Chapala.com Webboard

What To Check Out Lakeside

Good morning again You Lovely People,

I had such a fabulous outpouring of ideas when I asked about traveling to Costco...it looks like we don't specifically need to go....SO...

We will be arriving in Ajijic Dec 7 and departing Dec 14. We have some things planned but would love any suggestions. Here is the plan:

We are looking at the possibility of retiring in a year and moving to La Ribera. We want to see why everyone finds it wonderful...

So many of you are recent arrivals, some have not even arrived yet and some have been there for years.

If folks are willing to share their ideas of what we could or should see to help us in this process...it would be wonderful!!

We have an AirBnB and we have arranged transport to and from the airport.

David and Lynn

Winston Salem, NC EEUU

336-995-8863

david@davidrodwell.com

Edited by David Rodwell
added a final sentence

Am sure you'll get many replies.....however, have you explored the amazing and rich content of this board and others like it, that already contains the info you're seeking?

Google "Chapala.com webboard" and the topic you are looking for and you'll be amazed what comes up with a direct link right to it.

Your activities will be slowed by the virgin.  Preparatiions, then the 12th and all the celebrations, then ....... recovery.

We made that mistake on our first visit, arriving in Guadalajara's virgin gridlock on the 12th. Never did get our reserved hotel room, but did eventually find another. Stayed in Guadalajara for three days, before moving on to Chapala. Stayed 13 years.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Go Solar said:

Am sure you'll get many replies.....however, have you explored the amazing and rich content of this board and others like it, that already contains the info you're seeking?

Google "Chapala.com webboard" and the topic you are looking for and you'll be amazed what comes up with a direct link right to it.

Good call Ron...the first thing I did was open every discussion that might have a few juicy morsels. Lotsa great stuff!

Great catch by RVGringo about the Guadalupana: there are a ton of activities related to her feast day (Dec 12th) which you will either want to attend or plan around.

Other ideas, in no particular order:

Eat dinner at Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosala (SJC)

Go to the Open Circle presentation at LCS on Sunday morning, eat brunch in the village, go for a stroll along the malecon.

Take the Charter Club "Around the Lake" 1 day tour.

Do happy hour at Cima de Copal above the Piedras Barrenadas (near SJC).

Order a seafood molcajete on the Chapala Malecon and watch the voladores (acrobats).

Visit the goat farm near Mezcala, then have a local guide take you out and show you Mezcala island.

Go to Guadalajara and attend Lucha Libre, see the Centro Historico, check out La Barranca de Huentitán park, shop at the Mercado San Juan de Dios.

Visit Tequila on the bus/train tour.

Do the beginner's hike with the Ajijic hiking club.

Get an online subscription to the Guadalajara Reporter (note the name! NOT the Lake Chapala Reporter) which will give you up-to-date info on activities.

Try out some of the ethnic restaurants in Ajijic (German, Italian, Thai, Japanese, Argentine, Spanish, Cuban, etc) to see what is available.

Attend a fiesta spontaneously; there will be one during those days, so just join in. Eat the vendor food, listen to the music, dance.

Spend an afternoon on the Ajijic plaza. Eat at Chile Verde, get an ice cream or cafe, sit and people watch.

Attend a tianguis, preferably the ones in Chapala or Jocotepec. Ajijic's will do, too. Check out the Tuesday market at La Huerta de Serna (west of Ajijic), where all the Gringos meet.

Coming or going to the airport, hit Los Milagros de Dalila for a burrito.

Other will have more, better ideas, but this is an off the cuff start.

• Like 3

Do not overplan and spend the week rushing from one thing to the next. Leave space for opportunity and chance. 

Think about the life you have imagined when you are retired. What interests, hobbies, activities do you wish to pursue? Look around to see how those things would be lived down here.

Spend some time considering what your day to day activities will be if you live here. 

Stay mindful. Observe and absorb as much as possible. 

• Like 4

Check doctors and hospitals.

The stores, supermarkets and  rememer you can get just about anything you want in Guadaljara , it is a several million people town so there is plenty available. Now you also can get things via the internet so really as far as goods, you can get about anything.. 

Chek where you would hang out and look at houses near that area either walking distance or driving distance... 

Go to the various villages and get a feel for them and see where you think you would like to live and shop for your every day needs.

Look at some rentals in your price range

I totally agree with Xena´s suggestions, look at the place as a place you will live in not vacation....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bmh said:

Check doctors and hospitals.

The stores, supermarkets and  rememer you can get just about anything you want in Guadaljara , it is a several million people town so there is plenty available. Now you also can get things via the internet so really as far as goods, you can get about anything.. 

Chek where you would hang out and look at houses near that area either walking distance or driving distance... 

Go to the various villages and get a feel for them and see where you think you would like to live and shop for your every day needs.

Look at some rentals in your price range

I totally agree with Xena´s suggestions, look at the place as a place you will live in not vacation....

