Chapala.com Webboard

Seat belt tickets being handed out like candy east-side of La Floresta

gringohombre

Bad day so far. I had to get some money for a worker at my house and tried 4 ATM's with no luck here in SAT. Decided to go to Ajijic and found the money, but in my rush to get back home to pay him I forgot to buckle up. A gang of cops on the north side were eagle eyeing all cars going both ways and i got waved over. Tried to snap the belt in place before he reached me but he just smiled and asked me for my license and registration. I took only about 5 minutes to complete the paperwork and as he was leaving my window he spotted another offender and waved him over. There were about 5 cars pulled over on the north side. I understand that the fine is now $500 reduced to $400 if paid within 5 days. Please tall me the most convenient place to pay nearest to SAT.  Be careful...I have learned my lesson!

21 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Hope for you its only 500. I think I had to pay 600 last time I was ticketed for seatbelt violation 

See page 26 :

www.chapalalaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Driving2018.pdf

I am not sure what the fine is...this is what a Mexican friend told me, maybe his info is outdated. Can someone confirm that I can pay at OXXO. Gracias

Thanks for the update.  Can someone clarify if it's just the driver who must be buckled up or ALL passengers?

Thanks,

Val  :)

• Sad 2

http://www.chapalalaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Driving2018.pdf   This has already been referred to above.

I have copied the part that pertains to your situation:

Article 183.- The following infractions will be fined from 10 to 30 UMAs ($806.00 to $2,418.00 pesos 2018) excluding 25 & 50% discounts for prompt payment) for the following infractions:

I. Not using a seat belt or using it inadequately, the driver as well as the other passengers; Collective, massive and public transport vehicles and site and radio taxis shall observe, respecting this law, the technical rules spelled out and corresponding to the conditions and quality of service.

II. Transporting a child under twelve years old in the front seats except vehicles which have no rear seats. In both cases the child should be transported in security seats and with a proper restraint system adequate for their age and build duly secured.

Public transportation vehicles should follow the legal technical specifications applicable.

Now if they would only turn their attention to all the drivers who think it is OK to drive through a red light.

Or, how about an illegal left turn.  If they are not going to enforce the no left turn sign at Colon on the Carretera than they might just take it down.  Traffic at that location is slow enough with people stopping to make that left turn. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the clarification.  I knew the driver must have on his/her seatbelt but was unaware that all passengers were legally required to wear theirs.  As the main driver in our family, I do buckle up but have found it difficult to get some passengers to do the same.  I'll explain that it is they who will pay the fine if I am pulled over due to their refusal to buckle up.

I am curious how they handle the large numbers of individuals packed into the back of pick up trucks who are not buckled in.  Clearly the idea of wearing a seatbelt is a safety issue.  I often watch with great concern for the large numbers of family members and/or workers who are being slung to and fro by the driver of the pick up and worry that one or all will be tossed out.

55 minutes ago, Floradude said:

Now if they would only turn their attention to all the drivers who think it is OK to drive through a red light.

Or, how about an illegal left turn.  If they are not going to enforce the no left turn sign at Colon on the Carretera than they might just take it down.  Traffic at that location is slow enough with people stopping to make that left turn. 

They could remove the bike lane there that doesn't care it's fair share of traffic and add a left turn lane. We know the taxis and police will never stop doing that left turn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

Thanks for the clarification.  I knew the driver must have on his/her seatbelt but was unaware that all passengers were legally required to wear theirs.  As the main driver in our family, I do buckle up but have found it difficult to get some passengers to do the same.  I'll explain that it is they who will pay the fine if I am pulled over due to their refusal to buckle up.

I am curious how they handle the large numbers of individuals packed into the back of pick up trucks who are not buckled in.  Clearly the idea of wearing a seatbelt is a safety issue.  I often watch with great concern for the large numbers of family members and/or workers who are being slung to and fro by the driver of the pick up and worry that one or all will be tossed out.

