Chapala.com Webboard

Potential Deportation of US Citizens Living Illegally in Rosarito

More Liana

https://www.sandiegored.com/es/noticias/178081/Deportaran-a-los-estadounidenses-que-vivan-ilegalmente-en-Rosarito

Although US citizens living illegally in Rosarito are easy targets, I suspect that there is potential for this to spread elsewhere in Mexico, particularly to high-density areas where US expats live.  My opinion only.  

9 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Around Chapala,  Migración hardly even check work permits of foreigners like they used to,  and even less their legal estancia.

Mostly older, retired folks here, and not a lot of young foreigners, lile beach towns.

In general, the expat population living in Rosarito is retired foreigners.  A younger population--and not usually from the US--is at Riviera Maya and at Riviera Nayarit. This new wrinkle comes from the head of INM in Baja California. 

• Thanks 1

No, I think that the horror at the border should be reacted to by Mexico. Perhaps if mexico started treating americans the same way, Trump and congress would do something humane. BTW Immigration judges are doing hearings in under a minute.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

If you read Baja forums like Baja Nomad, you find that there seem to be a lot of folks from the US (and maybe Canada) there who are constantly espousing and bragging about an attitude that makes it evident that they don't think they need to follow any immigration or customs laws, brag about what they snuck through the border, and generally seem to view Baja as just a warmer part of the US. A large contingent of them think it's perfectly fine for them to drive all over the beach and the desert with their ATVs and motorcycles and 4x4s, as if that environment is their own personal playground. 

Rosarito has a lot of working age foreigners who cross into California for their jobs; no way most could afford to live on or near a Southern California beach, but they can in Rosarito.  Ensenada, farther south, is more retiree oriented with newer gated communities and many golf courses, compared to Rosarito which has low cost housing and mobile home parks and overall is a bit tacky.  

3 hours ago, HarryB said:

No, I think that the horror at the border should be reacted to by Mexico. Perhaps if mexico started treating americans the same way, Trump and congress would do something humane. BTW Immigration judges are doing hearings in under a minute.

Aha...but I've not heard of any caravans of Americans or Canadians heading for the southern border demanding they be let in or they will break in. I wonder why that is? ...And if they did "break in" how do you suppose the Mexican government would treat them? I have my own thoughts about that but of course, it's just MHO.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

Aha...but I've not heard of any caravans of Americans or Canadians heading for the southern border demanding they be let in or they will break in. I wonder why that is? ...And if they did "break in" how do you suppose the Mexican government would treat them? I have my own thoughts about that but of course, it's just MHO.

You wonder why that is? Because Mexico is easy about letting Americans and Canadians in. There's no need to storm the border, they are welcomed, their children aren't taken from them and locked away somewhere. They aren't inhumane. In fact, one of the things I love about Mexico is that almost all the immigration and customs officials I've encountered don't find it necessary to shed their humanity when they don their uniform. They still smile, laugh, joke around. Try getting even a hint of a smile out of a US border guard. They're like automatons.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

You wonder why that is? Because Mexico is easy about letting Americans and Canadians in. There's no need to storm the border, they are welcomed, their children aren't taken from them and locked away somewhere. They aren't inhumane. In fact, one of the things I love about Mexico is that almost all the immigration and customs officials I've encountered don't find it necessary to shed their humanity when they don their uniform. They still smile, laugh, joke around. Try getting even a hint of a smile out of a US border guard. They're like automatons.

I would not quarrel with anything past your second sentence. I would totally disagree with your conclusion that there are no caravans because it's so easy to get in. Seems more like there is no free stuff on offer to Que up for. Now, would you like to assert that is how refugees are treated coming in the southern border of Mexico?...I didn't think so.

11 hours ago, HarryB said:

they come on tourist visas and are too cheap to keep their visas current, Check outdated car plates.

My wife served 2 years in the Peace Corps. She tells me that 2 years is the maximum, for a very simple reason:  More than that and the volunteers sometimes "Go Native". You might ponder that.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Interesting observations..Many times the US immigration guy has given me a "welcome  home" greeting...not that I am happy waiting like cattle inline..but that's one r story

Just now, lakeside7 said:

Interesting observations..Many times the US immigration guy has given me a "welcome  home" greeting...not that I am happy waiting like cattle inline..but that's one r story

When we lived here 2008 thru end of 2012, that was our experience as well.  However, since relocating in Ajijic in early 2017, not so much.  We get the skunk eye when they view our passport history (we are either in MEX or EU 85% of the year).  We have been asked questions that agents have no right to ask (do you own a home in MEX?), but we answer rather than tell them it's none of their effing business as we have no desire to miss connecting flights. 

