Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex modem

jguerin

They gave me a replacement one Tuesday even though I didn't have the one that wasn't working with me. No questions asked by Telmex. I didn't report it- I just dropped in to their office. When I got home the one that hadn't been working was working. So I have a spare.  

You should check out the one that they gave you as well Cedros. They can and do hand out modems that have been turned in without checking to see if they work.

Depending on your level of aggravation, it is far easier to buy a NEW Telmex modem from Mercado Libre that WORKS right out of the box than to deal with the Telmex office in Ajijic.

• Like 1

Their policy for the last three years has been to refuse to offer replacements, instead insisting that the Service number in Mexico be called. Here's hoping they have changed that BS policy (as in, you pay to rent their equipment, which they then refuse to fix without a great big hassle). I have my doubts, however... just the other day a customer of mine said they "lioaned" him one until Mexico City helped.

An addendum to my post is that for the same three years, even with the order number from tech support, the local office has insisted you must receive your modem by DHL or whatever service TelMex is using at the time.

My personal opinion on this I have stated before. This seems to be unique to lakeside. A lazier bunch of layabouts I have never known. The people at the desks are fairly young, but ever since I've been here, they act like they are just putting in time until retirement (which will be a major percentage of their salary). No one else in Mexico where expats gather does anyone receive this kind of poor treatment from their local TelMex office.

• Like 1

I totally agree with CG. THIS Telmex office in Ajijic is the only one where I have experienced such poor customer service.

And, yes, do call the 1-800 number on your modem. Ask for an English speaking tech. They will run you through the diagnostics to determine if it's a modem problem. They WILL send a modem to you if asked. They are superb with their customer service and it was them who directed me to Mercado Libre and even gave me the model names and numbers to look at.