Chapala.com Webboard

water smelling solutions Pleasel

glws7777

I am in Nuevo Chapala and have real problem in water from our supply in the morning when I put the sprinkler on the smell is terrible. Now I also have a problem at night after washing our dishes and let the water go in fills the house up with rotten stinky smell. I have a tenaco above the house (filters and I put chlorine tabs in always). and I never get the smell in any of the washrooms.e.g. filling showing or draining. Seems weird to me but could it be the length of time I leave the kitchen dormant. The water in the morning is straight from the supply it does not go into the tenaco.

For future use, it's tinaco.

3 minutes ago, glws7777 said:

after washing our dishes and let the water go in

What does that mean? Do you mean that when you drain the water it smells?

Are you on septic or city waste? It doesn't seem that the water for your sprinkler comes from your tinaco, so it is odd that those two smell, but not the washrooms. I would be concerned that if you have a fosa it needs to be drained. Our neighbor has been letting their tinaco spill over and when it hits the ground near where I suspect the fosa drains into it smells very bad. Could be the same with your sprinkler.

When you're on the roof putting chlorine tabs in your tinaco have you checked to see how the bottom looks? I've seen photos of tinacos that looked like used motor oil in the bottom because they've never been drained and scrubbed out. Chlorine alone won't correct past neglect. It's a cheap place to start. Most guys charge $500-600 to do the dirty job.

Sorry if I was not specific. We are on septic water. We have cleaned the tenaco. So my problem is why its only water in the kitchen that has the smell. same source as the washrooms and never a problem. Now when We drain the water in the kitchen sinks after washing dishes the smell is bad. Not every time but 3/4 times a week. The kitchen is the furthest point in the house from the Tenaca

I don't understand why you would be getting that smell out of your kitchen sink, since you use chlorotabs, but as far as the sprinkler- if you have the sprinkler attached to a hose, I get excatly the sme thing. The hose sitting out in the hot sun with water in it is what I think causes that. The smell stops after a few minutes. 

The kitchen tap smelling but not the bathrooms could be a matter both of it sitting dormant longer, and also that there may be more water sitting in the pipes (longer run) than in the pipes to your bathrooms. In this hot weather I find that smell can be prevalent, but once the climate cools down, not much, if any, smell.

1 minute ago, glws7777 said:

We are on septic water.

Perhaps you need to put bleach (not lots) or baking soda down the kitchen drain. It is possible that there is something caught in the P-trap (if there is one) and it needs to be cleaned.
However if you are using septic water to feed your sprinkler then you are likely to get a smell.

Chloro will not stop this smell.. been proven that is true but Mudgirl you have the same thoughts as me about dormant water in pipes being culprit but what is the solution. and yes I do have a dishwasher attach but never used. The water for sprinklers comes from Our wells and from holding tank

Just now, glws7777 said:

Chloro will not stop this smell.. been proven that is true but Mudgirl you have the same thoughts as me about dormant water in pipes being culprit but what is the solution. and yes I do have a dishwasher attach but never used.

Does the d/w smell when you open it?  

2 minutes ago, glws7777 said:

no i am pretty stupid eh

No...you're not stupid. Many folks incorrectly think any and every problem can be solved by just asking on this board. Many of the questions are either legal or unique to the asker. Certainly asking in general can help, like adding cloro, etc. but after trying the easy fixes with no luck it may be time to call someone who probably sees your problem quite often. Good luck and welcome!

You know, Pappy, while many people prefer to call in a professional for almost everything, some of us actually are pretty good at DIY and troubleshooting, and may not actually mind trying to solve an issue ourselves. There's nothing wrong with asking for input and possible solutions and similar experiences on a public forum. As you say, it's not the same asking about a plumbing issue as asking for leagal or medical advice. 

For me, calling in an "expert", even a highly recommended one, has often resulted in them not being able to come up with any better solution than I came up with, sometimes a great deal of unneccesary muss and fuss, not to mention waiting around for the tradesperson to show up. I've gotten pretty adept at replacing my toilet guts when they wear out, gluing grey water pipes together, and many other maintainance and repair chores. I even enjoy the feeling of being able to do such things myself. Having to call in a professional is my last resort, not my first go-to choice.

