Chapala.com Webboard

Where can I find Mexican style dinnerware?

Susy Wilson

Wondering if anyone can tell me where I might find some Mexican style dinnerware? I know I can buy dishes at Walmart but I would sure prefer not to. I know beautiful pottery dishware will be more expensive but that is fine with me:-) Is that something I could find if I went to Tonala or Talquepaque or is there any where lakeside I could find something like this? 

Agree on shop in Chapala, but also look at Talavera Shop in SAT that is across from Panino's;  he has full dish sets as well as unique serving dishes, and odds and ends like coffee cups, s&p shakers, butter dishes, lots of one-offs.  Wonderful owner, Poncho.  This is the shop east of Super Lake (there is another one west of Super Lake but we found them much higher priced on same/similar items.  

FYI, both the local shops can order whatever you want from Delores Hidalgo as that is where their stock comes from.  We went to DH twice but frankly the stores are a little pushy to make a sale.  The mark-up at Poncho's shop is very reasonable and saves a trip if you aren't interested in the drive.  It's a 4 1/2 hour drive to DH, by the way. 

Years ago the Chapala shop had a catalog to order from.  Not sure if Poncho does, but if you find a pattern on the internet that you like, take a picture/website and he will find it in DH for you.  He got a hand-painted mural made for us in DH, based on a photo we gave him of a piece of art.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MichaelB said:

Be prepared to pay " Gringo Tax " if purchased Lakeside. Everything here cost so much more. Because everyone sees the gringos as walking money bags.

When I was last there, the shop in CHapala across from City Hall had prices marked on the items. Unless they ran around and changed all the tags when I walked through the door, no "Gringo tax". Maybe just for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I purchased some lovely stuff at the shop in Chapala across from the city hall. Very happy with it and the price seemed reasonable for the work to me:-)

• Like 1

We've had a set of twelve settings for six years that we've been warehousing in our china cabinet.

They're from Tonala with the classic beige background and a green cactus and mother and young child depicted. They are not talavera.

PM me if interested.

SunFan

We have this nice set for sale 57 pieces for $1800p.

7 Dinner Plates

7 Smaller Plates

7 Salad Plates

2 Platters

4 Large Bowls

3 Small Oval Bowls

1 Gravy Dish + Spoon.

Butter Dish with Lid

5 Bowls

3 Smaller Bowls

1 Large Pitcher.

6 Coasters