Given what goes on with the back of trucks and the scooters, the seat belt thing is more about revenue than anything.  Don't kid yourself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Given what goes on with the back of trucks and the scooters, the seat belt thing is more about revenue than anything.  Don't kid yourself.

When the law is not enforced you complain, now they are enforcing it and, surprise, you are cynical once again. It should make you happy they are enforcing the law and getting the revenue, which may possibly mean improved services down the road. Don't worry, be happy. Perhaps the trucks and scooters will be next, although I have seen them impounding motorcycles and scooters. 

• Like 7

So glad the Transitos are doing their job.  They could make so much more revenue for the municipality by enforcing the traffic laws, especially in Ajijic.  You never see Transitos in the village of Ajijic (or Chapala for that matter).  They could make a ton of money there with parking spaces taken up by boxes or whatever else the owners of the businesses put out to prevent parking.  I just wish they would also crack down on the use of cell phones while driving.  We see so many people driving around lakeside with the damn phone either stuck to their ear, or the driver's  head down looking at it.  Just my little rant.

• Like 1

When someone complains about getting a ticket for a seat belt violation, one can safely assume they have never been in a head-on collision.  I was and the seatbelt saved my life.  It was me in a Toyota Tercel against a late 1970s Volvo wagon (famous for being built like a tank) on a limited access highway.  

I fasten my seatbelt before I turn the ignition key.  

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Arroyos said:

So glad the Transitos are doing their job.  They could make so much more revenue for the municipality by enforcing the traffic laws, especially in Ajijic.  You never see Transitos in the village of Ajijic (or Chapala for that matter).  They could make a ton of money there with parking spaces taken up by boxes or whatever else the owners of the businesses put out to prevent parking.  I just wish they would also crack down on the use of cell phones while driving.  We see so many people driving around lakeside with the damn phone either stuck to their ear, or the driver's  head down looking at it.  Just my little rant.

They are all over Chapala every day. Since they started Madero has far less double parking ,for example, than when it was the state transitos They removed chairs,boxes,etc. long ago. I  actually live in Chapala and generally my eyes are open when I roam about.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

When the law is not enforced you complain, now they are enforcing it and, surprise, you are cynical once again. It should make you happy they are enforcing the law and getting the revenue, which may possibly mean improved services down the road. Don't worry, be happy. Perhaps the trucks and scooters will be next, although I have seen them impounding motorcycles and scooters. 

Just pointing out this is an easy target for revenue enhancement.  I'm cynical in general about what traffic enforcement has become in a lot of places.  It really is about extracting money from the public a great deal more than any real concern for your safety.  Of course it is a lot harder to catch red light and stop sign runners, speeders and drunks than it is to stand on a corner and wave people over for ticket writing. 

But who do you think is a greater danger to other motorists and pedestrians?

Those who are so naive to think these cops are the least concerned about your safety, enjoy the illusion.  BTW no one including me rides in our car unbuckled.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Willie said:

I too live downtown Chapala and feel they are NOT enforcing the no double parking law...just came home...a mess all along Madero.

Sometimes you feel like you are navigating a parking lot on Madero.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Sometimes you feel like you are navigating a parking lot on Madero.

It seems to very much depend upon day and time. For awhile there was an enforcement push. As usual it did  not last long. Now, it is back to business as usual. That includes days and times where there is little to no double parking. That has to do with business operations and not law enforcement. That is how it seems to me anyway.

14 hours ago, ibarra said:

II. Transporting a child under twelve years old in the front seats except vehicles which have no rear seats. In both cases the child should be transported in security seats and with a proper restraint system adequate for their age and build duly secured.

And what about all those folks barrelling down the highway with their kids in the back of the pick-up truck? That one always blows my mind. If they're on holiday and have a bunch of luggage with them, they put the luggage up by the cab and leave the kids sitting right by the back truck gate, so they'll be the first to go if they get rear-ended. I understand that a lot of people can't afford a vehicle with seats for all, but you'd think it would occur to them to at least pile the luggage at the very back to protect the kids.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1