Chapala.com Webboard
Upfront

from temporary to permanente

If you have had temporal the right number of years, then no financials are required.  Insofar as other documents, I am not certain.  I know you will need the temporal card and your passport.  Immigration here in Chapala will let you know what else may be needed.  They do speak English.

I have ben to their offices and gotten a list of reqs. No proof of income for sure. M Spanish is not that great and I missed some things like this carta bajo protesta done hace peticion para obtener residencia. Is this a letter that I write that states why I want to live here. The agent did say something about they providingit.

And two copies of recibo recepcion y estudio. And proof of being retired or pensioned. Unfortunatly the agent did not speak English. Not enough people in town needing the services I guess.

Upfront, could you edit your posts before posting? That's some awful typing.

I can't answer your question, but I'm also curious. Does anyone know what this "letter" is, and exactly how does one prove retirement or pensioner?

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I can't answer your question, but I'm also curious. Does anyone know what this "letter" is, and exactly how does one prove retirement or pensioner?

I had my wife composed the letter when I went from 2 years on a RT to RP married to a Mexican National. I can look for a copy of it if you want. Basically it had a business style with the complete official name and full address of the INM office [To:] and my complete name and address and my Resdente Temporal number and CURP, US passport number [From: ]

Then it stated I want to apply for a RP visa because I live in Mexico and will continue to live here and I am a retired pensioner. 

Then it stated all this informaion is true and I swear under penalty of law.

Then it was signed, dated, place - San Luus Potosi by me.

They accepted it.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Sorry bad arthritis

2 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

I had my wife composed the letter when I went from 2 years on a RT to RP married to a Mexican National. I can look for a copy of it if you want. Basically it had a business style with the complete official name and full address of the INM office [To:] and my complete name and address and my Resdente Temporal number and CURP, US passport number [From: ]

Then it stated I want to apply for a RP visa because I live in Mexico and will continue to live here and I am a retired pensioner.  Then it stated all this informaion is true and I swear under penalty of law. Then it was signed, dated, place - San Luus Potosi by me. They accepted it.

Sounds like the letter was enough to covr retirement too.

At the INM office in Nuevo Vallarta they gave out a sample letter that you just copy, putting in your own information. There was nothing in there about being retired or a pensioner when I did it several years ago. You certainly don't have to be retired or receiving a pension to get permanente status. 

They did the same for me this week. A couple of phrases to write out by hand and sign. on a letter they provide. Including a statement about being retired. i wonder if the is necessary becaus of no req for income statements

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

They did the same for me this week. A couple of phrases to write out by hand and sign. on a letter they provide. Including a statement about being retired. i wonder if the is necessary becaus of no req for income statements

https://www.gob.mx/sre/acciones-y-programas/visa-de-residencia-permanente

Google Translation:

"Home: Ministry of Foreign Affairs Actions and Programs> Visas for Foreigners

Permanent Residence Visa

Applicable to foreigners who intend to enter the permanent resident status.

Author Secretariat of Foreign Affairs Publication Date July 23, 2015

If the period of permanence in Mexico will be greater than 180 days and less than 4 years, it is mandatory to process a Temporary Residence visa.

If the intention is to remain in Mexico for more than 4 years, you must process a Permanent Residence visa, complying with the following

Requirements:

Passport. A photograph. Be nationals of the country in which they apply for a visa or prove legal stay. Economic solvency. Cover the payment of corresponding rights in the form and amount indicated by the Federal Law of Rights. following assumptions:

a) Be retired or pensioned.

b) Family bond (parents, minor children, siblings, concubines, minor stepchildren) with Mexican or foreign person who has the status of Permanent Resident or Permanent Resident visa holder. In the case of the spouses, concubine or concubinary, they will be documented with a Temporary Resident visa, subject to compliance with the condition requirements that they must maintain for 2 years and subsequently request the permanent resident card from the National Migration Institute (INM).

5. Cover the payment of corresponding fees in the form and amount indicated by the Federal Rights Law.

Note: The residence card that accredits your legal stay and allows you to remain in national territory must be processed within the next 30 calendar days from your entry into the national territory."

The SEGOB  INM 2011 Immigration law has a point system to qualify for resident visas/ cards. The minimum financial solvency is from pension income [some Mx. consulates accept other sources of income but it is not in the INM law to allow this] or investments and is for retired pensioners to get approved for resident visas. The Residente Temporal visas with minimum proven financial solvency states that you are applying as a retiree to be accepted. The above requirement in the quote it also stated for applicants of Residente Permanente you must be a retiree.

Others than pensioners applying for resident visas do not need to prove financial solvency for the INM point system but many Mx. consulates that do process financial solvency applications require the applicants be 55 or older - AKA pensioners. Don't let the no need for a work visa when becoming a Residente Permanente confuse you. You got appvoved when proving your financial solvency applying as a retiree 4 years ago.

Because I'm planning to move to Mexico in the fall, I had the same question, and got this answer below from the Mexican consulate in my town in Canada. My understanding is that you need to go to your local consulate and prove income if you are applying directly for a Perm Res Visa, without previously having a Temp.

Regarding your inquiry, please be advice that when transitioning from a Temporary Residency into a Permanent you do not need to come to the Consulate. You need to apply in Mexico and requirements are different, no proof of income is requested as long as the conditions for a TR are meet and kept during the 4 years.

When you go to INM office in Chapala, if you are lucky you will get Amanda. She is bilingual and firecracker smart. Her Father is a popular local restaurant owner, Ruben. How will you recognise her? I think she looks like a younger Catherine Zita Jones.

1 hour ago, ChrisR said:

Because I'm planning to move to Mexico in the fall, I had the same question, and got this answer below from the Mexican consulate in my town in Canada. My understanding is that you need to go to your local consulate and prove income if you are applying directly for a Perm Res Visa, without previously having a Temp.

I think they misunderstood your question.

If you want to apply for a first time residency you definitely need to apply at consulate outside of Mexico.  .

Only note that the monthly income requirement (or savings account balance)  for permanente is about 60% higher than for temporal.  

As a permanente you can not drive a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. 

Wow! I went from temporal to permanent residence last year. Used a lawyer. I had to fly back to the states, prove my financials again. Are you folks saying I didn’t even have to leave MX?  

• Sad 1

No, you did not have to leave Mexico or prove your financials. Evidently, you left, cancelled your Residente Temporal and then applied for Residente Permanente, having to go through the 'canje' process with INM again, in Mexico, to get your new Permanente visa card.

You should have done your homework during your years as Temporal; but that is water over the dam, isn't it?

If you do have your Residente Permanente card in hand, there are no further renewals.

1 hour ago, bobboyeson said:

Wow! I went from temporal to permanent residence last year. Used a lawyer. I had to fly back to the states, prove my financials again. Are you folks saying I didn’t even have to leave MX?  

Seriously? That mistake must have cost you a few bucks, time, and frustration. If I were you, I'd find a new lawyer.

• Like 1

Going from temporal to permante is only a paperwork process. Most people do it without a lawyer. Sounds very odd what you had to go through.

12 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Going from temporal to permante is only a paperwork process. Most people do it without a lawyer. Sounds very odd what you had to go through.

If you want to go from RT to RP inside Mexico before the 4 years on a RT you need to show/proof off a higher financial solvency minimun than if you did it at a Mx. consulate.

27 minutes ago, AlanMexicali said:

If you want to go from RT to RP inside Mexico before the 4 years on a RT you need to show/proof off a higher financial solvency minimun than if you did it at a Mx. consulate.

True. Better to wait and save the problems & costs. Plus they paid to travel.  Obvious thought bad atty but who knows?