Chapala.com Webboard

Transport from Ajijic to Costco

Hello You Lovely People

the week of Dec 7-14, I’d like to go from Ajijic to Costco and back to Ajijic.

The LCS bus goes the 19th long after I will have gone NOB.

I am guessing it’s a question of cost vs of convenience???

Any thoughts of some good ways to make this voyage of discovery??

David Rodwell 

Winston-Salem, NC EEUU

• Haha 2

This to determine if we’ll want to bring our stuff from NOB or simply replace everything when we arrive!

I would maintain the beauty of CopperCanyon? Chiapas? Oaxaca? Puerto Vallarta? Will all be there!

This is going to be a working trip hopefully with some serious research (bass fishing)!

There is more than one Costco in Guadalajara. However, you can always let your fingers do the walking... and there is a service here that lets you order and delivers items to your home. Or, you can find Costco items in stores here (at a mark up of course) like SuperLake, Pancho's and El Torito's.

https://www.costco.com.mx/

This to determine if we’ll want to bring our stuff from NOB or simply replace everything when we arrive!

I would maintain the beauty of CopperCanyon? Chiapas? Oaxaca? Puerto Vallarta? Will all be there!

This is going to be a working trip hopefully with some serious research (bass fishing)!

2 minutes ago, David Rodwell said:

So it sounds like your Costco is like our Costco here???

Really? Is it completely American?

Well in some way disturbing

The tax is included in the price you see on the shelf.

Do they have Soriana where you live? Is it completely Mexican?

19 minutes ago, David Rodwell said:

This to determine if we’ll want to bring our stuff from NOB

A Costco trip isn't going to tell you that.....unless you're deciding about bringing d/w detergent and TP.....

you should plan to hit all the furniture stores, this board has many great posts on the high end stores in Guad, the factory stores in Ocotlan, copper, leather,and rustico and fine  MX woods in many places within a 30 min to 2 hour drive (or taxi ride)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

The "from Italy" part is redundant....does it come with its own wheelbarrow?    Or do you just roll it out to the lot?    😉

Well they wanted you to know it's from Italy so they advertised it that way. Not to worry about how to get it home...offer just expired. For the OP: middle and upper class Mexicans love Costco to be able to get many of the goods you see in Costco US and that are not available anywhere else in Mexico. They definitely do not compete with the Tiangus vendors in Ajijic. Best paper products you will find in Mexico, TP, paper towels, napkins and similar items. You'll see when you start using some of the local products...

You folks are tops...It appears that the Costco is pretty much the same. Since I went online thanks to Ferret, I can even see the prices. So I think it's Ix nay on the trip to Costco. One of you lovely people even offered to drive my lovely wife and me to Costco...you are all a special bunch of folks...maybe the best reason to make the move.

You even have a Go Solar that especially warms the cockles of my heart...I am warned if they get to hot to rub them with dry ice but that's another story.

So since it is a bit daunting to try to figure what to see in our very limited first visit, I think I will simply post a request to that end.

12 hours ago, David Rodwell said:

You can look  online  at the catalogues of Costco and various  furniture stores. It might save a trip.

Yes, some good buys on alcohol at Costco in Mexico 

I have lived in Asia and the USA and Mexico. The Costcos of each country reflect the tatstes and preferences of their citizens. There were waaaay more fishy things in the Japanese CostCo than in the US one, but at the heart - Costco is Costco. The hot dogs and pizza taste the same worldwide. 

Depends on what you are looking to leave/bring. Most electronics like TVs, printers are better to buy here. Computers are available, but usually have Spanish keyboards. Invest in quality surge protectors - those are a must.

High end appliances are easily available and delivery is easy.

We brought our art and rugs, higher end pots and pans, all clothes. Lamps are $$$ here. Shades are very $$$ if you want nicer ones.Ceiling fans are easy to find, a are heaters andAC should you decide you need them. We don't.

Comfy US and Canadian furniture can be purchased easily, but will be a bit $$$ier than the US. Not many "bargains" here, no outlets and rare sales.

Bookcases, buffets and end tables can be made to order, and be as rustic or high end as you wish.

Bed frames are easy to have made. We had our King frames (2 twin bottoms) made extra tall so we could use the under bed area for storage.Mattresses are easy to find.

Drapes, I found I needed to go back and make a trip to BB&B, but now we have one in GDL. You can also have them custom made.

Clothes, shoes, ladies bras are very $$$$$ and hard to find sizes - well, you are out of luck.

Office Depot and Office Max are in GDL for those kinds of needs.

There is a kitchen "neighborhood" in GDL with everything you could possibly want to use in your kitchen. Thanks Tom Gates for introducing us to that area. 

I go shopping for things in GDL, and take the bus and cabs. I would be happy to help you do that if you wish.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cstone said:

I have lived in Asia and the USA and Mexico. The Costcos of each country reflect the tatstes and preferences of their citizens. There were waaaay more fishy things in the Japanese CostCo than in the US one, but at the heart - Costco is Costco. The hot dogs and pizza taste the same worldwide. 

Depends on what you are looking to leave/bring. Most electronics like TVs, printers are better to buy here. Computers are available, but usually have Spanish keyboards. Invest in quality surge protectors - those are a must.

High end appliances are easily available and delivery is easy.

We brought our art and rugs, higher end pots and pans, all clothes. Lamps are $$$ here. Shades are very $$$ if you want nicer ones.Ceiling fans are easy to find, a are heaters andAC should you decide you need them. We don't.

Comfy US and Canadian furniture can be purchased easily, but will be a bit $$$ier than the US. Not many "bargains" here, no outlets and rare sales.

Bookcases, buffets and end tables can be made to order, and be as rustic or high end as you wish.

Bed frames are easy to have made. We had our King frames (2 twin bottoms) made extra tall so we could use the under bed area for storage.Mattresses are easy to find.

Drapes, I found I needed to go back and make a trip to BB&B, but now we have one in GDL. You can also have them custom made.

Clothes, shoes, ladies bras are very $$$$$ and hard to find sizes - well, you are out of luck.

Office Depot and Office Max are in GDL for those kinds of needs.

There is a kitchen "neighborhood" in GDL with everything you could possibly want to use in your kitchen. Thanks Tom Gates for introducing us to that area. 

I go shopping for things in GDL, and take the bus and cabs. I would be happy to help you do that if you wish.

Hope this helps.

Super helpful cstone...

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

David,

Apparently you aren't serious about going to Costco.

Did you read the post where he says: “You folks are tops...It appears that the Costco is pretty much the same. Since I went online thanks to Ferret, I can even see the prices. So I think it's Ix nay on the trip to Costco. One of you lovely people even offered to drive my lovely wife and me to Costco...you are all a special bunch of folks...maybe the best reason to make the move.”

• Like 2