Chapala.com Webboard

Lan 2 light blinking or off back modem

sm1mex

My Infinitum modem at the back of the modem Lan 1 cable is to the internet connection and Lan 2 cable is connected to the computer.  The Lan 1 light  stays lit but the Lan 2 light on the back of the modem may stay lit, or blink or go off. 

Is this Lan 2 cable from the modem to the computer supposed to stay lit all of the time?  If so perhaps I need a new modem.  this one is quite old.

There should be a telephone cable coming into the jack labelled DSL. The four LAN ports will go to different devices: eg: computer, Vonage or Magic Jack, an extra router or "bridge"... that kind of thing. Flashing lights mean only that information is being sent back-and-forth. The important thing is that the light is ON, regardless of being steady or flashing.

LAN 1 cable is not the Internet connection. The internet connection is from the telephone jack/filter in the wall; referred to on the modem as DSL. You should follow it, see where it goes.

If you are getting Internet on your computer, then all is well. Do your speed test. If it is maintaining its speed, then no new modem is required. Not to mention, just trying to get one out of our local TelMex office is a whole ball of bees.

Sometimes Lan 2 is on steady, sometimes it blinks and sometimes it is off.  Yes the internet connection is from the telephone jack.  Also when the computer goes to sleep, the Lan 2 light, which goes to the computer, goes off.  Does that sound right?  when the pc is asleep the Lan 2 light goes off?

I changed the cable so I know it is not a faulty cable.

Lan 1 goes to our magic jack gizmo and and then the gizmo is plugged into power.  I am not having any problems, just the Lan 2 light goes out when the pc goes to sleep or is off.  I guess that is ok since everything working fine.  With phone, magic jack computer, transformers, power chords, etc.  It is hard to tell where anything goes.  But everything works.

Thanks for the help.

• Sad 2