Chapala.com Webboard

Best Route to Scottsdale Arizona

catbird

Google map shows two routes, one thru the center of Mexico and one along the pacific coast.

I'd like opinions about the best way to go. Good roads are more important to me than shorter distance.

I've never gone this way before but I've gone to Laredo many times. This looks like a much longer drive.

Gracias

image.thumb.png.82d196754d5dbbb9cd06bbbcb53819ef.png

I suggest the western route, using 15D toll road.  It will be the better part of three days. But, if you are ambitious, it can be  done in two, with a night in Navajoa.  The days are shorter now, so three days would be better, using Mazatlan or Culiacan for your first stop, and probably Hermosillo for the second night.

• Like 1

3rd vote for the "Pacific Coast" route. I have done both several times over the years and the actual road conditions change seemingly every 6 months... so unless someone who had driven one or the other 'lately' chimes in it's a crap shoot.

Since daylight hours are getting shorter I would definitely spend two nights on the road.... one in either Mazatlan or Culiacán, and then Navoja or Hermosillo and then to the border. 

Depending on when you're going, please make sure that your AC is working perfectly. Especially taking the western route.  I'm in PV right now on an overnight before a direct flight to Toronto. It's 87 F. and feels like 107 F with the humidity. I'm hiding in my room with the A/C until tomorrow morning.

We moved to MX from Scottsdale. Lived in Sonora, 10 years,  then moved to Chapala 12 years ago.  We have made this trip several times.  Western route is the only way to go.  We have found that for us, drive to Mazatlan, spend the night.  Leave early in the morning for San Carlos/Guaymas, Sonora area, spend the night, on to Scottsdale in the morning.  We suggest staying at the Best Western in San Carlos, Sonora.  It is safe, clean and has a great view of the ocean.

6 hours ago, ibarra said:

We moved to MX from Scottsdale. Lived in Sonora, 10 years,  then moved to Chapala 12 years ago.  We have made this trip several times.  Western route is the only way to go.  We have found that for us, drive to Mazatlan, spend the night.  Leave early in the morning for San Carlos/Guaymas, Sonora area, spend the night, on to Scottsdale in the morning.  We suggest staying at the Best Western in San Carlos, Sonora.  It is safe, clean and has a great view of the ocean.

We drove this same route with the same stops when we had a home in AZ.  Except in summer when the days were long and we'd do it with one overnight in Los Mochis.  

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of posters (more than 90) on a FB group I belong to are reporting problems with extortion on the coast toll road.  Here's a link that explains very clearly what's going on:
https://themazatlanpost.com/2019/04/19/peasants-forced-to-collect-fees-in-nayarit-on-the-mazatlan-tepic-highway-by-cartels/  

20 minutes ago, RickS said:

This article is from last Winter and Spring. Is your information that it is still going on, and on a daily basis yet today?

Absolutely, still going on and actually more severe than at the time the article was published.  This article simply explains the 'why'.