Chapala.com Webboard

ophthalmologist

sunshine59

Yes, you will. And most people recommend Dra. Claudia Camacho who is currently on maternity leave. But, it will take you that long to get in to see her anyway.

For the record, I have two friends close to Joco and they have both had cataract surgery with her. Excellent results and no problems. Dra. Claudia helped another friend who is a snowbird that had a bad cataract surgery with another opthamologist here.

As for me, she is watching a small cataract in my right eye until it gets obnoxious enough to cause me a problem. In other words, she will try and avoid doing the surgery until necessary. How refreshing is that?

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Yes, you will. And most people recommend Dra. Claudia Camacho who is currently on maternity leave. But, it will take you that long to get in to see her anyway.

For the record, I have two friends close to Joco and they have both had cataract surgery with her. Excellent results and no problems. Dra. Claudia helped another friend who is a snowbird that had a bad cataract surgery with another opthamologist here.

As for me, she is watching a small cataract in my right eye until it gets obnoxious enough to cause me a problem. In other words, she will try and avoid doing the surgery until necessary. How refreshing is that?

The whole family is the best. Her sister has taken over while she's on maternity. Wife and I have had them done with great success at the facility  that her ophtha mother owns. Call her office for an appointment here in Chapala. The # is in numerous threads in the archives here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Phone their office

Please...I did not ask YOU. I was trying to get an idea of the actual (hopefully negotiated) prices that actual patients have paid. Why do you think that I would "phone their office" to ask a secretary who will give me a rote answer from some price list there. Frankly I am tired of seeing replies to perfectly asked questions posted here such as "Sn. Google knows", "Check Facebook" "Phone their office" and other innocuous remarks not related to the specific questions asked. Just my OPINION. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Please...I did not ask YOU. I was trying to get an idea of the actual (hopefully negotiated) prices that actual patients have paid. Why do you think that I would "phone their office" to ask a secretary who will give me a rote answer from some price list there. Frankly I am tired of seeing replies to perfectly asked questions posted here such as "Sn. Google knows", "Check Facebook" "Phone their office" and other innocuous remarks not related to the specific questions asked. Just my OPINION. 

I agree.  Most of us can figure out to make phone calls.  There is always a reason for asking someone who has actually used the services.  I get frustrated with those types of replies also.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

You would have to go and see the Ophthalmologist. REALLY! I'm not kidding. All eyes are different and the options are endless. Plain? Bifocal? Trifocal? Do you want one lens to see distance but the other for reading?

It doesn't come down to cost either when you're talking about your eyesight. imho.

• Like 1

I have used and can recommend Dr. Rigoberto Rios in Mirasol.

My cataract surgery turned out to be more complicated than we thought, but he was supportive and all has turned out well.

This was my 3rd surgery with him, so I have some experience from which to speak.

I had 2 other surgeries when I lived in Japan, and I can say that the care I received here was even better than i had in Japan. Of course, much of the cost per surgery depends upon the type of lens that is used.

As another poster stated, every eye is different. Prices vary when you look at hospital choices (mine was in GDL, but now he operates at the new hospital in San Antonio), personal health risks, and the type of lens you choose.

I recommend a 1-1 consultation with ANY eye doctor that you choose.

1 hour ago, gringohombre said:

How about,you need to be examined and  you want to negotiate the price? Go to the tianguis and talk to the chicken butcher and see if he can do you for a NEGOTIATED price. you claim to have asked a PERFECTLY ASKED QUESTION so based on your standards I have given you a what I  consider a PERFECTLY crafted answer. Competent Ophthalmologists don't hand out ballpark hotdogs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Cost for cataract surgery will vary with the lens choices of plain , bifocal or the most expensive trifocal lens from Germany. These choice are dependent on the condition of your eyes and cost can vary depending on other medical conditions one may have with their eyes.  I recently had  my second  cataract exam at Dr. Claudia's office  after having the initial exam two years ago, I am not ready for surgery yet. Dr Claudia's younger sister, Dr. Paulina and Dr. Claudia's Bro in-law,  Dr. Michael both Ophthalalmogist's  are filling in for Dr. Claudia doing eye exams.  Dr .Claudia's Mother is also an Ophthalmologist' in Guad.

Two years ago my exam was $700. p,  recently it was $900. p.

• Like 1

I have the trifocal lenses implanted Dr Rios...they are great!  There was absolutely NO pain.. Fast recovery for me, but YMMV.  One thing the Drs don't tell you is how much brighter EVERYTHING will be after cataract surgery.  Be prepared to need dark sun glasses afterward....3 yrs later, I still suffer from the sunlight but wouldn't trade my new vision for anything!

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

How about,you need to be examined and  you want to negotiate the price? Go to the tianguis and talk to the chicken butcher and see if he can do you for a NEGOTIATED price. you claim to have asked a PERFECTLY ASKED QUESTION so based on your standards I have given you a what I  consider a PERFECTLY crafted answer. Competent Ophthalmologists don't hand out ballpark hotdogs.

I was asking those who have gone through this procedure for feedback and ballpark figures, SmartyPants. I received 2 very detailed PM's with very good information on both counts, and I appreciate that very much. Am i not allowed to ask for this information here since I need to estimate how long I have to save in order to start this process. Please stay out of my life!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Both myself and my wife went through this procedure and what we paid might well be way more or way less than you will pay. Good for you that you got 2 people to tell you how much they paid. Are your eyes the same as theirs, do you want single, double or triple lenses? Are your eyes even a good candidate for the surgery? If saving up for the procedure is that important you should see the Dr. ASAP to get the true cost for your eyes and perhaps even be able to work out a payment plan or at least get on the waiting list for the surgery.

Good luck, if you truly need it you will be amazed at the difference.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I had been suspecting this condition for some time since driving at night is now impossible with oncoming lights "dazzling" and blinding me. I went to a regular optometrist (Dr. Pinto) with my concerns and...yes, "for sure, cataracts in both eyes" he said. Now, as a lifelong businessman my job is to collect as much information as possible to winnow down the options to find the right solution. And yes, I do consider this a business transaction between myself and the the medical "profession" and I am certainly not going to lay down and accept whatever they demand. I will by then have "ballpark" figures and options that I have learned from such as the 2 very generous folks whom I mentioned before. That is the value of this board, not the few here who think they have all the answers to everything and blabber on and on and on and.......

• Thanks 1

...Or the people who act like wannabe Mods and tell other users how to act, what can and can't be said, yadda, yadda, yadda.

PS  My cataract surgery has improved my eyesight 300+% but oncoming headlights at night are still a huge problem.  YMMV

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1