike Telmex customers in the core area who have/ had decent service, say 5+, with upgrades being done.  

IMO until new signups level off in the core area, to where crews can be shifted to the West, we could be in for a long wait, probably into next year.

Needless to say Its frustrating to look at the Ilox cable going to the East, when I drive down to the highway every day or so.

In closing I'll quote a Telmex rep via phone who said to me, after I'd called 3 weeks in a row, "Don't worry about the Internet, Mr. Smith, it will be ok"

I live in SE Ajijic, no upgrades here.  Same spotty service, maybe even worse than it used to be.  Certainly no better.

Like it or not ILOX seems to be the area's only hope for better internet at the moment.  With only 3 crews they are going to be some time working through the back log. 

The contrast between here and a few miles up the road (GDL) where we have an apartment for our sponsored Iteso students is pretty glaring.  They had fast OTA internet service in a matter of a few days, cheap, fast and reliable.

You know it is bad when we get better wifi in an RV park these days.  😕

Unet out of Jocotepec is snarfing up all the prepaid iLox customers in the Las Fuentes and Rancho Alegre areas. People are just plain tired of waiting for iLox to get their butt in gear and their speeds with Telmex have always been far worse than anywhere else. I don't have that problem in Riberas where I'm getting 20 down and 4 up WITHOUT Telmex fibre and have been for the last three years. I can wait for iLox but my need is nothing compared to others. imho, they should have started to the west of Ajijic first. 'nuff said.

1 hour ago, tugwestend said:

Final comment, unless I get an email to my question as to when installs will start from SJC to Joco.   There is really no urgency/incentive for Ilox to do installs SJC and to the West.   Reason being is that Telmex is not doing any upgrades.    Reality is that our service has declined from a max of 1.75 down over the last 8 years to .8 download.

So Ilox given what is being offered,  has the "new monopoly" on internet service to the West.  As there are far fewer prepaids/potential subscribers SJC/West as compared to the core area, the possibility of losing some prepaids, giving refunds, is secondary to the market potential in the core area.  And is a potential customer in the West going to sign up now?  Where no one has any service in the area.

So anyone like myself, with such poor Telmex service, no hope of improvement,  has nothing to lose, fall back on.  Unlike Telmex customers in the core area who have/ had decent service, say 5+, with upgrades being done.  

IMO until new signups level off in the core area, to where crews can be shifted to the West, we could be in for a long wait, probably into next year.

Needless to say Its frustrating to look at the Ilox cable going to the East, when I drive down to the highway every day or so.

In closing I'll quote a Telmex rep via phone who said to me, after I'd called 3 weeks in a row, "Don't worry about the Internet, Mr. Smith, it will be ok"

I have total sympathy for you and all others in your situation.  For anyone considering a move to LC I suggest you read this entire thread. Be honest with yourself as to how important a good internet connection is to you. If it is very important then push some of your other wants down the list when deciding where to live. Promises are always iffy anywhere but Mexico is the land of promises broken. Not usually intentionally, but the good or bad intentions are of no consequence to the person who relied on the promise and learns "it ain't gonna happen anytime soon". Many if not most of us have come to feel a decent internet connection is as important as a nice view, low housing costs, location so admit it to yourself and choose wisely.

It was all an accident, I was leaving the house and I saw the man hooking up my new neighbor. So I asked him if he would hook me up. He said no because I needed a contract. I told him I signed a contract 6 months ago. He said he needed a work order so I rushed to the iLox office and the girl called him and told him to hook me up. She also gave me a work order to give him. So he hooked me up!

I was skeptical, figuring I would have problems especially when I hooked up my VPN Buffalo router to the iLox router. But it all went smoothly and everything worked great. No problemo!

Speed is usually between 35 & 39 mbps down, even with the Buffalo. Between 9 & 10 mbps up.

I can even keep my old telephone number but it will take 5 days to change it over he said. I waited 7 days and he didn't show up. So, I went to the office and the man was very unhelpful. He said the man didn't work there anymore and he couldn't get anyone else to do it. He told me to go home and call to get the nip number. He said he couldn't do it at the office. So I went home, called the number he gave me and got the nip number. 

I'm going back the the iLox office Monday and hopefully they will change my number.

We'll see.

Mexicans just don't know how to do business. 

Go ahead, now torch me,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IMO, "Mexicans" do business just like they've done it for hundreds of years probably... as their culture dictates, not the NOB culture. Yes of course there are some exceptions.  Frustrating for some but not something that our ranting about will change.  YMMV

• Like 3