Chapala.com Webboard

Do You Like Korean Food?

AngusMactavish

I was in Guadalajara yesterday for some medical diagnostics. Since i had been restricted to fasting for a long time, when finished I went to the closest Asian restaurant I could walk to. It happened to be Korean, my favorite cuisine, so I went there. Normally I have never found Asian food cooked by people from the country's land. I actually have never seen an Asian running or cooking cooking in any Mexican restaurant serving Asian food, I was shocked to find in this place not only Korean management but cooks also. The place was fantastic, the food served quite good and it was complemented with actual  banchan of unlimited quantity. Need an authentic Korean fix? This is the place.

Gami Comida Coreana

th?id=OIP.as9CcwQfyEWpwN_Za9b5dwHaHa&pid

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thx for the info and the review. 

For those who don't venture to Guadalajara, I have found good gojuchang sauce at both SL and Walmart in the past months.  For those who are unfamiliar with Korean food, gojuchang is a really tasty Korean bbq sauce.  I use it to turn leftover chicken or cooked pork into a Korean-fusion taco (add some chopped cabbage or kimchi)  🌮 🌮 

FYI, decent kimchi is available at the Monday market at Sunrise, and also at the little "health food" store at Encarnacion Rosas and Constitucion in Ajijic (the name escapes me).  Same brand, but at the Monday market he had both regular and extra spicy.  

Last time I shopped for it at WM was maybe a year ago??  Probably in Asian area, but possibly near the bottled salsas (play the WM treasure hunt game).  Last one I bought at SL about a month ago.  Don't remember price, but it wasn't eye-popping given that it remains pricey in non-Asian stores in US.  Lasts pretty long, a little goes a long way.  

• Thanks 1

I saw 2 brands at SL this AM...127 and 132 pesos.  Neither are the brand I last bought a month or 2 ago, so it's possible I bought the last one at WM, sorry can't remember, but I think I paid around 90p for it???  The one I have in fridge now (and like a lot) is Bibigo brand, nice and spicy.  

• Thanks 1

Pho  “ pronounced.   fuh  “  is actually Vietnamese and the ingredients are readily available in Ajijic about half a mile away from anywhere..... The main concern is the broth...most don’t understand you cannot make real broth with just bones...it takes meat and bones roasted and simmered . As usual the proof of the pudding is always in the basics....

Welcome to my world after cooking professionally for over 50 years , what l wouldn’t give for an authentic Asian restaurant of any persuasion...I can cook a variety of Asian dishes but I find them a little more  challenging , requiring more concentration at the last minute as opposed to European cuisine ...Some one else....being the operative word !

On 9/22/2019 at 9:20 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

Pho  “ pronounced.   fuh  “  is actually Vietnamese and the ingredients are readily available in Ajijic about half a mile away from anywhere..... The main concern is the broth...most don’t understand you cannot make real broth with just bones...it takes meat and bones roasted and simmered . As usual the proof of the pudding is always in the basics....

When I make pho, I start two or even three days before: roast a lot of bones, along with them roast an inexpensive cut of beef called chambarete (which you can buy either with or without bones, get 'with'), roast the vegetables, and simmer for about 15 hours.  Strain, save the meat for something else, and go from there, continuing to simmer the stock with ginger, Mexican stick cinnamon, coriander seed, fennel, star anise, etc to season the broth correctly.  I always ask my butcher to cut the actual beef for the bowl of pho in paper-thin slices.  

Now I want some.  

After the fall of Saigon, many Vietnamese refugees arrived in DC-Metro in the 1970s where we lived and worked.  Vietnamese eateries sprang up around us; at the same time I began hiring Vietnamese workers at my office.  They would tell me the best places to get pho (fyi, Viet nationals traditionally eat pho for breakfast).  They told me the best pho places were those that never let their pho stocks run out....they basically kept their stockpots simmering non-stop, adding more basics to it as needed, but never letting it empty.