Chapala.com Webboard

AJIJIC 2007 INDEPENDENCE DAY DESFILE, PARADE

ezpz

I am not feeling well to go out to the festivities but I have a huge supply of older fotos dating from 2007 which are not online since Webshots was dismantled in 2012.  So, I am uploading older fotos that by now are almost historical.  Ajijic was more down to earth back then.  The traditions were hugely attended, but not by gringos.  Very few people had the computer skills to upload fotos in those days, so there is not much online from that period, pre- smart phones.

My early impression of the traditions here was amazement of how much the kids and even babies are part of the scene.  The little ones are not shut up and shunted to the side, they are very much a part of life here, which centers around family and the traditions.  All the generations together.  The kids here are so much more polite, cheerful, and responsible with this kind of upbringing, so different than up north.

I'm thinking of starting a FB page called Ajiijic Archives, Archivos to display my older fotos.  Think there would be much interest?

I can hear the grito from my house, time to sign off and go up on my roof to watch the fireworks!

Here is the parade, enjoy!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, David Rodwell said:

Pretty fabulous!!!

Gracias!  My attitude about photography is that the pictures are already there.  All you have to do is take them.  Meaning, you have to be where the action is.  These traditions are widely ignored by gringos, except a few who line the streets of the parades in the morning.  My fiesta fotos used to be very popular on Webshots, I would get hundreds or thousands of views for each one.  Virtually no gringos went to the fiestas, much less for fotos, and very few Mexicans had the computer skills to upload fotos, so my work was very popular.  That has changed in the era of smart phones where "everybody" is now a photographer and everyone just likes to look at their own selfies.  Bo-ring!.  There are lots of Mexicans up north who like to see what is going on in their home towns.  

Here is one of my all time favorite fotos, very seasonal now.

DSCN1359.JPG

I arrived in Ajijic in July of 2007, but didn't get my blog "Jim and Carole's Mexico Adventure" underway until October of that year, so I missed chronicling the 2007 Independencia Fiesta. However I did do 2008 and several other years since. Here are three links to posts I did on several different parts of the Fiesta:

The Parade: https://cookjmex.blogspot.com/2008/10/independencia-16-de-septiembre-fiesta.html

The Charreada: https://cookjmex.blogspot.com/2008/10/independencia-part-2-charreada.html

The Globos: https://cookjmex.blogspot.com/2008/10/indendencia-part-3-globos-rebozos.html