Three years ago I hired professional painters to clean, scrape and repaint my metal staircase. The paint started flaking off the treads within 4 months. So I repainted it myself. I took care in every step, from cleaning, to wire brushing, to scraping, to sanding, to applying the primer (not thinned down like the painters like to do here)  and applying 2 coats of paint. It has been 2 years since I did it and it still looks great, no peeling paint anywhere. That was one job I decidedly did NOT enjoy- it was really hard work. But I did a much more professional job than the professionals I paid. (and it was the 3rd time I had hired professional painters to do the job over the years)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tip 'O my cap to you! Perhaps you may be in the so called "Top 5 %" of DIYers. Pity you don't live closer to the OP to give actual in person advice. Perhaps you could think a little harder and suggest something else that the OP could try. Hope your arms are long enough for that self administered pat on the back. Tough to fly like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys...eh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I think you have 2 problems! 1 is in the sink, thats a sewer sistem, if you have in the sink that bad smell is because you need to clean that line, maybe you have something food or other think, and when they install the plumbing in tha sink they no install a Trampa, trap, the Trampa stop the smell of the sewer line sistem. And about the sprinkler sometimes is the hose you need to wait a couple minutes to the smell go! You have algibe? If you have, maybe you have some filtration of the septictank to youre algibe.

1 hour ago, pappysmarket said:

Tip 'O my cap to you! Perhaps you may be in the so called "Top 5 %" of DIYers. Pity you don't live closer to the OP to give actual in person advice. Perhaps you could think a little harder and suggest something else that the OP could try. Hope your arms are long enough for that self administered pat on the back. Tough to fly like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys...eh?

Oh, I certainly don't have the solution or the skills for everything- plenty of things leave me stumped or needing to call someone. I was just saying that some of us actually don't mind trying to tackle things ourselves.

And back to that staircase- all the professional painters I had hired over the years told me that I couldn't expect a paint job on an outside metal staircase to last more than a year or so-that it would need to be repainted every year to stay looking good and not rust. And that's quite true if you fail to do the necessary prep thoroughly, thin out the primer and paint, etc, like they do. (Think they call that job security) But it certainly hasn't proven true for the work I did. Of course, a homeowner is always going to be more likely to spend the time required to make sure a job lasts as long as possible. I certainly don't look forward to ever having to do that work again, but I'm sure I will at some point.

I think mudgirl and I are sisters from a previous life... and Mike Holmes is a long lost brother. Make it Right.

Question for the OP (because Vista Lake made a good point)... What does your drain setup under the kitchen sink look like? Is it just a piece of corrugated (ridged) flexible pipe? Or is it pvc pipe that has a U shape to it with the U falling below the entrance to the drain in the wall?

• Like 2

Ferret- I credit my penchant for fixing things to my dad, who was a mechanical engineer and I seem to have inherited that brain. He could seemingly fix anything. When his favorite armchair was getting ratty, he even checked out books on upholstery from the library and reupholstered it himself.

My maternal grandma also always seemed to be up on ladders doing maintenance and repairs. I never saw my grandpa tackle anything- I don't think he had any skills in that regard.

2 hours ago, vista lake said:

I think you have 2 problems! 1 is in the sink, thats a sewer sistem, if you have in the sink that bad smell is because you need to clean that line, maybe you have something food or other think, and when they install the plumbing in tha sink they no install a Trampa, trap, the Trampa stop the smell of the sewer line sistem. And about the sprinkler sometimes is the hose you need to wait a couple minutes to the smell go! You have algibe? If you have, maybe you have some filtration of the septictank to youre algibe.

The house we bought was built in such a way that the aljibe and septic "dump" were just feet apart. Tree roots had broken into the aljibe and I could imagine what was seeping into our water source. 😕 We had the old "dump" (under a later added terraza) drained, lime added, and concreted closed, then a a new Biodigester and 3- gray water tanks built as far away from the aljibe as was possible on a small lot. The old, diseased trees were removed along with an amazing amount of roots and algae from the aljibe which was rebuilt, scrubbed clean and kept clean since.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, glws7777 said:

Sorry if I was not specific. We are on septic water. We have cleaned the tenaco. So my problem is why its only water in the kitchen that has the smell. same source as the washrooms and never a problem. Now when We drain the water in the kitchen sinks after washing dishes the smell is bad. Not every time but 3/4 times a week. The kitchen is the furthest point in the house from the Tenaca

Just so you know in future, it is "Tinaco".

• Sad 1

My 2 cents, You have a water trap some place in the  system that is dried out and allowing sewer gasses to feed  back into the system 

Many of the pipes are installed without  a water trap and only rely on a pipe being  sealed with silicon. Example  my laundry overflow flexible pipe goes into a pipe with no trap !!!