Chapala.com Webboard

Driver license renewal

Guest Fred Flintstone

Many years ago we could get our licenses renewed in Riberas. I think the office was opene full time.. In later years they started coming out from Guadalajara less and less often, but when they did, they would announce when they would come which towards the end would be about once per month. When they did come out, they, there would be plenty of press including announcements in this forum. To the best of my knowledge they do not come out any more...…….

53 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

The answer is no. You need to go to GDL to do it.

Guadalajara is not the only choice. Ocotlan has an office that is easy to find and if you fear driving there you shouldn't be driving. The only drawback is that you must supply a test vehicle for the test but a renewal is a simple quick transaction.

6 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Guadalajara is not the only choice. Ocotlan has an office that is easy to find and if you fear driving there you shouldn't be driving. The only drawback is that you must supply a test vehicle for the test but a renewal is a simple quick transaction.

Only be aware that Ocotlan has in the past told some Chapala residents they needed to go to GDL. Could happen again.  Plaza Las Torres in GDL Is 45 minutes from Chapala.  Easy to find off Lazaro Cardenas. 

12 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Ocotlan accepts all residents of Jalisco. They even give correct INAPAM discounts.

Don't want to argue just advise. They are supposed to do any Jalisco resident. That being said they have refused some Chapala residents in the past. All recaudadoras in Jalisco honor the INAPAM discount

I have learned that many federal,  state, and municipal offices don't always follow the rules.  They make up their own. Just ask for the 50% discount on your predial in Chapala and see what they say to non Mexicans. Federal law requires them to give it to you. Good luck. 

I would not advise my friends to go to Ocotlan because I am aware that there is a posibility, however small, that they could be refused. That posibility does not exist in GDL.