Chapala.com Webboard

Replacement for Blue cat food

Maybe you should see if you can get sample packs of various kinds and see what your cats will eat. No matter what a human recommends your cat(s) will make the determination.  Pet Place on the Libramiento sometimes has a basket of small packs but check with your favorite vet and see what they have.

Reality - no healthy cat (or dog) ever starved when nutritious food was made available. They may pout for a day or two, but they will eventually eat.

Look at the label on your cat food and see what the nutritional breakdown is: percentage of protein, fat and fiber. Try to keep the food at about the same levels if that is what your cats are thriving on. Make sure the cats have plenty of water.

Put down bowls of food, leave for about 15 minutes, and remove. Repeat every 3 or 4 hours. It may take awhile but the cats will eat.

• Like 3

I've always suspected that dog and cat food manufacturers must put some addictive substance in their foods that makes a pet refuse to eat anything else:-) My dog has gone 3 days without eating, just because I changed brands. 

One thing I know, though- in hot weather, you shouldn't buy such large quantities of pet food that you can't go through it in a couple of weeks. The oils go rancid and the pet will not want to eat it, which is smart, because rancid oils are really unhealthy to ingest.

6 hours ago, Xena said:

My dogs and cats must be immune to addiction. They eat any brand, any type, anytime, canned or kibble. It makes no difference to them. I have friends whose pets are fussy eaters, so I am grateful to never have had one in 50 years of pet owning. 

You ARE lucky. Ate least none of my 3 kids were fussy eaters- that would have been way more aggravating than just trying a different brand bag of pet food 🙂

Maybe if pet owners buy whatever brands are decent and available and on sale, rather than just sticking to the same brand for years, that's the ticket to them not ending up fussy. 

I have been forced to change cat food brands due to availability on two occasions. I was told by a cat expert to slowly mix a little of the new dry food with the old slowly increasing the amount of the new each day. My cats never had a problem as long as I did it that way.

On one of those occasions I first tried to see if the cats liked the new cat food. They didn't at first but did, when I went through the slow change process explained above.