Chapala.com Webboard

Shade Cloth for Cyclone Fence

Looking for a recommendation from someone who has recently had heavy duty cloth installed over their chain link, or from anyone who has had a negative experience with it.

I'm not interested in the malla blin or blind slats. I'm tired of seeing what my trashy neighbors are doing to the rental next door and want to block my view. 😵

I think what you want is called Maya Sombra in Mexico.  It comes in different strengths of shade, based on your desire.  We have only bought in GDL in the centro historico.  I am sorry but I don't remember the street name, but it runs off Juarez which is one of the main shopping streets in downtown GDL, which runs towards Independencia, and if I recall correctly if you take it all the way down you come into Plaza Liberacion.  So as I think about this, if you go to Teatro Degollado, and head a couple of blocks over to the west, you will find the street.  It is on the west side, and there other commercial stores all around it.  It is a hardware store, but they usually have some of the Maya Sombra out close to the street.  You will have to give them the measurements and they will install the eyelets so you can have it installed by someone here, or yourself if you are handy.  Hope this helps.

I can not remember where my Architect/builder got my shade cloth for my fence because it was back in 2008, but it was and still is fantastic. It gives me my privacy while sitting in the yard or what have you. Just make sure you get the type you want. Putting shade cloth in your cyclone fence sure is cheaper than having to build a new wall to give you that privacy you want.

59 minutes ago, Arroyos said:

I think what you want is called Maya Sombra in Mexico.  It comes in different strengths of shade, based on your desire.  We have only bought in GDL in the centro historico.  I am sorry but I don't remember the street name, but it runs off Juarez which is one of the main shopping streets in downtown GDL, which runs towards Independencia, and if I recall correctly if you take it all the way down you come into Plaza Liberacion.  So as I think about this, if you go to Teatro Degollado, and head a couple of blocks over to the west, you will find the street.  It is on the west side, and there other commercial stores all around it.  It is a hardware store, but they usually have some of the Maya Sombra out close to the street.  You will have to give them the measurements and they will install the eyelets so you can have it installed by someone here, or yourself if you are handy.  Hope this helps.

That helps a lot and I've been in that area (bus and then taxi for me). 

I didn't realize they can "rig" it for you with the grommets...bonus!

56 minutes ago, johanson said:

I can not remember where my Architect/builder got my shade cloth for my fence because it was back in 2008, but it was and still is fantastic. It gives me my privacy while sitting in the yard or what have you. Just make sure you get the type you want. Putting shade cloth in your cyclone fence sure is cheaper than having to build a new wall to give you that privacy you want.

That's good to hear! It's actually on the shady side of the house, so the main threat will be the weeds they never pull, some of which are quite pokey. Covering it will save my hands as pulling them from my side inevitably ends with me bleeding.

I bought mine at home depot in GDL and have it on my chain line fence; check with the ferreteria in Chapala on Morelos; seems to me they will also put grommets in for you; also the garden place in Riberas has it. Seems to me it comes 2 mtrs wide

You can buy clamping connectors which will simplify installation as an option to having grommets pre-installed. 

for comparison a 2mx10m piece of privacy/shade cloth costs 800 pesos on Mercadolibre