Chapala.com Webboard

Nom de Plume

Hello You Lovely People,

It was pointed out by one of you that no one here uses their real names. I am willing to give mine up...just wondering what dangers could befall me. I have had this name for 70 years and have grown somewhat attached.

Why the handles and not real names?

Joseph Snake

Alagoinhas, Brasil

I have been lakeside since 1997 when I got dialup. I was warned not to use my real name, but I have always used it and have had, so far, no problems. Using my  real name keeps me from posting evil posts, verbally attacking anyone. And it works for me. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Back in the day, it was cool to have an avatar and a different handle. Nowadays, it is a way to hide. Two reasons: you like to attack, or you don't like to be attacked. Mine here reflects that I offer computer support... but pretty much everyone knows I am Mike Riley.

Handles, not real names, has been the custom on most Boards, forums, etc for many years. For privacy and security reasons. That is changing now especially with places like Facebook where people use there real name and give many of their private details.

• Like 1

I think anonymity is the cornerstone in some programs...

But it seems this very anonymity brings out the reptile brain in some! Just read some of the coarsest, crudest and uncalled for remarks left on a youtube post aimed at the most innocent people!

Perhaps our behavior degrades when we are sure no one is watching!

David Rodwell

Winston Salem, NC EEUU

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Back in the day, it was cool to have an avatar and a different handle. Nowadays, it is a way to hide. Two reasons: you like to attack, or you don't like to be attacked. Mine here reflects that I offer computer support... but pretty much everyone knows I am Mike Riley.

The United States Supreme Court seems to disagree with Zuckerberg, ruling in McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission that the First Amendment protects our right to be anonymous:

Protections for anonymous speech are vital to democratic discourse. Allowing dissenters to shield their identities frees them to express critical, minority views . . . Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . . It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation . . . at the hand of an intolerant society.

https://www.abine.com/blog/2011/internet-anonymity-or-not/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Anonymity is often the cloak of the coward......

... And in the age of identity theft and rampant privacy violations, announcing one's driver's license identity often shines an invasive spotlight on the unwise uncloaked poster. (Not you, Ian, of course.) 😉

Obviously, Duckie Hoomever is not the name on my driver's license, but it is the name by which all my friends in Mexico know me - some probably wouldn't recognize my driver's license name. I even have a THIRD identity for my blogging self! (Nope, not gonna spill here.)

13 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Anonymity is often the cloak of the coward......

Or the aim of a bot. Most do not understand that ALL names, phone numbers, and email addresses are gleaned daily by bots. What they do with the information is usually not beneficial. It is collated with all the other social posts one made. Put me down as a coward to avoid their actions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Ian Greenwood said:

l ‘m sure you could ferret it out or perhaps use google if needed.... although if l did choose a nom de plume it certainly wouldn’t be .... “ polecat “

And now you've figured out where MY nom de plume comes from. Been using it since '97 when friends started calling me that because I ferret out information.