Chapala.com Webboard

Telcel Calls to US Not Connecting

John Shrall

For the last week or so we have been able to make a cell connection to a phone in the US. After dialing there is silence on my end but the other side rings, picks up and can hear me. This end is total silence. Incoming calls are hit and miss too. Anyone else have the same problem?

The same thing has been happening for me for a couple of months with calls to Canada. Mostly the calls are silent on my end, but occasioally they go thrugh just fine. This seemed to jive with the time they simplified the calling numbers. Strange coincidence- maybe in changing one part of the software, they screwed up another?

• Sad 1

I have major problems with my new Telcel service. I have the same problem as you. I can only text a few words at a time. Lengthy texts never arrive. Got a new debit card. Could not activate it because Telcel does not recognize 833 as a toll free number and won’t allow the call to go through. I have rentals and my tenants must be able to contact me. I now have to rely on WhatsApp and Facebook messenger as a back up. My cell is now totally unreliable. But hey, it only costs $15.00 US per month so I deal. 

2 hours ago, Mijo said:

Being a residente temporal doesn’t allow Telcel to give me a contract. I’m on a prepaid month to month. Service should be the same I hope. 

Contract Requirements TelCel:

" For users who do not have a Telcel line the requirements are as follows:

RFC

Copy of official legible identification, without cuts on the sides

Proof of valid address no more than 30 days

Credit card information (number, validity, validation code, name as it appears on the card)

Home and Office Number

Personal reference with fixed number

In the case of legal persons also include:

Constitutive act, power and identification of the legal representative" [INM visa/card]

https://www.telcelplanes.com.mx/planes-tarifarios/contrataciones-y-renovaciones/

If your Residente Temporal visa/card expiration date was less than 1 year they would not give you a 1 year contract. If you have renewed it for another 3 years they will give you a contract now.

Yep, exact same issue for me the last few months.  At first I thought my new iPhone was having issues but went into TelCel and it's on their end.  No real explanation but I laugh now when it takes up to 3 attempts to get through.  Third time's the charm, LOL!  My friend(s) hear me fine but I just have silence.  Frustrating but persistence pays off.  Hoping whatever the problem is will be sorted soon, though.

Cheers!

Val  :)

1 hour ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Yep, exact same issue for me the last few months.  At first I thought my new iPhone was having issues but went into TelCel and it's on their end.  No real explanation but I laugh now when it takes up to 3 attempts to get through.  Third time's the charm, LOL!  My friend(s) hear me fine but I just have silence.  Frustrating but persistence pays off.  Hoping whatever the problem is will be sorted soon, though.

Cheers!

It only happens on my TelCel phone when I call an AT+T cell phone not a TelCel phone. It is AT+T's problem I think.

14 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Cheers!

Wow, they actually admitted the problem was on their end? Better than the Telcel office I have to deal with in Nuevo Vallarta, who always insist that it must be my equipment that's the problem, even when I tell them everyone else I know is experiencing exactly the same thing.

So they know it's a problem on their end, it's been going one for several months, and they are doing nothing about it. Nice. Typical.