Chapala.com Webboard

Which Mexican SIM card?

freewilly

Some NOB carriers have partnered with Telcel so that changing your SIM card is not necessary.... it just starts using Telcel as one crosses the border. T-Mobile is one for sure... I have them.  And probably at least AT&T since they have a presence in Mexico themselves. 

Then once in Chapala, if planning on staying/living here you could at your leisure switch to someone. If it were me it would be Telcel as their coverage is much better than AT&T... in my experience. 

20 hours ago, RickS said:

Some NOB carriers have partnered with Telcel so that changing your SIM card is not necessary.... it just starts using Telcel as one crosses the border. T-Mobile is one for sure... I have them.  And probably at least AT&T since they have a presence in Mexico themselves. 

Then once in Chapala, if planning on staying/living here you could at your leisure switch to someone. If it were me it would be Telcel as their coverage is much better than AT&T... in my experience. 

The case with my Canadian sim card is if I use it in Mexico I am charged $12 for each time I use my phone in Mexico. An expensive partnership.

Spend that 12 bucks with Telcel Amigo and you'll get a generous plan of voice, text, and data for a month.

50 or 80 pesos I believe to buy the SIM card. 

AND, the same plan works in the US & C w/o roaming charges.....wow.

Luv my Telcel plan. I signed up when the package that I have was still available, and they honor it even though the $199 plan includes less now. . I pay $199 per month. Have unlimited calls & texts Mexico, Canada, USA to and in all those countries. Unlimited social media & WhatsApp plus 1gb of internet. When I purchased my last phone I was given a $2000 peso credit on the price, and a free basic cell phone with chip and $50 credit which I sold for $200.  Hard to beat.  

• 2 weeks later...