Chapala.com Webboard

Living in Chapala Haciendas

SOBDave

12 hours ago, chapalence said:

There are a number of dog hoarders/collectors/"rescuers" living in CH. Visit the house you're looking at and walk, don't drive, the area at different times of the day before deciding. Sound carries! Also, the arroyo area is mosquito heaven for 6 months of the year. 

A good recommendation for any fracc that you maybe considering 

10 hours ago, Xena said:

Just recently a CH resident commented that a well-known dog rescuer/hoarder in the fracc  had been up to 50 dogs at one time. The good news was that she is down to only 15 dogs. The fracc’s codes say no more than five dogs per house.

The Chapala Hacienda's codes say many things, most of which are ignored.

13 hours ago, chapalence said:

There are a number of dog hoarders/collectors/"rescuers" living in CH. Visit the house you're looking at and walk, don't drive, the area at different times of the day before deciding. Sound carries! Also, the arroyo area is mosquito heaven for 6 months of the year. 

I can't dispute your second sentence (walk, don't drive); 

Dog hoarders/collectors/rescuers - yes there are at least two houses that have an excess of dogs (15+) but the dogs generally don't bark all the time. Sometimes the dog telegraph operates but that is usually a indicator of cows, horses or someone walking around at night.

Arroyo being a mosquito haven - up until the last 2-3 weeks the arroyo has been dry, very little standing water and although it may not appear to move, it does.

XENA - "The fracc’s codes say no more than five dogs per house" ;  when the fracc by-laws were amended two years ago I tried to get a limit put on the # of dogs but this was denied so not sure where you are getting your info from.

• Like 1

Every time the subject of CH comes up so many that do not live here seem to know it all.  We have lived here for almost 10 years and would not change for anything. We originally bought and lived in Ajijic and it was not for us, talk about rules or regulations not being adhered to!  Talk to the people that do live here and have for years. Mosquitoes, we had more when we lived NOB. If you are looking to live in an area that is for the most quiet and want a country feel, then this is it.  You will have your occasional Mexican party with music but believe me nothing like they have in either town. Dogs, yes, you will hear dogs at times, like widesky said above. When we have an issue we speak to our Security-Maintenance person (who lives here) and he is pretty good at getting it settled.   Break-ins, sure we have had some just like the other towns. We have never had one but we practice common sense security. Do we feel secure here, yes. Would I walk around at night, yes.        If you are really interested, then please come out here for yourself, stop at the office and speak to our office Manager, ride around and talk to us, the people that do live here. Good luck.

• Like 4

“XENA - "The fracc’s codes say no more than five dogs per house" ;  when the fracc by-laws were amended two years ago I tried to get a limit put on the # of dogs but this was denied so not sure where you are getting your info from.”

As I said in my post, a CH resident comment is what I was relating. Sorry if that was not clear to you. Since I do not live there and the person commenting does I saw no reason to fact check the rules. Though since, as you noted, the rules are not enforced I guess it really does not matter. 

3 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach said:

Every time the subject of CH comes up so many that do not live here seem to know it all.  We have lived here for almost 10 years and would not change for anything. We originally bought and lived in Ajijic and it was not for us, talk about rules or regulations not being adhered to!  Talk to the people that do live here and have for years. Mosquitoes, we had more when we lived NOB. If you are looking to live in an area that is for the most quiet and want a country feel, then this is it.  You will have your occasional Mexican party with music but believe me nothing like they have in either town. Dogs, yes, you will hear dogs at times, like widesky said above. When we have an issue we speak to our Security-Maintenance person (who lives here) and he is pretty good at getting it settled.   Break-ins, sure we have had some just like the other towns. We have never had one but we practice common sense security. Do we feel secure here, yes. Would I walk around at night, yes.        If you are really interested, then please come out here for yourself, stop at the office and speak to our office Manager, ride around and talk to us, the people that do live here. Good luck.

Exactly. I've lived here for 15 years and love it. While we have problems, like any community, I feel safe enough that I walk every morning when it's still dark. Not once have I ever felt threatened. Many others take advantage of the suburban feel to walk/run. The arroyo is behind us, too, and in 15 years, we have never had a mozzie issue. Quite frankly, I can count on one hand the number of mozzies that I've actually seen/heard.  As another said, the arroyo is usually dry. If it's rainy season, the water is rushing...you just don't often see standing water. While you'll get that neighbor who might party, it's usually a one-off thing (except for our neighbor, the wannabe drummer who can't sing worth shi*, but that's another topic :P ). This fracc is undergoing some serious gentrification. If you look around, you'll see that there is new construction and renovations. You get a lot of house/land for the money. In other words, it's whatever experience you make of it. The best advice you were given is to come out and just walk around (use a map, it can be confusing, at first).

