Chapala.com Webboard

Need A Mexican Will?

September is the month when notarios give discount wills. Mine says that a dual language will only cost 2,500 MXN. You only need to start it in September to get that price.

I used  Ramos Uriarte at Vicente Guerrero 106-A. He and his receptionist speak English.

Capture.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thank you , yes we are planning this month.  In case someone does not know, we were told that in Mexico if you own a home as a couple and have children as beneficieries .  If one spouse passes, their half does not automatically pass to the other spouse.  That half goes to the children.  So it has to be spelled out in the will what you wish to do.  We have our kids on our House title as beneficieries and thought that was enough. ......but its not.

Not saying you're wrong, not looking to criticize...when you say "we were told" it would be a great idea to know who that person was so that other board members can be clear. Just a suggestion.

sure i understand.....it was our realtor who is selling our house, and who works with a local Notario who told me about september being the discount month and the house not automatically passing to the other spouse without a will.  I dont know if that is true but will ask when we go do the Will.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, traderspoc said:

You do not need a will  if you only have a house, it passes by law to spouse

https://mexlaw.ca/will-inherit-property-mexico/

"Who Will Inherit Your Property in Mexico?

Posted by MexLaw

Who-Will-Inherit-Your-Property-in-Mexico

Many foreigners invest in real estate in Mexico to benefit from the high returns on investment that this market offers, to enjoy their leisure time here by owning vacation property, to retire, or a combination of all of the above. Ironically, few foreigners give any thought to what will occur to their property in the event of death. The purpose of this article is to provide some insights on how Mexican Law will deal with property owned by foreigners upon death and, hopefully, will provide foreigners with some suggestions on how to deal with this situation.

A foreigner with property in Mexico who dies will have their property distributed to their legal heirs, depending on whether they die without a Will (ab intestate), with a Mexican Will, or with a foreign Will.

If a foreigner with property in Mexico dies without a Will, the law provides that their property is divided proportionately between their legal spouse (and not common-law spouses) and their children. The process is complicated and requires the translation and certification of foreign documents such as marriage certificates, marriage contracts, birth certificates of the children and, if they are minors, the representation of those minors by an independent tutor in Mexico. The process can take more than a year to resolve and the property, in the interim, needs to be administered until they are transferred to the rightful heir. The cost can be considerable." 

You need a will I have been informed by our Notario.

Wills are important as things do not automatically pass, well without substantial cost, we work with a few notaries and prices 2500 for dual column bilingual will, wills also are for representation for that drunk driver or butcher doctor that causes premature death, someone to file criminal charges and claim insurance proceeds.  Planning is the key.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, InChapala1 said:

AngusMactavish- is Ramos Uriarte a notario? Photo you posted shows his office with sign that says Abogados, but doesn’t say notario. Does he work with a local notario?

He is a notario with his official notario office in Ocotlan. Chapala is his sub-office.