Chapala.com Webboard

Ecology & Recycling Fiesta, LCS grounds, Oct. 5

On October 5 the Lakeside Community will have it's first ever event to promote recycling in our area, in the 'south' grounds area of the Lake Chapala Society.  The LCS has organized this event in coordination with the Ajijic Citizens Recycle Committee ( a pilot project of the Chapala Administration of Pres. Moises Anaya) and together we hope to offer an educational program and just have some fun too .. First the serious stuff.. The admission fee is one recyclable article .. an aluminum can, a plastic bottle (clean and flattened)  or whatever you can bring along  that we can recycle.. At 10am the day starts with a free coffee and pastry reception (while supplies last) .. we hope the mayor can join us for the official opening of the program at 10:30am.  Beginning at 11am we will have a Spanish version of the Climate Reality presentation provided by the Guadalajara Chapter of the International program founded by former US Vice President Al Gore. Also at 11am will be an English orientation into "how, what and why" of recycling in Ajijic..  At 12 noon, the Climate Reality presentation will be given in English and the "how, what and why" will be given in Spanish.  Not enough publicity has been given to the importance of the Climate Reality presentation and how fortunate we are that the International group has chosen this event at the LCS for it's first local visit .. Please encourage your Mexican friends to come at 11 for that program and of course all of you who can make it should do so too ..

While both presentations are going on ( from aprox. 11am to 1pm) there will be games and recycle information presented to all the children that are present.   Making recycling fun and rewarding will be the goal of this time period and hoping that teaching the children is the most effective way of getting this lifestyle change into the home life of all local families.. If you'd like to bring along a little 'prize' for the kids, please feel free to do so.. Sandy Britton, the LCS Vice President is heading up this effort..which will happen to the East of the Pavillion.

Beginning at 1pm;  we will offer free a selection of tasting foods (donated by 5 local restaurants) and a cash bar will open to everyone.  At that point 'The Waynes' will provide music to lift the spirit and during the next few hours the fun part of the day sets in .. while enjoying the music, food and drink we have organized a wide variety of donated items to be auctioned off in 'silent' auctions and live auctions..

The auction offerings include; dinners at local restaurants (Cocinart, Tango, Ninettes among others), gift certificates at boutiques, Spa Treatments, cooking classes, coffee shop visits, there's a 4 day Yoga retreat at the Hotel Montecarlo offered, B&B's packages, numerous artworks, Trips Burgers, a fabulous offering of a 200 liter solar hot water unit, French Champagne and Imported Foie Gras for 4 and many more items. 

The 'creme de la creme" of auction offerings is a 7 night stay in the Conchas Chinas Hacienda de Los Santos (Puerto Vallarta) .. a luxury home with 7 bedrooms. Comes complete with concierge, house staff and chef !! This home usually rents from $1500 to $2200 US dollars per night .. so this package is worth way more than $10,000 US dollars . (Maximum 14 adults and the reservation is subject to 'black out' dates, of course).

With the funds we hope to generate on October 5, our hope is to purchase a plastics compactor, install large recycle collection bins in front of the Recycle Center in west Ajijic (El Bajio), purchase our own truck to facilitate picking up in the village and also taking materials to market in GDL AND we hope to add another employee or more to handle the ever increasing amount collected each day.  You've probably seen the recycle containers all around town bursting at the seams! We still estimate we are only receiving 30-40% of what's available and the rest is still going to the dump!!

If you cannot make the event that day but would like to help the program, we do accept donations on PayPal in US dollars and cash donation in Pesos.  Message me for details on how we can accept your donation.  We still do not have a Non Profit status so we cannot at this time give tax exempt receipts. Some people are donating their gardener's services to help at the the Recycle Center one day a week ..

One other thing you can do for the program with or without attending this event is to donate a recycle container for your neighborhood or donate one and let us place it in a needy area.. they cost $2,000 pesos for the container and a steel fork to hold folded cardboard. (We ask a small amount $$ for the installation).  You can have your name or that of a favorite cause or your business placed on the donation plaque that adorns the container.. 

If you'd like to bid on the Puerto Vallarta vacation package but can't make the event ..  we can designate a 'stand in bidder' for you,  just message me and I'll tell you how to execute an absentee bid..

Thank you for taking the time to read all this .. and for your support of the program. It is absolutely amazing how much recylable material is donated every single day in Ajijic!

Tom Thompson,  President of the Ajijic Citizens Recycle Committee

Image-1.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-09-29 at 7.39.25 PM.png

70145472_10218438994220408_5953234983366688768_o.jpg

• Like 2

This is truly wonderful. I am so pleased you are including the two Climate Reality Project presentations. I can only add 3 things about the Climate Crisis:

1 It's real

2. It's us

3. It's bad

And it will get worse if we do nothing!

Please see the presentations. A lot of hard work has gone into this program. You folks are to be saluted!

• Like 3

And FYI, Hacienda de los Santos (the BIG auction prize 7 night stay) is not only beautiful and has great views, they "walk the walk" on energy efficiency too, and have had a large solar electric system on the roof for a number of years now.

• Like 2

I would like to know how large the units are for recycling in a particular area. Is there signage that says what can be recycled and where they can be put.

I am so tired of my recyclables being thrown into the compacting trucks with the regular garbage. On the other hand, it doesn't make ecological sense to drive them across town to your current recycling centre since I am located in Riberas.

And, yes, I'm sure I could have asked these questions via pm but I'm also equally sure that others want the information as well. T.I.A.

• Like 1

Ferret;  We have recycle bins (cestos) spread around Ajijic.  The most convenient ones for you might be in the corner of the highway at Vinos America or the one in front of the LCS.  The Vinos America 'cesto'  is supposed to be emptied on Weds so Thursday might be a good day to take your items to that one. The LCS is scheduled to be emptied on Monday so, Tuesday would be a good day for that one. We encourage you to wash and flatted your plastic bottles. Thanks for your interest, we are continuing to add cestos around town .. the next one scheduled to be installed will be at the corner of 16 de Sept. and Donato Guerra (near the Posada Nueva).

Ferret; at the Sat. function we will have handouts to illustrate what we can and cannot recycle at this point in our program .. there are some materials that could be recycled in some parts of the world but here in Central Mexico there is not a buyer so, unfortunately, they go to the dump.. one solution mentioned a lot in comments about our plastic crisis is to avoid plastic packaging, when you can.  Glass and cardboard are 100% recyclable..

I am on vacation in Ontario and will not be back until October the 12th. and the snowbirds arrive after me so the info is important.

I would ask, please, that somebody take a photo of the handout and post it on the forum along with a list of all locations. I can wash and flatten plastic beverage bottles and thank you for the information that you have provided.

1) with lids or without?

2) there is never any parking around LCS so a one person household can't easily do what you're asking. The one near La Nueva Posada is more likely for me.

Thank you so much for the efforts that you are making. I would happily pay for one to be put closer in Riberas but the "where" is a problem. And I still don't know the size involved or the frequency of emptying said container.