Chapala.com Webboard

Flying to Mexico from the US with temporary residence card

sls

I have a mexico temporary residency card, and I live part-time in California and part time in Mexico.

I am flying to Puerta Vallarta from San Diego, and am a bit confused about the process of entering and exiting Mexico in a way that I don't lose my residency status. I know I am not supposed to be processed as a tourist, as that will override my resident status.

Can someone confirm that my understanding is correct about what I will do? My understanding is then when I'm in flight to Mexico, I will be given the FMM form. (I do not have an existing FMM form from previous travel to/from Mexico as I drive by car normally)

I should complete the top portion of the FMM form making sure I select "other" as purpose of trip, and include the number on my resident card in the portion on the top that says "No. de Tarjeta".I believe I write Mexico as my country of residence. 

Then, when I land, I should go in the line for Mexico citizens/residents. I need to make sure the immigration officer selects the "Tarjeta Residente" box in the USO Oficial part.

Then, when I depart from the Puerta Vallarta airport to go back to San Diego, I give the immigration officer the bottom part of the FMM form and make sure "other" is checked for purpose of trip and again make sure the immigration officer selects the "Tarjeta Residente" box.

Is this correct?

Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Correct except you do not get in the Mexican citizens' line.