Chapala.com Webboard
Zeb

Pharr versus Laredo - recent experiences

I have not crossed the border back from the US into Mexico in quite some time.  As I am planning a trip, and information changes, I'd appreciate some feed back on safety and anything that could help me decide which border entry point to pick.  I will be coming back from Houston, so Pharr is definitely closer.  If I opt for to cross at Pharr, I will need two things:

A secure place for me to spend the night on the Texas side before crossing over the next morning.  There will no pets, so that is not a consideration.  Does not have to be in Pharr.  Could be within 30 minutes or so from there and the same is needed on the Mexico side for the person waiting for me.

If I opt to enter through Laredo, I know a good hotel there so no problem on the US side, however, I don't know where one would stay on the Mexico side.  It can be a thirty minute ride or so away from Laredo into Mexico.

I usually cross at Anzalduas which to me is more convenient and the lines are not long.  On the Texas side a freeway connects about ten towns in a row so you can take your pick of motels. I’ve lived in this area most of my life so I feel safe staying just about anywhere here.  If you need a co-pilot I’m usually available.

3 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

In Nuevo Laredo there is a nice Holiday Inn Express on Donaldo Colosio which is the road by the river.  It's near the zoo about 10 minutes from the bridge #2

...and often used by the Federal Police.

15 minutes ago, RickS said:

...and often used by the Federal Police.

My experience with hotels used by the Federales has been that they are extremely noisy drunks and I figure if I know where they stay the bad guys probably do also. I avoid them like the plague, but as always, YMMV.

Looking at the map, Pharr really is less of drive from Houston, so we will take that route.  Hopefully, find some good hotel on the route.

Yes, a newbie at Laredo  is usually SOL weaving thru streets and then backtracking.