Chapala.com Webboard

Passing of David McLaughlin

RickS

David and his wife were dear, dear friends of my Mother and myself. My move to Mexico was partly predicated on his offer to me: "Come to Mexico for three months, work half days re-coding my Website so I can sell it and retire-retire, and take every afternoon off. Enjoy life, my friend. Enjoy."

That was 16 years ago. I was not able to finish the Website, but I did find a new way to enjoy life.

• Like 7

I'm so deeply saddened by this news.  David and I were good friends for more than 20 years.  He...nope, can't talk about it yet.  I don't know how to make this fit in my head and heart.  QEPD David, te envío un abrazo fuerte hasta donde tú estés.  ❤️ 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

David gave me a book called "There's a Word For It in Mexico", I think, that described in great detail how the words we use here paint a picture of the culture. "Abrazo" is one of those words. I was so absorbed that I started buying it for my own friends, to help them understand. Another thing I was always appreciate about David.

https://www.amazon.com/Theres-Word-Mexico-Lafayette-Mente/dp/0844272515/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=there's+a+word+for+it+in+mexico&qid=1568388940&s=gateway&sr=8-1

• Like 4

He was a dear man. He has just moved even farther away from us here in Mexico, a move he started a number of years ago when he moved back to Canada. I still have his hatband and some of the spices from their kitchen that they gave me when he and Cynthia broke up house here. They will both be missed in this world.

• Like 5