Chapala.com Webboard

A RANT

Ferret

It is, unless you are a computer geek. There is no easy switch or button. Only WiFi presents itself to be metered.

Because Microsoft hasn't built metering Ethernet connections into Windows 10, you'll need to take a trip into the Registry Editor to change this setting. Messing around in the Registry Editor can break your computer, so the usual warnings apply -- do not try this hack unless you're comfortable using the Registry Editor!

1. Right-click the Start button and choose Run to open the Run window. In the Run window, type regedit and press enter to open the Registry Editor. If prompted by the User Account Control, click Yes.

2. In the Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost.

2-regedit.png  

3. Right-click on DefaultMediaCost and click Permissions...

regedit2.png.235b83f47bef765c7c80b3cb45313753.png4-click-advanced.png  

4. In the Permissions for DefaultMediaCost window, click Advanced.

RedEdit.png.9ec42fef7284dd30a369b0bf8787acb4.png

5. In the Advanced Security Settings for DefaultMediaCost, click Change next to the owner.

5-advanced.png  

6. In the text box labeled Enter the object name to select, type in Administrators and click Check Names.

6-type-in-administrators.png  

7. You should see a name pop up that looks similar to this. Click OK.

7-name-checked.png  

8. Check the box next to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click OK.

8-replace-owner.png  

9. Back in the Permissions for DefaultMediaCost window, click Administrators to select the group and then under Permissions for Administrators make sure the Full Control Allow box is checked. Click OK to exit this window.

10-modify-ethernet.png  

10. Right-click on Ethernet and click Modify. An Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value window will open.

11-metered.png  

11. To set the connection as metered, change the Value data to 2.

12-non-metered.png  

12. To set the connection as non-metered (default), change the Value data to 1. Hit OK to confirm, exit the Registry Editor, and restart your computer to save the changes.

Tags

Ain't that the truth.

For those following my original rant, I just received THIS e-mail from Apple Support. Fast aren't they? I sincerely hope that none of you ever has to go through this. I laughed out loud at the location. It seems they're not very good with direction either.

Dear XXXXXX XXXXXXX,
An account recovery request for your Apple ID (XXXXXXXXX@yahoo.ca) was made from the web near Mexico City, DIF on September 18, 2019 at 9:18:58 PM CDT. The contact phone number provided was +52 xxx-xxx-xxxx.
You will receive a text or a phone call at this number when your account is ready to recover on October 16, 2019 at 9:18:58 PM CDT. For updated status information or to provide additional information to help recover your account, visit https://iforgot.apple.com
If you didn’t make this request or do not recognize the information presented above, you should cancel account recovery immediately to keep your account secure.
Apple Support

I just want to make one suggestion to anyone with Apple products.

Please add an alternate cell phone contact to your account NOW before it's too late. One never knows if the sim will fail or your phone could fail or be lost or stolen. Messaging seems to be Apple's preferred method of contact so please provide them with an alternate cell phone number so your butts are covered.

Ferret, I hope this message doesn't irritate you any more than you already are, but IF, in the future, you need to contact Apple Support, I have a suggestion that MIGHT help. 

I am an Apple user and owner of 38 years, and I have had my share of aggravations with them. When I was a teacher using the products I had a tech to run to for advice . As a civilian now, for over 10 years, I took this tip from a salesman and have used it ever since.

Dial an Apple store in a large city the US and tell them you have "such and such" a problem with whatever device,and do they have someone to help you. Often they put you through to a "Genius" and then he or she usually transfers you to the Technical Support Division.

Calls from stores seem to be answered/issues resolved much more quickly than general 1-800 Support calls. I have had Apple Support call me on my house phone while working with me to try to "unbrick" my iPhone. It is important that they have another number to call on.

I hope that you get your issues resolved. It can't hurt to try what has worked for me, and the calls are free, since they come from a landline number in the states.

Best of luck. Cindy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1