Chapala.com Webboard

Old posts

Justathought

I know some people chastize those who resurrect old posts and comment on them, but unless the posts have to do with immigration or customs or other similar issues which are now defunct, and therefore would be confusing and incorrect information, I don't see why it's a problem. It seems like a better idea to keep a topic all on one thread than to have 10 different threads on the same thing.  

• Like 2

It is, and you are absolutely correct. Every knowledgeable board moderator will tell you that and in fact insist on it. The good ones who take their "job" seriously will indeed go through posts daily to sort them out in this way. As you say, only if it would cause confusion to continue, will they allow a new thread. One important reason? It is a helluva lot easier to do a search when there are fewer threads.

However, many people who get on a board spend very little time on it, and don't really learn the ins and outs. In particular, this board being mostly for advice to newbies (although it often doesn't seem that way) it is populated with many short-termers... lots of whom are not even really familiar with the search function.

On travel boards where I participate, they inactivate/close threads wthout any new posts in xx months.  You can search and find them and read them, but you cannot post to them.  At the end of these inactive/closed threads, a standard message is displayed saying the thread is closed due to extended inactivity and if a member needs more updated information, they need to start a new thread. 

I believe these thread closures are automatic by the system based on inactivity and time.  No need for moderator intervention.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Justathought said:

How does old posts reappear .?  There have been several in the last few months and people respond to them . ( cough cough including me 🙄) .

Members do exactly as they should and search for a topic rather than creating a new one. Actually if they have new info to add there is no real reason not to put that post back up to be read. It's kind of like a conversation in text on your cell phone. Now I'm are like you in that I go up through the chain of text and delete those that are old to free up memory on my phone.

On a posting, if you see it is old at the first posting just hit the back arrow then select last post showing and scroll up.

36 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

On travel boards where I participate, they inactivate/close threads wthout any new posts in xx months.  You can search and find them and read them, but you cannot post to them.  At the end of these inactive/closed threads, a standard message is displayed saying the thread is closed due to extended inactivity and if a member needs more updated information, they need to start a new thread. I believe these thread closures are automatic by the system based on inactivity and time.  No need for moderator intervention.

Yes, a good point. The software itself is set to check activity, or lack thereof, automatically, and the chief admin determines... based on his/her experience with the board... to what length that period should be set.

40 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

On travel boards where I participate, they inactivate/close threads wthout any new posts in xx months.  You can search and find them and read them, but you cannot post to them.  At the end of these inactive/closed threads, a standard message is displayed saying the thread is closed due to extended inactivity and if a member needs more updated information, they need to start a new thread. 

I believe these thread closures are automatic by the system based on inactivity and time.  No need for moderator intervention.

This sounds like a very good way to administer topics to me.

• Like 2