We are pale retirees with non-Hispanic names travelling via Global Entry which means we have been interviewed and cleared by TSA and they have our fingerprints (and now facial recognition attributes); I can only imagine the crap these agents give people they suspect are of Hispanic heritage.  

8 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

When we lived here 2008 thru end of 2012, that was our experience as well.  However, since relocating in Ajijic in early 2017, not so much.  We get the skunk eye when they view our passport history (we are either in MEX or EU 85% of the year).  We have been asked questions that agents have no right to ask (do you own a home in MEX?), but we answer rather than tell them it's none of their effing business as we have no desire to miss connecting flights. 

We are pale retirees with non-Hispanic names travelling via Global Entry which means we have been interviewed and cleared by TSA and they have our fingerprints (and now facial recognition attributes); I can only imagine the crap these agents give people they suspect are of Hispanic heritage.  

Many of the immigration staff are of Latino background and seem to give other brothers a big smile

• 3 months later...

Haha this is so funny. I lived in Rosarito and although I am dual national by birth, I was accused of ratting out a bunch of illegal Americans and Canadians because I was the only one that was not around that day that immigration swept things up. They could not deport me as a Mexican however anyway. I had nothing to do with the immigration raid they do them once in a while. One guy was deported without his motor home as he was forced to fly back to the USA, and banned from entering Mexico again.

This is just something that happens once in a while in Rosarito and Tijuana. This is also how they got Arif Durrani (remember the Iran contra Affair?) out of Mexico BTW https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arif_Durrani , so he could be arrested again by US authorities in 2006.

• Thanks 1

On 9/28/2019 at 8:33 AM, pappysmarket said:

I would not quarrel with anything past your second sentence. I would totally disagree with your conclusion that there are no caravans because it's so easy to get in. Seems more like there is no free stuff on offer to Que up for. Now, would you like to assert that is how refugees are treated coming in the southern border of Mexico?...I didn't think so.

Free stuff is the secret to immigration. You don't see any illegal migrants go where there is no "free" stuff. They are so happy that the citizens of those give up things for their own families to support their "free " stuff. :(

• Sad 3

I suspect that immigrants (legal or not) simply want jobs not free stuff. They want jobs and want to pay their taxes.

Deadbeats come in all races, creeds and colours... and some of them are homegrown. And I won't get into the very wealthy people and corporations who go out of their way to avoid taxation.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pitiful way to think? Or realistic?  When was the last time you visited a food stamp office, welfare office, or public hospital waiting room in the US? 

In one of the debates every presidential candidate raised their hand yes to the question would you give free healthcare to illegal immigrants. 

And now that Mexico won't give free passage to Central Americans, but instead offers work visas for the southern states of Mexico most Central Americans are choosing to stay home. So is it jobs they want? The Chinese, Africans, Haitians, and Cubans can't do that so they pay cartels to help them cross illegaly through Mexico and into the US.

The USA had over one million legal immigrants last year. (possibly the highest number in the world)

Those immigrants went through a process that included proof of income or sponsorship.... Just like Mexico requires proof of income for residency. And those legal immigrants to Mexico bring a lot of money into the economy. 

• Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Those immigrants went through a process that included proof of income or sponsorship.... Just like Mexico requires proof of income for residency. And those legal immigrants to Mexico bring a lot of money into the economy. 

So the only people who should be allowed to immigrate to another country are those who are well-off enough to provide a proof of income that will qualify or know someone who will sponsor them, and bring a lot of money into the economy of the country? Whatever happened to compassion and extending a welcome to those less fortunate than yourself? What's so wrong with wanting to escape a place where you and your family are in danger or wanting to have the opportunity to provide a decent standard of living for them instead of being stuck somewhere where you have no chance of climbing out of poverty and squalor? It's all very nice to say everyone should do that legally, but that's just not possible for many. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are bad or undesirable people.

• Like 2