Chapala.com Webboard

bathroom fittings

Dave W.

Amutio is next to the Farmacia de Guadalajara on the highway (opposite Donas/Donuts) and Casa de Plomero is just at the top of the hill on the highway going west out of Ajijic. It's not specifically Casa de Plomero but right beside it... same owner.

We went to the talavera shop in San Antonio and bought a bag of all those items for 250p about 10 years ago, so prices may vary. It included brackets for towel rack, 2 double hooks for towels, soap dish, toilet paper holder and glass/toothbrush holder. There was a variety of colors and designs and all were much nicer and cheaper than the metal ones we saw. They look beautiful with a matching sink and we still get pleasure from them today.

If you're doing a renovation then I also like the Talavera. Chipping out and embedding into the wall is required, then plastering in, drying it, repainting etc. etc.

So much easier and less aggravating to drill holes, put plugs in and attaching whatever with screws. Done in a fraction of the time.

If chrome isn't your style, you can use wooden brackets and dowels cut to size (like for curtains). That's what I did because I didn't want to be limited to the sizes available for packaged sets. They go up easily, can be painted or stained any colour. I put mine up using a special bit to drill through ceramic tile for the plug. They are very sturdy... and LEVEL ;)

Or, you can go industrial, and make yours out of black iron pipe and fittings... and make an over the sink light the same way with Edison bulbs.

The sky's the limit.