Chapala.com Webboard

Banks recommendations

sm1mex

See charlie at entrance at Lake chapala society near ATM machine.

LCS is now allowing Intercam to set up banking accounts for LCS members. intercam has set up ATM  at entrance to LCS.

Charlie is a straight upfront guy, who will help you get a Mexican bank account and avoid all the problems setting up a bank account.

also his wife Elizabeth is setting up a new location for intercam in Laguna mall soon,

you will get the best service from a bank in lakeside, plenty of parking.

I was on the LCS team researching ATM machines at local provider banks.

intercam came out on top, come use there ATM at LCS

Charlie sets up about average of 4 Intercam accounts per day,  when he is there, he is there most days.

He understands the Mexican banking system, he help you set up a Mexican banking at Intercam with out any hoops to jump over.

Charlie has been helping out the Have Hammer WIll Travel A.C. woodworking school in Riberas  www.havehammer.com

so i say thank to him by posting this.

Wayne

• Like 1

There are so many great options, lakeside. I chose Actinver. Why? One reason is because it allows me to also have a stock brokerage account where I keep a portion of my retirement account. Another is it's location. which is great for me.

And their exchange rate? it's OK if you just have a bank account but its much closer to the spot rate should you have a brokerage account. Having a brokerage account with Actinver also allows me to wire US dollars down to Actinver and they keep the money in dollars accounts until we decide the peso exchange rate is favorable.

• Like 1

This will clear it up:

There are no account fees at Intercam. In fact Intercam is the only one I know of that’s paying an interest rate (average over 3%) on your checking account. No extra fee for money exchange or transfer. Start the account with $10,000 pesos and keep it active. There’s no fee or penalty if the balance does drop below the minimum.  They will open an account with any type of vise or your tourist visa.

Intercam will accept your foriegn check and can make the funds immediately available.

Intercam is a financial group. It is more like a brokerage than a bank. It is one of few banks that is ISO certified. It is Federally certified, regulated and insured to 2.5 million peso. Funds are Morningstar, Fitch and Microsoft rated. They have 85 funds, 5 more are Intercam managed funds.  75 branches, 2300 ATMs.

Debit cards, checks, online banking, bill pay, free ATMs- All the things you expect from your bank at home except they don’t do things we don’t care about: mortgages, car loans, or credit cards.

I am with the new branch coming by the end of the year next to Walmart, bigger than the other one, 24 hour ATM, 2 live tellers, funds, insurance, etc.. CDs in Mexico are paying about 3 times more than the ones in the States...

www.intercam.com.mx

Lots of reasons to bank in Mexico. More reasons to be with Intercam Bank.

LCS has the only native English speaking person in any bank anywhere in Mexico except maybe near the Northern boarder. Come see me at LCS M-F 9:30 to 4:30; Saturday 10 to 4:00.

Charlie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

That's the only problem with Intercam. The current branch has three windows, of which I've only seen two open, and it's always busy, with significant lines.

And I've been there many times without lines. I avoid going there Mondays before 11:30 and Fridays are a problem sometimes.

I went under the raised minimum balance of 4,000 pesos at HSBC, which I was not aware of and they tapped my account 170 pesos every month.  I was not notified and lost quite a large number of pesos.  the web site is hard to navigate as they have changed it several times over the years.  I went close my account and after 1 1/2 hours the one and only "officer"  told me he did not have the authority to close the account.  I would need a manager to do that.  Asking for a manager, they were both not in the bank.  I had to go back to see a manager to close the account.

I opened an account with Multiva.  Very easy, very efficient, fluent English.  I was very pleased.

• 3 months later...
On 9/25/2019 at 3:09 PM, Charlie S said:

This will clear it up:

There are no account fees at Intercam. In fact Intercam is the only one I know of that’s paying an interest rate (average over 3%) on your checking account. No extra fee for money exchange or transfer. Start the account with $10,000 pesos and keep it active. There’s no fee or penalty if the balance does drop below the minimum.  They will open an account with any type of vise or your tourist visa.

Intercam will accept your foriegn check and can make the funds immediately available.

Intercam is a financial group. It is more like a brokerage than a bank. It is one of few banks that is ISO certified. It is Federally certified, regulated and insured to 2.5 million peso. Funds are Morningstar, Fitch and Microsoft rated. They have 85 funds, 5 more are Intercam managed funds.  75 branches, 2300 ATMs.

Debit cards, checks, online banking, bill pay, free ATMs- All the things you expect from your bank at home except they don’t do things we don’t care about: mortgages, car loans, or credit cards.

I am with the new branch coming by the end of the year next to Walmart, bigger than the other one, 24 hour ATM, 2 live tellers, funds, insurance, etc.. CDs in Mexico are paying about 3 times more than the ones in the States...

www.intercam.com.mx

Lots of reasons to bank in Mexico. More reasons to be with Intercam Bank.

LCS has the only native English speaking person in any bank anywhere in Mexico except maybe near the Northern boarder. Come see me at LCS M-F 9:30 to 4:30; Saturday 10 to 4:00.

Charlie

I realize I’m posting to a topic from September 2019. Regarding Intercam, Charlie S posted that, “I am with the new branch coming by the end of the year next to Walmart, bigger than the other one, 24 hour ATM, 2 live tellers, funds, insurance, etc.” Anyone know if this branch is now open (or when it might open) and where it’s located?

16 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

I realize I’m posting to a topic from September 2019. Regarding Intercam, Charlie S posted that, “I am with the new branch coming by the end of the year next to Walmart, bigger than the other one, 24 hour ATM, 2 live tellers, funds, insurance, etc.” Anyone know if this branch is now open (or when it might open) and where it’s located?

I believe it's planned to locate in the huge commercial/residential project between Walmart and Coca Cola. Who knows when that will be finished, if ever.

• Like 1

Regarding HSBC, I went in to close our account, last entry in the check register was 3 years ago with the balance about $700p. What a surprise when he said I had a negative $2900 balance! I didn't have to pay that however in order to close it. 

When you ask questions about banking, it's probably best to qualify what you're looking for. Cashing checks? Wiring money in? Getting cash? Debit or credit cards? ATM access>

Bancomer, Banamex, Santander, HSBO and CI Banco would be classified as regular banks, or the closest to a commercial bank in the US.

Actinver and Multiva are investment houses and could be considered quasi-banks.

Intercam is it's own entity and serves specific purposes, some overlap the other 2 classes.

The other question is if you want access to a physical location. Chapala has all of the banks listed, Ajijic has Multiva, Actinver and Intercam. 

Living in Ajijic I chose Bancomer for checking, debit and credit cards and Multiva for investments and a low limit/backup debit card. 

On 10/1/2019 at 9:22 AM, sm1mex said:

I went under the raised minimum balance of 4,000 pesos at HSBC, which I was not aware of and they tapped my account 170 pesos every month.  I was not notified and lost quite a large number of pesos.  the web site is hard to navigate as they have changed it several times over the years.  I went close my account and after 1 1/2 hours the one and only "officer"  told me he did not have the authority to close the account.  I would need a manager to do that.  Asking for a manager, they were both not in the bank.  I had to go back to see a manager to close the account.

I opened an account with Multiva.  Very easy, very efficient, fluent English.  I was very pleased.

Fortunately I have no requirement to have a minimum balance at HSBC