Chapala.com Webboard

Facial Recognition is Expanding

John Shrall

On a trip to the US last week I stopped at the Global Entry kiosk in DFW. Instead of being prompted to insert my passport for a scan. the machine wanted a photo. The system identified me from the photo and knew the flight number of the plane I had arrived on. One more touch and out popped the receipt for exit. Fast but kind of eerie especially because the photo was really bad and yet they found me.

I passed through DFW in January where the passport scan was still in effect so this is new.

I went thru Phoenix in July and DFW in August - and had booked wheelchair ' cause I do walk but  only need transport on those REALLY LONG walks at some airports.  So while sitting in a chair, the machine took a photo - top half of my face and blurry and still identified me. 

Scary!

Went thru Global Entry  at IAH (Houston) with facial recognition last week.  Fast!  My photo on the receipt was practically a silhouette, but I think that is meaningless; if you 'pass' the kiosk face scan, that's all that matters.  The receipt is simply proof to the immigration agent that you passed the facial recognition scan.  

Just now, zerbit said:

Wonder when chipping at birth will be promoted under the guise of better healthcare records, national security, personal security, bill payment  or just plain old convenience? 

Soon I suspect.

• 2 weeks later...