Chapala.com Webboard

Questions on Apostille forms

We are getting the forms we need apostillized for our residency visas and I am wondering if I should get anything else for anything in the future? We are getting our birth certificates and our marriage license done but is there anything we should think about for the future there? 

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Why are you getting apostilles....does your local consulate require them?  Ours didn't and I get the sense from other posts here that most do not require them.  

I thought they were necessary for the visa application? If not that saves me a bunch of time and cash. We would not need them Lakeside for the remainder of the visa process? If not you have made my day Bisbee Gal💖

1 hour ago, daisy2013 said:

To become a citizen you need an apostile for your birth certificates.  I forget the time period but it must be current in other word not too old.  I know your birth certificate in most cases does not change but that is what they wanted for citizenship.  Apostile for USA and authenticated for Canada.

But they didn't say they wanted to become citizens of Mexico.  They said they wanted to get their RP (I assume that means Residente Permanente).

When we went from FM3 to FM2 in 2012 we were told we might need an apostille marriage certificate.  I mailed the forms/check to the state of Pennsylvania and they mailed the document to our Laredo mail drop; took less than 2 weeks altogether.  And in the end, we did not need it.  

@Susy Wilson    No need to rush to get one for your potential citizenship now if you have yet to get your RP.  Isn't it a 4 year wait in most instances  between an RP and citizenship (outside of marriage to a MXN national)?  

If you are using the "vinculo familiar" law to apply as a spouse that is not applying through their own financial solvency minimum monthly bank deposits but as a dependant of the spouse who is you might need a marriage license apostiled for some of the Mexican Consulates in the US. Otherwise no need to have it apostiled.