Seriously? Why are "doctors and hospitals" high on everyone's list? 

Ask yourself, "Am I busy living or am I busy dying?" If you're living, all this concern about hospitals and doctors is secondary to the truly important facets of living in Mexico, things like learning enough spanish to cultivate friendships with nationals and not just relying on the same-ol' same-ol' group of "gringos" hanging out in the Ajijic Plaza for conversations that could be had NOB. 

Yes, we have a reliable Dra. here. Yes, we have all our paperwork in order to guarantee we'll be able to be cremated. Yes, we have made Mexican wills to carry out our final wishes. But...goddess forbid should we spend our final years worrying about medical care and hospitals. Life is more than pills and stem cells and MRIs.

Xena is one of several people I find with good suggestions on this board. "Stay mindful. Observe and absorb as much as possible." Terrific advice for the OP and for all of us, no matter how long we've lived here.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, chapalence said:

Seriously? Why are "doctors and hospitals" high on everyone's list? 

Life is more than pills and stem cells and MRIs.

They are high when told you have cancer, 30% will.

"Check doctors and hospitals"??? Not on any first time reconnaissance trip.

We had 2 surgeries this year, my husband in an emergency hospital in a lousy hospital and my surgery was planned in a nice hospital in Guadalajara.. If you have any brains doctors and hospitals are important whether you are young or old.

I helped 2 young friends in a hospitawho had kds in the hospital in chiapas, one kid was 14 and the other one 21,, and they both were in vary serious condtion, one with a skull fracture and the other wth perforated intestine by salmonella.. and believe me I quickly figured out that I would go to a luxury hospital in Tuxtla rather than having anything done anymore in San Cristobal.

I f I had check what was available in San Cristobal  would have never moved there.

Here we have plenty of charlatans, sharks and incompetent  doctors and you find out about it when you need them.. 

For those of us who can afford  a private insurrance there are nice hospitals in Guadaljara for those who cannot, they should thnk of what they can afford and where theywill go if they get very sick..I may not happen but it happens to plenty of people unfortunately.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Xena said:

Do not overplan and spend the week rushing from one thing to the next. Leave space for opportunity and chance. 

Spend some time considering what your day to day activities will be if you live here. 

Stay mindful. Observe and absorb as much as possible. 

The charm of Ajijic is being able to sit back and relax and forget everything up north.  I would not plan to do many things just take a relaxing vacation and do a few things you really like to do.   I would recommend riding the Chapala bus to the Chapala bus station in Jocotepec.  It will cost around 22 to 25 pesos a little over a dollar each.  You can sight see along the way and the station is two blocks from the plaza.  At the plaza they are known for selling some great cabrito en birria.  This is baby goat in a sauce(soup),  I had never eaten goat before but I really like this.  You can eat at a shaded outside table and observe the people.  There are not many gringo's here but the mexican's are friendly and you will have no problem.  Thursday is market(tiangus) day in Jocotepec and on Sunday many people come to the plaza to enjoy it and there is usually entertainment. There are several eating places on the plaza and I like the one on the east side with an old man, who is the owner sitting in front. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The charm of Ajijic is being able to sit back and relax and forget everything up north.  I would not plan to do many things just take a relaxing vacation and do a few things you really like to do.   I would recommend riding the Chapala bus to the Chapala bus station in Jocotepec.  It will cost around 22 to 25 pesos a little over a dollar each.  You can sight see along the way and the station is two blocks from the plaza.  At the plaza they are known for selling some great cabrito en birria.  This is baby goat in a sauce(soup),  I had never eaten goat before but I really like this.  You can eat at a shaded outside table and observe the people.  There are not many gringo's here but the mexican's are friendly and you will have no problem.  Thursday is market(tiangus) day in Jocotepec and on Sunday many people come to the plaza to enjoy it and there is usually entertainment. There are several eating places on the plaza and I like the one on the east side with an old man, who is the owner sitting in front. 

Birria is made from old goat,usually neck and head meat. Yes I  am an old goat but nobody is going to want to use me to make it. You will never see "baby" goat anywhere around here nor even young goat. Butchering takes place when they are old and no longer useful for anything else. I like kid or young goat. Tried what was available here twice at 2 different butchers,no more.

bought the leg off this goat at chapala mercado.jpg

1 hour ago, RickS said:

I never cease to be amazed to read how some folks have concluded that 'the way THEY think and do' is the ONLY way it should be done. Everyone else's protocol is just plain screwed up. 

In case you missed it, the OP said, “If folks are willing to share their ideas of what we could or should see to help us in this process...it would be wonderful!!” 

12 hours ago, Xena said:

In case you missed it, the OP said, “If folks are willing to share their ideas of what we could or should see to help us in this process...it would be wonderful!!” 

No Xena I didn't miss that.... but what I DID do is Post my comment on the WRONG THREAD.  Thanks for calling that to my attention... and I will delete it from here.

RickS 

• Thanks 1