Chapala.com Webboard

Source of crushed gravel

Natasha

Five years ago we used the next to smallest size of crushed  gravel(not pea gravel, which is round and slippery underfoot) to xeriscape our garden. Over time it has disappeared into the soil layer below, and we need to  top up in places.

The place behind Pemex in Ajijic was the original source, but they can no longer get it.  The size they have (fractionally smaller) is just a little too fine and disappears even faster( (Tried it) . After that, it's too big and is hard on dogs' feet.  So before I tramp all over hell's half acre looking for this exact size..... does anyone out there have suggestions?  (need 2 cubic meters)10126002_crushedgravel001.JPG.eedd8966b35ce079fe22ec2a30e891da.JPG

Gracias! 

I ordered from the gravel and sand place, on the right side, as you get to the top of the hill going west out of Ajijic (opposite a little plaza). They have styrofoam cups inside the little hut with various sizes of gravel available. I ordered two cubic meters because I was filling in a fountain. I would take a sample (like about a handful) of what you want and go from there. Reasonably priced and delivered. But don't ask me how much because it was three years ago.

We have dogs and "crushed" gravel is really hard on their feet. We use the large red sharp chunks in our planters only, so that they only walk gingerly in those instead of running or digging. As to the rest of the courtyard it's river gravel[smooth] so they can romp or walk without hurting. it's where they do their business and easy to pick up. before you do the gravel lay down2 layers of landscape cloth criss- crossed[sic]. this keeps your gravel from mixing with dirt and weeds from growing in the gravel. Easy to pluck them because they can't take root. We use a contractor to do it and they can show you samples for you to pick. This is our dog friendly courtyard

P1010194.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

I ordered from the gravel and sand place, on the right side, as you get to the top of the hill going west out of Ajijic (opposite a little plaza). They have styrofoam cups inside the little hut with various sizes of gravel available. I ordered two cubic meters because I was filling in a fountain. I would take a sample (like about a handful) of what you want and go from there. Reasonably priced and delivered. But don't ask me how much because it was three years ago.

Having a really hard time figuring out where you mean.  Could you give me another reference point?

More worried about the product than the price and do have some I'm carrying around in the car.  Thank you.

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

We have dogs and "crushed" gravel is really hard on their feet. We use the large red sharp chunks in our planters only, so that they only walk gingerly in those instead of running or digging. As to the rest of the courtyard it's river gravel[smooth] so they can romp or walk without hurting. it's where they do their business and easy to pick up. before you do the gravel lay down2 layers of landscape cloth criss- crossed[sic]. this keeps your gravel from mixing with dirt and weeds from growing in the gravel. Easy to pluck them because they can't take root. We use a contractor to do it and they can show you samples for you to pick. This is our dog friendly courtyard

P1010194.JPG

Our dogs have been perfectly happy with what we used the last time, and it's what we'd prefer again. And due to the planting layouts in this entire space, landscape fabric is totally not possible! But thank you for mentioning it as it might well be good for some applications. No problem with weeds here..... although they were a little tricky 5 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Natasha said:

Having a really hard time figuring out where you mean.  Could you give me another reference point?

More worried about the product than the price and do have some I'm carrying around in the car.  Thank you.

After the last set of lights, going west out of Ajijic on the highway, you will be going up a hill. At the top of that hill, on your RIGHT, is the sand and gravel place. On the LEFT, is a small commercial plaza which is where the Bagel Place used to be AND where the Canadian Ginger Beer Place is now.

Got it now!  Thanks Ferret.  Will check it out today

20 plus years ago I was happy to go anywhere west.... but with increased traffic and congestion these days, try to limit myself to no more than Farmacia Guad corner, so kind of forget the landmarks in that direction!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ferret said:

Update for you and any others who might care.  That place now only sells ONE size..... quite large and sharp-edged pieces.  Señorita told me it's all they can get.  That either means it's all they can get OR it's all they want to get!  But in any case,  alternate sizes no longer and option.

Next I went all the way to the top of the pass on the Guad highway, turning off at a very poorly marked  right turn onto a little gravel/mostly just dirt with potholes road.  Lucky I found 2 guys in a pick-up leaving not far along.... asked where they sold gravel and they told me to follow my nose but stay right (fork in road).  Much further along (gardener who gave me this info was a little "out" in his estimate of location)  and saw a huge truck coming my way.  Waited at good place to pass. Asked him.  Keep going, but go up..... and sure enough, pretty soon another fork in the road!  1.5 km into this expedition I came to "La Cuesta".  Yes..... they used to sell this kind of gravel.  No, they can't get it any more !!!  And of course I had to go all the way past Ixtlahuacan to turn around.

If the little stuff behind the Ajijic Pemex is not good enough, hubby can take over this search! 🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, vista lake said:

I get in the last month 2m3 in jocotepec, in fracc roca azul, they have diferents cain of gravel, 1inch, 1.5 inch. I used for my yard to, but we install like 4 inches high.

Gracias Vista Lake, but 1 inch is much too large for us.  And yes..... needs to be at least 3  inches deep.

8 hours ago, Natasha said:

Update for you and any others who might care.  That place now only sells ONE size..... quite large and sharp-edged pieces.  Señorita told me it's all they can get.  That either means it's all they can get OR it's all they want to get!  But in any case,  alternate sizes no longer and option.

Next I went all the way to the top of the pass on the Guad highway, turning off at a very poorly marked  right turn onto a little gravel/mostly just dirt with potholes road.  Lucky I found 2 guys in a pick-up leaving not far along.... asked where they sold gravel and they told me to follow my nose but stay right (fork in road).  Much further along (gardener who gave me this info was a little "out" in his estimate of location)  and saw a huge truck coming my way.  Waited at good place to pass. Asked him.  Keep going, but go up..... and sure enough, pretty soon another fork in the road!  1.5 km into this expedition I came to "La Cuesta".  Yes..... they used to sell this kind of gravel.  No, they can't get it any more !!!  And of course I had to go all the way past Ixtlahuacan to turn around.

If the little stuff behind the Ajijic Pemex is not good enough, hubby can take over this search! 🤣

My contractor did all that,and when they got the RIGHT gravel and laid it down I relaxed watching them with my favourite beverage and a purro. I am neither codo nor a masochist.

• Haha 1