Chapala.com Webboard

Calling/texting the states

michael2595

There is a different way of calling a Telcel cell phone FROM the U.S. or Canada using a cell phone that is not Telcel.

011-52-1-XXX-XXX-XXXX

Angus is correct when using a Telcel cell phone to call FROM Mexico TO either a landline or a cell phone in the U.S. or Canada

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

There is a different way of calling a Telcel cell phone FROM the U.S. or Canada using a cell phone that is not Telcel.

011-52-1-XXX-XXX-XXXX

Angus is correct when using a Telcel cell phone to call FROM Mexico TO either a landline or a cell phone in the U.S. or Canada

I got telcel on chat and they said +1.  I am so confused.

38 minutes ago, michael2595 said:

I got telcel on chat and they said +1.  I am so confused.

Apprently  “+1” means that the phone number belongs to NANP. In other words, the phone number is somewhere in North America. Technically, the + is a short  abbreviation that says “dial the International Direct Dialing (IDD) code for your region.” and its a shorter version of 001 if that makes any sense. Called the 800 number for telcel and they said 001 and the live chat on the website person said +1. will try both.

2 hours ago, Ferret said:

011-52-1-XXX-XXX-XXXX

Just called Ana at telcel in ajijic and she confirmed its 001.. Thank you everyone.

That is what I understand. I read that now that we always dial 10 numbers that we drop using the 44, 45, & 1 numbers placed before the standard 10 numbers. The article might have been about in Mexico phone calls. I am not sure about making calls from the states to Mexico.

Thanks Angus. I am in Seattle right now for a few weeks and was going to look that up in my couple year old LCS phone book. That has a section somewhere telling me what to dial from phoning from the US to Mexico and visa-versa.

Oops, I just looked it up. When in Mexico and phoning the US, & Canada, you dial 001 + area Code + 10 digit number. To call other countries from Mexico, it says  00 + country code, + phone number.

It says that to phone lakeside from the US dial the International Access code of 011 plus the Mexican country code of 52 plus the 3 digit area code plus the7 digit phone number  (Yes I phone that now we dial 001 plus 52 plus the 10 digit Mexican phone number)

I presume but do not know if the above is correct now that we all have not 7 digit but 10 digit phone numbers

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Just called Ana at telcel in ajijic and she confirmed its 001.. Thank you everyone.

Michael, 001 and +1 are exactly the same thing when calling the US and Canada from Mexico. Either one should work, altho I sometimes find my call doesn't go through if I use +1 and it will for 001. Shouldn't happen that way, but for me, it sometimes does.

2 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

You're sure, but you're wrong.

I answered the OP exactly.

I have a US T-Mobile beside me and a Mexican ATT in hand. I dial 001 and the 10 digit number in the US...ring, ring, ring. Fact.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"in" the U.S. or "to" the U.S. ?

All I know is that I initiate texts and messages TO Canada or the U.S. because it's easier for me... 001+ ten digits. I told the kids and grandkids to leave just ONE message going (they could delete others in the thread) so all they had to do was type the message and hit send and I would get it.

I don't know about the U.S. but calls from Canada to either a cell phone or a landline in Mexico are ridiculously expensive. From Mexico to either the U.S. or Canada is free if you have the right plans... and I will thank Carlos Slim for that. ;)

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

I answered the OP exactly.

I have a US T-Mobile beside me and a Mexican ATT in hand. I dial 001 and the 10 digit number in the US...ring, ring, ring. Fact.

Yes, you answered the OP exactly and correctly. But that post I referred to that you wrote was in response to johanson's saying "I am not sure about making calls from the states to Mexico". Go back and look. Like I said, I figured you just misread-  maybe accidentally quoted johanson in your response, when you probably didn't intend to.

22 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I don't know about the U.S. but calls from Canada to either a cell phone or a landline in Mexico are ridiculously expensive. From Mexico to either the U.S. or Canada is free if you have the right plans... and I will thank Carlos Slim for that. ;)

This is very true. My daughters and grandkids can't call or text me from Canada- it would be prohibitively expensive for them. I am also so appreciative that mexico has this Sin Limites plan. Even though they keep cutting back the number of days you get for various amounts of pesos, it's still an almost unheard-of good deal. My Canadian friends and family can't believe I can call and text unlimited anywhere in North America for 3 weeks for the equivalent of about $10 CAN.

I love my Telmex 389 upgraded to $435 pesos per month Telmex landline plan. I can make unlimited phone calls to some 60 countries including the US and Canada for $435 pesos per month plus internet at up to 20 MBits/sec internet speed.  I know that is slow by north of the boarder standards, but it is fast for my part of Mexico

4 minutes ago, johanson said:

I love my Telmex 389 upgraded to $435 pesos per month Telmex landline plan. I can make unlimited phone calls to some 60 countries including the US and Canada for $435 pesos per month plus internet at up to 20 MBits/sec internet speed.  I know that is slow by north of the boarder standards, but it is fast for my part of Mexico

I'd love that as well. Would be great to be able to call my 87 year old stepmom who lives in England. Unfortunately, Telmex has kept declining to extend their lines out to where I live, even though a neighbor went to them years ago with a list of 25 households who would all sign upfor phone/internet plans. Now there must be 3 times that many. And still no lines.

11 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I'd love that as well. Would be great to be able to call my 87 year old stepmom who lives in England. Unfortunately, Telmex has kept declining to extend their lines out to where I live, even though a neighbor went to them years ago with a list of 25 households who would all sign upfor phone/internet plans. Now there must be 3 times that many. And still no lines.

Yeah...and 75 people coming in and bitching about the slow speed...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2019 at 10:27 PM, michael2595 said:

I have telcel cell here in Mexico,  and want to text a cellphone in the United States. Cell phone in the states is from a USA based carrier. Having difficulties. Can someone please tell me how to with all these codes. Thank you

You can text/call all free if you and the US cell phone holder both download WhatsApp. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1