Chapala.com Webboard

Best fish'n'chips of my life today at LaPacena!

camillenparadise

I agree this is the best fish and chips I found in Ajijic but I thought the chips were not as good as they could be.  I do not understand it.  One place will have good fish and so so chips and another place good chips and so so fish.  Having spent 3 years in England and 3 years in Australia I am spoiled.

The "best fish and chips" I´ve had in Mexico over a hundred years in Mexico doesn´t even come close to being as good as the worst fish  and chips I´ve had in Ireland. :(

To start with……...where´s the Cod or Haddock?  Irish potatoes for chips?  Guinness on draught?

Ni modo, La Paceña eso es...….Not a decent taco in Ireland either...LOL

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I agree this is the best fish and chips I found in Ajijic but I thought the chips were not as good as they could be.  I do not understand it.  One place will have good fish and so so chips and another place good chips and so so fish.  Having spent 3 years in England and 3 years in Australia I am spoiled.

I too have spent some time in England years and years ago and know that the type of fish is the key. North Atlantic Cod and wrapped in newspaper was the only way to go! understand that the cod has been over-fished so they are even substituting there.   

Magana was great...Geoffrey was a trip ..always enjoyed his fish and chips and his crusty personality. I also enjoy the fish and chips at La Pacena  , the young shark works great...the rest of his menu is good as well .Great piece of swordfish last week .

• Like 1

In Toronto near the Don Jail. even the walls were greasy and you took it home in newspaper. Second but long gone too Dundas and Islington across from Thorncrest Ford. Only Magana came close around here. Another good one and still going,was there about 5 years ago Kingsway Fish and Chips.Give me Halibut for the best. Pic is Halibut from Kingsway.

Kingsway Fish & Chips 71.jpg

• Thanks 1

Really difficult to get real fish n chips in england. Whitby is probably most famous. 

The local places are mostly chinese owned and never the same.

Although many chippies in scotland are of italian decent and can be excellent.

Cod in england, with mushy peas. haddock in scotland, with a fried mars bar.

Plaice occasionally or halibut was a speciality. 

Probably wrapping in newspaper is illegal these.  

La pacena can be good, but expensive. The halibut was great but i think 300 pesos for a small portion. The head waiter puts me off with his garbage stories of where the fish is from and his attitude sucks.

42 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Clearly states...la pacena.

Luz at lcs is a very good optican.

Maybe he does not know where la Pacena is! On the lateral across from Super Lake. Have not tried the fish n' chips there but other dishes are quite good. My go to place fro this is Lake Taco but I will "give it a go" as they say in Jolly Old England my benchmark for fish n' Chips. 

l

Australia has the largest population of Greeks of any country outside of Greece.  Many years ago a Greek immigrated to Australia and while deciding what to do he decided to try a fish and chips shop and it was successful.  He than sponsored his family to come over and he put them in the fish and chips business.  Today most of the fish and chips shops in Australia are run by the Greeks.  In Australia I enjoyed the local whiting and in England the Atlantic cod.  Australia has a large white potato which makes great chips.  The potatos are 10 and 12 inches long.

In Dublin the good chippers, like Burdock´s and Beshoff´s, offer Cod (until the limit stops the supply) and Haddock, either fresh or smoked.  Cod always being slightly higher priced- A few places down along the County Cork shoreline, like Kinsale. will offer Plaice,

It wasn´t the Celtic Irish that made the fish and chips popular but the Italian transplants that came over at the beginning of the 20th century.  Now every pub in Ireland has them, and of course every school kid in Ireland knows that fish and chips were invented by the Irish, just like the potato.   :D:D:D

8 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Magana was great...Geoffrey was a trip ..always enjoyed his fish and chips and his crusty personality. I also enjoy the fish and chips at La Pacena  , the young shark works great...the rest of his menu is good as well .Great piece of swordfish last week .

Even though he was born, bred, and buttered in Manchester, his ancestry was Irish.  He is a Rafferty, and they are well known in Ireland for being "crusty", to put it nicely. and he was just a mild case of crusty.  Pretty good footballer, though.

• Like 1

Smoked cod. Never had it battered but love it poached with a couple of eggs.

Superlake had battered haddock in the freezer a few weeks back.

Not bad considering we are in the middle of mexico.

I used to get frozen atlantic cod from (hbe?) supermarket when i lived in tamaulipas.

That was pretty good as well.

14 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Actually I believe the fish La Paceña usually uses in their fish and chips is cabezón, called dog fish or baby shark in English.  It certainly is much better than the basa (catfish or panga fish from the Mekong River) that to many local restaurants try to pass off as sea bass.  

15 hours ago, ibarra said:

From their website   "... platters of fried shrimp, cod, and chicken". 

This is off topic.  The topic is La Placena.

LOL……...From the title of the thread, it could be....."the best fish´n´chips of my life".   That kind of begs a discussion about "fish´n´chips"   :017:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit that I was a little skeptical, but finally got around to giving it a try...WOW...THE REAL DEAL!!! 

4 rounded strips, each about 4" - 5" long and 1"+ diameter, coating crisp but not too thick. Inside flakey white fish cooked perfectly. Size great for finger food dipping in the very good tarter sauce and of course the real "fish and chip" vinegar to give it the final touch. Chips served in separate basket are very thin but crispy as I like it. Do not like fat chips with mushy interior. My new "go to" fish n' chip spot that has the real "fish shack" ambiance also.