Chapala.com Webboard

Aluminum pool "cage" company here?

kimanjome

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

What's the point of a locking door if the whole thing is just mosquito screening that anyone can cut in a second? What am I missing here?

Keeping the small children and pets inside when the patio door is open to let air into the house possibly.

We built a 2 story house in Ajijic around 2005 and the "contractor" took our rough sketches and proceeded to draw in the ground the "idea" so his workers could see what we wanted. 4 1/2 months later we had the house just about as we had envisioned it. Back then, permits were something you got after the building had been done. The point is they can do almost anything you want if you can give them a drawing or better yet, a picture as vista lake suggested.

I think the more term for your "Cage" would be Lanai'

Lanai (Architecture)
A lanai or lānai is a type of roofed, open-sided veranda, patio or porch originating in Hawaii. Many homes, apartment buildings, hotels and restaurants in Hawaii are built with one or more lānais.
I have thought someone could make a good living here at lakeside building the Lanais from aluminum extrusions and screen.

Yes, Angus's photo is exactly what I want.

In Florida the covered patio area is called the "lanai".   The actual structure itself is called a "pool cage" or a "pool screen" or "screen cage".  Its only purpose is to keep the bugs and leaves out.  As a side benefit the smaller pets--and possibly children who are above drowning age--are kept inside an enclosed area. It is not a theft deterrent. They are ubiquitous in Florida. 90% of the single family homes have them, as do most multi-family villas and condo units, pool or no pool. It makes sitting outside far more enjoyable.

In Florida we had them in every house in which we lived. I can't understand why they don't exist Lakeside and other areas where there are mosquitoes. 

488.jpg

As a FL homeowner, I can confirm they are called "cages."  Why don't they cage swimming pools here: I would guess the bug population in FL is about 100 fold what it is here.  I have not been bitten this year and I spend most of the day outdoors; I do avoid walking on the lawn in the summer as that's where I have noticed them and been bitten in the past.  

Why no aluminum screened terraces here.....the local tradition is heavy metal.  Our terraza is screened on two sides with ironwork and a rather heavy screening material.  There are decorative features to break the monotony of the screening, vines, leaves, a few hidden birds.  

OP...have you gotten an estimate from an ironworker?   Often it is cheaper to go with local materials and workers rather than try to find something that isn't normally used here.  

terraza.thumb.JPG.53a0f34fa0194695e31d2ca419b95c97.JPG

• Like 3

That's beautiful Bisbee Gal! It has so much more personality than the photo the OP provided Yes, it will have to be painted occasionally but worth it!

FYI, IF you have something made of iron, you could have the screen boxes made from aluminum and use magnetic tape on the frames at the back. That's what I did for my kitchen door. They snick tight to the iron with no spaces for anything to pass through but are easy to pull away. Over time, I will do that to all my screens that have a LOT of screwed in holders in place. The aluminum must be flat at the back.

If affordable, I would most definitely go with the aluminum. The metalwork is a constant upkeep of rust removal and repainting. And in my experience, while the Mexican metalworkers may do a beautiful job on the metalwork, they tend to suck at the painting aspect- they use grey primer, which is intended for galvanized metal, rather than the orange primer that is known here as "mineo" because it's cheaper, and they thin out the primer and paint too much so it gets easily through their paint sprayers., or if they're hand-painting, it's easier to apply thin. So it doesn't last well. Even the professional painters do this. After paying 3 different "professional" painters to repaint my outside staircase over the course of 8 years, only to have the paint start coming off and the metal rusting within a few months, I finally spent a week and seriously hard labor doing it myself. No flaking paint, no rust now for almost 3 years.