Chapala.com Webboard

VISTA DEL LAGO

4 minutes ago, traderspoc said:

You may want to get a  electric car to save on gas as you visit Ajijic or Chapala twice a week

I live in Chapala and am a social member of the country club at VDL and we frequently eat at the restaurant there. It is about 5 minutes from my house to the club. Also,  I have several friends living there. None feel the need to have an electric car to save on gas. And, they go to Chapala and Ajijic often. VDL is five minutes down the road, not at the end of the earth. 

• Like 2

About 8 km tops from Chapala to VDL.     10 min going slow.    

Nice community, safe, gated & manned entry & exit.     The colonos has good cooperation with the golf course / country club, (CCC) to mutual benefit.

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Five minutes??? NFW as it is possibly 15.

Sorry, Angus. It may be 15 minutes for you. I live in the Las Redes colonia and it takes me five minutes. I do appreciate you mansplaining how long it takes me to drive somewhere though. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Nice community, safe, gated & manned entry & exit.     The colonos has good cooperation with the golf course / country club, (CCC) to mutual benefit.

Did that Rick!    Good comment though.

• Like 1

I think a lot depends on how social you are and how much you like to drive. Most areas of Chapala are at least 10 minutes away (sorry Xena but from where I lived in Chapala I couldn't have made it in 5 minutes on a dare.) and Ajijic another 15 minutes or so. If you like to attend lots of cultural events and eat out frequently, I would expect the drive would get old quickly. If, on the other hand, you play golf, are more of a homebody, and like quiet country living it could be the perfect place for you.

• Like 1

In all honesty, we people at Lakeside are some what pampered and bitchy.  If it is a 5 minute drive or 10 minutes or 15.  Everything is super close here.  What is the argument?  Be it 5 or 10 or 15 min max, everything at Lake Chapala is fairly close.  People living in the states would laugh their arses off listening to us old boring farts  complaining about a 10 or 15 minute streatch of a 2 lane highway with almost zero traffic (the Mezcala Hwy).  Life here is wonderful, if you don't believe me, take a trip up North.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

In all honesty, we people at Lakeside are some what pampered and bitchy.  If it is a 5 minute drive or 10 minutes or 15.  Everything is super close here.  What is the argument?  Be it 5 or 10 or 15 min max, everything at Lake Chapala is fairly close.  People living in the states would laugh their arses off listening to us old boring farts  complaining about a 10 or 15 minute streatch of a 2 lane highway with almost zero traffic (the Mezcala Hwy).  Life here is wonderful, if you don't believe me, take a trip up North.

So who provides the water for the fracc, city, golf club or do they have their  own well??

Water is supplied by the frac.  Current cost is 11.5 pesos per cubic meter which is the commercial rate because the  Well is owned by the Golf course which is considered a business.  VDL has applied to CONAGUA for a permit to drill a second well which will owned by the frac and may lower the rate to home owner use.

A lot like a Sun City.  Rules and Regulations.  You might stop at the office and ask for a copy of the BY Laws.

35 minutes ago, masongringo said:

Water is supplied by the frac.  Current cost is 11.5 pesos per cubic meter which is the commercial rate because the  Well is owned by the Golf course which is considered a business.  VDL has applied to CONAGUA for a permit to drill a second well which will owned by the frac and may lower the rate to home owner use.

A lot like a Sun City.  Rules and Regulations.  You might stop at the office and ask for a copy of the BY Laws.

Thank you. So water is "owned " by the golf club , who many years back had significant arrears in payments, and a resident named Prince?? met his demise when he tried to resolve the issues

11 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Once you get to the Mezcala hwy,  it's an easy,  beautiful drive. Getting through Chapala not so much.  If they ever connected the Mezcala highway to the highway to GDL, development would probably explode.

Now you have to drive over the mountains...( huge topes on the road through Chapala )

1 hour ago, ea93105 said:

Once you get to the Mezcala hwy,  it's an easy,  beautiful drive. Getting through Chapala not so much.  If they ever connected the Mezcala highway to the highway to GDL, development would probably explode.

Now you have to drive over the mountains...( huge topes on the road through Chapala )

I live in this Chapala and none of what you have said is true so is there another Chapala somewhere? And I can tell you with impunity that the indigenous majority of Mezcala would never allow development to explode nor even gain a toe hold.

9 hours ago, happyjillin said:

,,,,,,indigenous majority of Mezcala would never allow development to explode nor even gain a toe hold......

So true,.... don't you even think about building in that direction (past VLD). Listen to  stories of people who tried. No new roads would change that . On top of that anything east of VDL is in not in Chapala municipality. A disadvantage for anybody who does not speak Spanish. So I doubt that there would be many people wanting to move there.

To OP. We rented in Vista del Lago few years back and we liked it. We did not think that the fees, regulations (etc) were any worse than any other fraccimientos we rented at lakeside.  But we only stayed one winter so our knowledge is very limited.  The treck to the "town" could be tiresome if you would have to do it often. Our stay there was pleasant, quiet and uneventful.(Limited cultural experience) The restaurant setting is very nice. We drive out there couple times every winter just for that reason. It is not heavily traveled road and the drive is pleasant. , Living there full time could be another story which I have no knowledge of. (Only rumors which would have to be checked out).

Not sure if this note is  useful info (to OP) but maybe will help few  newcomers.

All the best.

2 hours ago, ea93105 said:

If they ever connected the Mezcala highway to the highway to GDL, development would probably explode.

There are connections now, albeit not "highway" ones.   Here are 3, there are others as well:

Going from west to east on the Chapala / Mezcala carraterra, and also sort of in order of "driveability" / quality of the roads....

1 - At Santa Cruz, from the north end of the town, goes past the dump, to connect to the highway to Guad (connects at Ixtlahuacan)

2 - At San Juan Tecomotlan (goes past the large dam & reservoir to the La Barca highway at Atontonilqiullo (near Atequiza)

3 - and north of Mezcala (to the La Barca highway), the "scenic" back way to go to Poncitlan / Ocotlan

• Thanks 1