Chapala.com Webboard

Where to buy a nice Catarina

On 9/15/2019 at 2:30 PM, camillenparadise said:

A friend from the distant past is coming for a visit next month. She's never been to Mexico. I would like to give her a really nice Catarina as a gift. Where to look for one? Hopefully near the Lake, not Tonala or Guad. TIA.

Howdy,

Is a Catarina a ladybug? One of the cutest bugs we have and they eat aphids!!

Here is what Mr. Google told me a Catarina is:

What does Catarina mean in Spanish?
ca·ta·ri·na Feminine - Noun - Singular Plural: catarinas. Translate "catarina" to English: ladybug, lady beetle, ladybeetle, ladybird, Coccinella septempunctuata. Spanish Synonyms of "catarina": catarinita, mariquita, chinita, cochinilla de San Antón, petaca, San Antonio. Translate "Catarina" to English: Catarina.

So you are looking for a cute bug?
  • Sad 1

The talavera shop in SAT nearest to Panino's restaurant always has some catrinas; giant display of catrinas around Dias de Muertos.  I have worked with the owner, Poncho (not Pancho) for kitchen/bath tiles, sinks, a mural, dishes and even a talavera toilet.  He is easy to work with, better prices than the other talavera shop (the one that is east of Super Lake).  

Here is link to website:  https://talaverashouse.com/catrinas

• Like 1

23 hours ago, johanson said:

Here is what Mr. Google told me a Catarina is:

What does Catarina mean in Spanish?
ca·ta·ri·na Feminine - Noun - Singular Plural: catarinas. Translate "catarina" to English: ladybug, lady beetle, ladybeetle, ladybird, Coccinella septempunctuata. Spanish Synonyms of "catarina": catarinita, mariquita, chinita, cochinilla de San Antón, petaca, San Antonio. Translate "Catarina" to English: Catarina.

So you are looking for a cute bug?

It's not a catarina at all.  It's a CATRINA.  The word (catrín for men, catrina for women) means dressed up fancy in the style of the late 1800s and ready to go out to a party, the theatre, a dinner dance, etc.  Even today, if your neighbor sees you going out your front door, all dressed up, she might say, "Uuuy, qué catrín!"  For a woman, she would say, "Uuuuy, qué catrina!"

The catrina has become a symbol of Day of the Dead in just the last few years.  That symbolism was NEVER the intention. 

Here's the story.  https://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2018/10/dancing-with-death-josé-guadalupe-posada-and-the-history-of-the-catrina.html  

Thanks for the great link, More Linia. My Spanish is getting much better, but I am nowhere close to ever matching your ability. I'm just too old and LAZY.  

You have a great website. Oh I am a great cook, too. I make some of the best meals in my microwave up here in Seattle. They are all TV-dinners, purchased at the local grocery stores and of course, Costco, my favorite store.

All kidding aside, I make great popcorn and coffee. But that is about all I can do in the kitchen other than heating up my TV-dinners.

• Haha 1