Chapala.com Webboard

Pneumonia shot?

kimanjome

Question if there is a place to get the Prevnar / Pneumovax 23 shot, whether free or otherwise, in Chapala area.

About 6 years ago I went with my husband (he was 65, I was 52) to get a "Pneumonia shot" given out to all seniors here in Florida. We paid our $20, stood in line with the rest of the geezers, and boom boom, flu and pneumonia shots. We have no idea what type of "Pneumonia shot" it was. 

This past February I came down with bacterial pneumonia while Lakeside, took me 2 months to fully recover, antibiotics and oxygen/steroid treatments everyday for 2 weeks. So, whatever shot I got wasn't very effective! I think I need the "23" and I am assuming I had the 13 before.  

I'm back in the USA for a short time on business and my insurance won't cover me for the "23" because I am under 65. That's why I'm asking if I can get the 23 there Lakeside, when I return next week.  

I was told I can get one after 5 years at our ISSSTE clinic after recieving it.  They get these delivered along with the recent flu shot starting the first week of Nov. each year. [with the new government maybe not a sure thing anymore] No appointment. I got these in 2009 for free during the AH1N1 flu scare at the IMSS hospital when I lived in Mexicali and flu shots from the IMSS clinic in Novembers for years for free with no INM visa\card. Maybe both are free at the IMSS and Red Cross like in the past.

Last year LCS only offered the Prevnar 13.  The OP is looking for the Prevnar 23.   See story here,

https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/expat-living/expat-living/lake-chapala/laguna-chapalac/52516-laguna-chapalac-octubre-13-2018

The recommended protocol for lifetime pneumonia protection is to get the Prevnar 13, then wait a year and get the Prevnar 23.  

To the OP; have you asked your Primary Care doctor to contact your insurance company and insist you need the Prevnar 23?  Based on what you've been through (previous case bacterial pneumonia) you would likely be approved.  The cost to the insurance company for a Prevnar 23 shot is very low; they are unlikely to deny it if your doctor recommends it.  

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

The was no membership required last year. Any arm, no ID asked for, and a cheery smile as one left.

The lady at the desk said to bring my SP booklet so I assumed,  and that´s all I know.  Of course, she knows I´m enrolled.

Hope you are right because to cost for signing up is enormous.     :D