Chapala.com Webboard

Living in Chapala Haciendas

SOBDave

And I agree with happyjillin. I have owned three homes in Mexico over the last twenty-three years. None of them had electric fences but only high walls. Never had a break in. Maybe I'm just lucky but I don't think so.

I have a new neighbour who just moved into the new home built beside me. He put up an electric fence on top of a 12 foot wall. I'm not happy because it's UGLY. As far as I'm concerned, he just put up a big sign that tells everyone he has something worth stealing. YMMV.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

A few years in Ajijic, and a decade more in Chapala, with simple walls and locked gates, and we never felt insecure. We never had any break-ins, felt comfortable traveling, and enjoyed life completely. In both cases, we were on a normal street, less than three blocks from centro.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mountainazalea said:

Don't think I need an increased dose of paranoia, but thanks for letting me know.  I look at the new listings on chapalamls every day and see a lot for Chapala Haciendas.  Have wondered if it's due to any crime increases there or other reasons, or just is.

There are new construction ones - a few that a spouse died and they returned NOB and were renting and now the owner decided to put on the market since the market is better than a few years ago - one wants to travel more - personal reasons (not related to crime) - people splitting up - one wants more space - some just want to go back NOB - owner death and house put up for sale - weekenders wanting to sell - just the trend now - plenty on the market everywhere.

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:53 PM, purpleflower said:

There are new construction ones - a few that a spouse died and they returned NOB and were renting and now the owner decided to put on the market since the market is better than a few years ago - one wants to travel more - personal reasons (not related to crime) - people splitting up - one wants more space - some just want to go back NOB - owner death and house put up for sale - weekenders wanting to sell - just the trend now - plenty on the market everywhere.

Exactly this. Take the advice already given and TAKE A WALK AROUND THE AREA (for emphasis, not to be screaming). How does it feel to you? Would you like this style of living or do you need to be closer to town? There is a LOT of activity everywhere. We have a lot going on here because the area is really picking up. Some folks are selling to flip a quick peso, some because they're getting older and can't handle the hills, etc, etc. Regardless of what anyone tells you, only you can decide if it's a good fit for you.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 11:39 AM, happyjillin said:

There is a Chapala crime group on facebook with mostly paranoid members who are ready to tell you how they have installed every security device known to mankind in their casa, city country, fracc,wherever. we live in Chapala centro,have 3 dogs not for security but for pleasure and they needed rescuing from the street. Our front wall is 12 feet high. There goes Zeb's theory.

I have no theory.  I am just passing along information I obtained from thieves.  Each person makes his/her own decisions based on their comfort zone.

On 9/11/2019 at 1:34 PM, SOBDave said:

Thinking about moving out to Chapala Haciendas #1. Can anyone who lives out there comment on: Noise/dogs... crime/theft.... and issues with land/soil as it relates to problems with the home foundations. 

Just DON'T buy...rent first, so that you can get a real sense of the neighbourhood.

I do agree renting first is essential.  What you want when you first get here has a high probability of changing.  Where we wanted to live at first would not have been a good choice.  When you live here a while, you see what your activities are going to be and where and you learn the different areas.  A lot of information is obtained by acquaintances you will meet.  They will give you useful information.  Nonetheless, there is criticism and benefit to all locations. 

I used to think Ajijic was great.  Now I definitely would not want to be there due to noise and crowding and the streets are hard to walk in.  I used to think Riberas was too far from everything.  We ended up renting there and it turned out to be very convenient to everything.  Now we are in Chapala Haciendas and like it for the quiet more country like surroundings.  I used to think it was also far from everything.  I have changed my mind.  It is eight minutes to Soriana and shopping in Chapala.  There is also the Libramiento which is an efficient ride to Walmart and the shops in that area.

I did think Vista del Lago was a bit too far.  On that, I have not changed my mind.  It's not so far, but really inconvenient when you run out of something and not well lighted in the evening.

By the way it is all one Chapala Haciendas.  The numbers only represent the entrance numbers.

Edited by Zeb
Additional sentence.
  • Like 3