Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw channels changing today

ComputerGuy

Here is a list of a buncha channel changes happening today. NOTE that some channels are actually moving off the new satellite onto the satellites we can get here in Mexico. I am particularly pleased to see that it looks like Turner Classic Movies will finally be in HiDef. EDIT: CTV National News is now in HD on 94 (Classic).

picture.php?albumid=2763&pictureid=15483

• Thanks 1

Waiting for CBC National to move to HD, supposedly today as well. Why is this important to me? Well, I'm Canadian, yeah... but mostly because they deliver a lot of NEWS, unlike the US news channels that simply blather constantly about Trump no matter what else is happening in the world. Unless they can send Anderson Cooper to a hurricane somewhere.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Waiting for CBC National to move to HD, supposedly today as well. Why is this important to me? Well, I'm Canadian, yeah... but mostly because they deliver a lot of NEWS, unlike the US news channels that simply blather constantly about Trump no matter what else is happening in the world. Unless they can send Anderson Cooper to a hurricane somewhere.

Do the Canadian news channels blather as much about Trudeau as the US ones do about Trump?  And do they send their anchors to cover snowstorms as much as hurricanes in the US?

• Haha 6

Fortunately for our sanity, no, nothing like it. For one thing, news on a politician tends to hang on only as long as the story is new. We don't get these huge panels of "experts" and "pundits" babbling on endlessly about things that haven't even happened yet. We did have one news channel for a while, the Sun Network, based on a Canadian daily rag, desperately wanting to be the Fox news of Canada, but there just wasn't enough interest amongst the entire country in listening to one-sided, corrosive, anger-driven drivel to keep it alive.

And Canadians discuss weather all the time, so it's never news, lol. If you ever lived on the coast in Newfoundland, you'd understand why...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

If you ever lived on the coast in Newfoundland, you'd understand why..

Thanks for the info and I think I'll pass on that one, no offense intended.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

there just wasn't enough interest amongst the entire country in listening to one-sided, corrosive, anger-driven drivel

And if there was / is, it could be supplied by Doug Ford's "fake government news / blow your own horn" channel that Ontarians are paying for.....

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2019/08/18/fords-fake-news-machine-should-be-closed.html

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-news-now-undermines-democracy-1.4769639

22 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Fortunately for our sanity, no, nothing like it. For one thing, news on a politician tends to hang on only as long as the story is new. We don't get these huge panels of "experts" and "pundits" babbling on endlessly about things that haven't even happened yet. We did have one news channel for a while, the Sun Network, based on a Canadian daily rag, desperately wanting to be the Fox news of Canada, but there just wasn't enough interest amongst the entire country in listening to one-sided, corrosive, anger-driven drivel to keep it alive.

And Canadians discuss weather all the time, so it's never news, lol. If you ever lived on the coast in Newfoundland, you'd understand why...

Winter.jpg

Politics.jpg

• Like 1

CBC News channel turned up in HiDef on (classic) 96 yesterday on Shaw. Now we have two Canadian quality feeds that talk 24 hours about... news. This is important to me not just because it's Canadian, and world news is involved. It's also because a lot of news "feeds" from around the world are delivered by Internet webcams, not broadcast cameras: things like Skype video, where the video quality is already compromised. You then take that feed and broadcast it on a Standard Definition channel, and sometimes it's almost unwatchable. At least in HiDef, the quality is enough of an improvement that those video feeds are worthwhile watching.

There is an error on this spreadsheet.  CTV Comedy West is actually on National menu 436, Advanced 176, Classic 547.  Not that it really matters.  If it is on G1 and not F1R we can't get it anyway.  Comedy East we can because it is on F2.

On 9/26/2019 at 10:48 AM, Curmudgeon said:

Any hope for Knowledge Network?

My Knowledge network has been high definition for awhile. 223 on the advanced lineup. 

The primary reason I love Shaw is because not only does it give me  the CNN, FOX and MSNBC news channels but it gives me four channels from my home town, Seattle. And it presently has a stronger signal leaking into Mexico than DISH or DirecTV. But as we all know, Shaw is very slowly changing channels to the satellite Anik G-1 which one can not get down here

After Shaw, I could choose DISH or DirecTV and DISH has a stronger signal leaking into Mexico. And that is why the vast majority of folks down here have DISH. However my condo in Seattle has DirecTV, which I have to pay for whether I am there or not.. So for about five dollars extra per month, I can rent an extra receiver and bring it with me and use it in Mexico once Shaw is no longer an option.

I've got to have my TV  :)