I'm a single woman considering moving to CH.  I love nature, and have a horse.  I realize from reading and looking at homes there that I would need to put in a good security system.  I have a few questions and would so appreciate some input. 

How safe would it be for me to come home at say 9 at night by myself?  House I'm considering has a carport.

Is there a cohesive expat community in CH?  Or a cohesive community of expats and Mexicans who live there?

I like to walk, is it safe to walk/hike through the area during the day as a single woman with a dog (Rottweiler mix - but she's a real wimp!)

I am an avid swimmer and I know there's no pool.  There is the hotel close by with a pool.  Are they friendly and if anyone knows, possibly open to a non-guest swimming for a fee.

Thanks again, and maybe I'll be your neighbor!

32 minutes ago, Mountainazalea said:

I'm a single woman considering moving to CH.  I love nature, and have a horse.  I realize from reading and looking at homes there that I would need to put in a good security system.  I have a few questions and would so appreciate some input. 

How safe would it be for me to come home at say 9 at night by myself?  House I'm considering has a carport.

Is there a cohesive expat community in CH?  Or a cohesive community of expats and Mexicans who live there?

I like to walk, is it safe to walk/hike through the area during the day as a single woman with a dog (Rottweiler mix - but she's a real wimp!)

I am an avid swimmer and I know there's no pool.  There is the hotel close by with a pool.  Are they friendly and if anyone knows, possibly open to a non-guest swimming for a fee.

We live in CH and like it.  There is a right spot for everyone; some like city life; some like a country feel.  We like the country feel, plenty of nature around us, most neighbors nice people.  Around the holidays, one resident has a party for everyone.  All I can say is, we've been more successful at meeting others here than other places with all the high walls.  We lived in Riberas for more than two years and never were able to really connect with the neighbors.  If you have a horse, it's a good place.  Safety...well things happen everywhere, so no one can tell you where it's safe.  If we could predict crime, we would and what a world that would be.  Things have happened here as in other places.  Develop good safe habits and be cognizant of your surroundings.  Many of your neighbors will probably have pools and if you make friends, you may be invited to use the pool.  If you choose this place as your home, send me  a PM and we'll be happy to meet you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mountainazalea said:

Coming home alone at night - no matter where you live always be aware of your surroundings.  We have solar lights installed and work great - we have them set up all around our property including in our carport.  We have a BOD that meets on  a monthly basis at the office. You could always contact the  office 765-4045 and confirm with David the office manager and come to a meeting. This way you could meet some here and ask questions of the residents.

Our Fracc is a mix of expats and locals - as anywhere else you do have your clicks, some of which you may like and some you may not.

We have many residents that walk their dogs, they should be leashed but some do not, they should clean up after them but some do not. We do. We feel safe here walking day or night - common sense security should be used no matter where one lives. If you feel a bit uneasy then you can carry  pepper spray when you go out.

Don´t know about the pool but you could always stop over at the hotel and ask. Tell them you will be living at CH - maybe if they do not have an open pool policy they may start one, you never know. Will you be purchasing or renting? 

Like I said in my other posting we have been here many years, mainly because of the country feel, so if that is what you are looking for then this is the place.

If you need any further info please PM me and I will do my best to help.

On 9/15/2019 at 6:03 PM, Mountainazalea said:

Thank you!  I'm planning to purchase.  Will definitely get in touch if I come to look at places there.  Been down twice and looked in San Antonio/Riberas area.  It's growing rapidly and I am a country girl at heart.

Well then you will like it.  Horses, goats and sheep in our area.  We have a great breeze when people in Riberas are further down and homes hotter.  We also have better water.  Riberas has the worse water in the area.

If you are buying, no matter where you are, plan on having several security features.  One thing I want to mention.  Thieves like high walls because, once they are in, they do what they want without being seen.  Have watched videos of former thieves and they like homes with lots of concealment.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 12:52 PM, Zeb said:

Well then you will like it.  Horses, goats and sheep in our area.  We have a great breeze when people in Riberas are further down and homes hotter.  We also have better water.  Riberas has the worse water in the area.

If you are buying, no matter where you are, plan on having several security features.  One thing I want to mention.  Thieves like high walls because, once they are in, they do what they want without being seen.  Have watched videos of former thieves and they like homes with lots of concealment.

Interesting point!  What about electric fences?

24 minutes ago, Mountainazalea said:

Interesting point!  What about electric fences?

There is a Chapala crime group on facebook with mostly paranoid members who are ready to tell you how they have installed every security device known to mankind in their casa, city country, fracc,wherever. we live in Chapala centro,have 3 dogs not for security but for pleasure and they needed rescuing from the street. Our front wall is 12 feet high. There goes Zeb's theory.

• Haha 1