Chapala.com Webboard

Sim card across mexico

Charlene

The SIM may not even be good anymore depending on how long it's been since you used it. Used to be if they weren't used for 6 months, they were defunct. Not sure if that' still the case. 

And if it's still good, the credit would no longer be good, it has a time limit. So if the SIM still works, just go put more $ on it. with the Sin Limites option, it's unbelievably cheap- unlimited calls and texts anywhere in Mexico, US and Canada.I get the 150 peso option, it's good for 25 days.

And calls aren't long distance just because the phone number is from another part of Mexico- if you're physically present Lakeside, calling someone else Lakeside, that's local- it's where the phone is situated, not what the number is.

We bring our Cdn. unlocked cell phone (Telus) to Mexico each year and several years ago bought a Telcel SIM card for it.  We use the Telcel card while there for 6 months and then let it expire.

When we return for the winter, we go and see Ana at the Telcel store ( TelCel )  just south of Alex's Pasta and she renews it.  We use the same telcel number (SIM card) year after year.

I'm sure others will tell you the same thing - Go see Ana !

Ana sometimes has such terrible service. Long waits while she chats. Last time I went she would not help me as I had bought a plan though he Telecel store. She said go to the Telcel store n Laguna.

• Sad 1

You don't need to go to any special office. Just put time on the card.  If you are in doubt if it is still working put the sim in your phone and call it. if it rings you are all set.  Normally it is in the 7th month or later when Telcel re-issues the number to a new sim.  

You can add time in Oxxo, 7-Eleven, Soriana, Wall Mart etc.

Or save time & gas... go to mitelcel.com open an account and add time on-line using any credit or debit card. If you don't want a mitelcel account you can use telcel.com  to make payments without opening an account. Just click regarga tu saldo amigo and follow the instructions. 

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Ana sometimes has such terrible service. Long waits while she chats. Last time I went she would not help me as I had bought a plan though he Telecel store. She said go to the Telcel store n Laguna.

I've have just the opposite experience with Ana. Would NOT go anywhere else. Always courteous and attentive to my needs. Chatting with friends or other customers while I wait is not a problem for me. YMMV

And when you do a "top-up" at the Oxxo type places (electronically thru the cash register) it shows immediately on your phone, so another way to confirm it is active.    If unsure, just put on 30 pesos, quick cheap verification.