Chapala.com Webboard

Hot water heater help

Maeflower

What type of unit are you replacing?   And for how many people / what size of h/h?

Our expert installer provides a 16 liter / min on demand unit for 8000 pesos, and about 500 to 1000 to remove the old one and install it depending on the setup.    

These are also "solar ready" (can accept hot water input and will work automatically with it to bypass or top-up if needed) for ease and highest efficiency.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Be smart and replace the unit with the same type and size. About 80% or more Mexican houses are equipped with one that cost 2,500 pesos and 200 should be paid to swap it out.

See this for example:?: https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-675752929-boiler-calentador-de-deposito-primo-60-l-para-gas-lp-_JM?quantity=1#position=23&type=item&tracking_id=4992b980-561b-44b0-8186-ce5a47f266aa

• Like 2

Maeflower- What are you referring to when you say double and single? Water heaters are normally stated in terms of volume (at least the normal-type water heaters, not on demands) My new water heater, which is small- 40 liters- enough for a 10 minute shower, but heats up again for another shower within 15 minutes, cost 2500 pesos and my plumber charged me 200 pesos to change it over.

You're either talking about something vastly different or someone is really trying to take you for a ride. 28,500? Is it gold-plated? 8400? $700 to change over? Sounds extreme.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Be smart and replace the unit with the same type and size

Be smart and do something that doesn't need to feed a pilot light and need to keep a tank warm, 24 / 7.     Save a lot more in the long run, (and never run out of capacity) but spending more, upfront, for either pilot-less on-demand, solar, or a combo.    (yes am biased, however that doesn't mean it isn't the truth!).     

• Like 3

Having had both, absolutely go with a solar hot water heater plus an on-demand. At the very least, go with an on-demand. No sense in wasting good money on out-dated technology.

And just a friendly suggestion: next time put the subject of your post, not your name, in the Subject line. For example, "water heater question". You'll get more and better answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

Be smart and do something that doesn't need to feed a pilot light and need to keep a tank warm, 24 / 7.     Save a lot more in the long run, (and never run out of capacity) but spending more, upfront, for either pilot-less on-demand, solar, or a combo.    (yes am biased, however that doesn't mean it isn't the truth!).     

I have a normal hot water heater and it doesn't need to feed the pilot light or keep the tank hot 24/7. I just light it when I need it. Takes all of 1 minute and 10 minutes to heat up to super hot. 1 cylinder of gas lasts me a year.

On demand water heaters usually require a larger gas supply line than the 3/8" tube that is encased in the concrete wall or a larger ampacity electric supply. The cost is an order of magnitude more than a straight replacement. I paid less than 3,000 pesos for my replacement. I also do not wish to Americanize my home or support those whose objective it is.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

LOL. Americanize? How about "what's best for the environment". I only have an on demand heater and it works just fine with the gas tubing that already existed. Cinsa brand from Amutio cost $1800 pesos and easy to install. It works with low flow water (although I did put in a 1/3 hp igoto on demand booster pump from the tinaco) and both the gas and water levels can be adjusted depending on your needs. I have a 180 litre gas tank and use one half of it PER YEAR. I do fill it every December though before the price goes up in January. Only other expense is two D batteries which I replace every year as well.

• Like 3

Thanks to everyone for your input. I don’t mean to be vague, I’m just not very knowledgeable, but the prices seem high to me.  In trying to do some research, It did seem that most units were far less expensive than the quote I received, but I am not a plumber. I had a very nice guy who came over and told me this. I did not want to think he was taking advantage, but I don’t know what else to think. When I say double, we have a double boiler system on our mirador which feed two floors and then a tank on first floor.  The double boiler is very expensive, but the most I’ve seen it on line is 16000 pesos, not 28000.  My water heaters work but I am losing tons of gas and since they are old, we thought that might be the reason. Thanks again everyone!

1 hour ago, Maeflower said:

.  My water heaters work but I am losing tons of gas and since they are old, we thought that might be the reason.

Your water heaters may not be the reason you are losing gas. You should have someone do a pressure test on your gas lines. I don't know how old your house is, but leaking gas lines is a common problem after about 15 years.

Those double gas heaters do use a lot of gas and have way more capacity than most need (or want to pay for.....)

Size-wise, a solar water heater of average size can go in a space of about 2 x 2 meters, or less, including room around it for access.    Average payback @ lakeside is about 2 years, some more, some less, of course.

And no larger gas line is needed for an on-demand gas unit.    The electric ones do draw quite a bit, typically more than many older homes are set up for, though a new line could be run in from the CFE meter; >>>  most do not wish to get into that, just putting it here for the info / perspective.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

Those double gas heaters do use a lot of gas and have way more capacity than most need (or want to pay for.....)

Size-wise, a solar water heater of average size can go in a space of about 2 x 2 meters, or less, including room around it for access.    Average payback @ lakeside is about 2 years, some more, some less, of course.

And no larger gas line is needed for an on-demand gas unit.    The electric ones do draw quite a bit, typically more than many older homes are set up for, though a new line could be run in from the CFE meter; >>>  most do not wish to get into that, just putting it here for the info / perspective.

Go Solar did a superb job of figuring out our need for both solar hot water and electric. Six months in and the savings have been dramatic, both in no gas usage for hot water and minimal bills from CFE vs. the $3,000- $3,500/2-mths. we were paying.

We have a small 2/2 house with most of the roof covered with tiles, but Go Solar's team fit a LARGE solar water heater in a small space along with the solar panels.

I highly recommend his team and their methods.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During a major remodel in 2007-8, I installed an instant on gas hot water system plus a hot water solar panel with a heat tank. I have never turned the gas heaters on. Sure sometimes when we have had cloudy weather for a few days the shower isn't as warm as I like it, but it is never cold.

If you have a good place to put solar panels and if you are going to be around for a few years, I would seriously consider adding solar to your hot water system. You might just be able to give up gas for hot water, like me. Yes I still use gas in the kitchen. :) 

• Like 1

We changed from an on-demand propane water heater to a solar water heater. Never did have to use the gas heater again!  It had been using 50% of our propane usage, and we cooked a lot, and our clothes dryer was a propane unit too.

Go solar!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

We changed from an on-demand propane water heater to a solar water heater. Never did have to use the gas heater again!  It had been using 50% of our propane usage, and we cooked a lot, and our clothes dryer was a propane unit too.

Go solar!

Even on overcast days we have HOT water and more than we can use. Love, love, love it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Maeflower said:

Yes, who would I get to do a pressure test?  I had a plumber who wanted to replumb by running lines outside the house. I may have to do that, but thought the old water heaters may be part of the problem. We do not smell gas. 

My experience was that we never did smell gas, but our consumption was increasing. A pressure test showed that there was a significant leak somewhere. During this test all appliances, heater etc are isolated, so only the lines are being tested.

The solution was indeed to run new gas lines outside the house, mostly over the roof, and completely invisible. The difference was remarkable.

• Like 1