Chapala.com Webboard

New modems

We get our TV via the internet and lately things have been buffering like the whole system was about to crash. The same thing was happening when using our computers and it was getting really bad. We tried all of the usual -- range extenders, professional opinion -- and nothing worked. Right about this time, there was a posting about TELMEX modems and all of the problems the OP and others were having in getting reliable service and/or help at the Ajijic office. Long story short,  one poster mentioned getting a replacement modem via Mercado Libre. I went online, checked out what matched our service and type of cable (?) and ordered the best one I could find. The cost, INCLUDING shipping, was $340 pesos. We figured that the worst that could happen was that we wasted approx. $17usd on it -- worth it if it saved us from having to go to the Ajijic office, only to get blown off. So, after installing it, tweaking it for the routers, a few rounds of cursing (me), and other tech stuff (hubby), we were off...and it WORKED!!!. lol, in reality, it was pretty simple and worth it. Now, our service is consistent...imagine that!

If it were within my power, I would sue the Federal government to force the near-monopoly TelMex corporation to pay us all for breach of contract. They won't sell you the modem: you must rent it. Therefore, it has always been their responsibility to replace a malfunctioning modem in a timely fashion. Like they used to, right at their office, for years. Now, they simply refuse. And from what I hear, it's pretty much only lakeside's office that has this attitude. What BS.

• Like 1

Switch to Ilox if it is in your neighbourhood.  We did and are extremely happy with it.  Have speeds between 45 and 90 Mbps.  Sure service drops once in a while, but not that often.  We are very happy and pay the same price  599 pesos as we  did with Telmex, except have better  service.

After signing up with Ilox when the Ajijic office first opened about six months ago and and many broken promises (2 months, 2 more months, then three weeks ago "one week") there is now a rainbow in the sky! I am in SAT on Jesus Garcia in front of the lake and they had strung cable down my street many weeks ago. Yesterday I saw a Ilox crew (clearly marked uniforms and truck) near the corner on my street and La Paz (the next up cross street) and stopped to talk to them. It looked like they were installing some kind of junction box and I explained my situation and asked for a hook-up time estimate to my house a block away. One said "uno semana" but another chimed in "Posiblemente dos semanas".

I got rid of my expensive Dish Satellite account months ago and signed up for the My Wi-Fi streaming service in anticipation of Ilox...now very spotty with buffering and freezing with Telmex and have been assured that all will be good when that magic day comes when I can say "Hasta la vista" to Telmex and have the huge choice of channels and viewing options as steady as a rock. Hope springs eternal!

• Like 1

ILOX isn't an option for us right now (area), plus there appear to still be glitches with them. While I think they're going to be better, it's not a rush for now. I like that we now have our own modem and can just replace it if/when it craps out. It sure beats dealing with the Ajijic office. For GringoHombre, that's exactly what we did...we got rid of DISH and have the Firestick (installed by Derek who's advertised in GR) with all of the choices it brings. Now that our internet is working as it should, I'm one very happy camper.

• Like 1

Good to hear it tingting  pleased you are enjoying my free iptv service. Im also on facebook and any one interested can pm me here.(one off fee of 1800 pesos.no monthly fees)

My telmex was increased to 20 mbps a couple of months ago , but suddenly about 10 days i started getting between 1 and 3mbps from about 6pm every evening. Useless,  i reported it and told me they knew of the problem and would be sorted in 3 to 5 days. It hasnt, so i cant even get my own service !

Tingting, which modem did you buy ? 

Im in sat and my neighbour was connected to ilox this week, we live in a condo and was surprised they did this, goes against what they have said before.However i will be visiting them soon even though i have some doubts, but getting really hacked off with telmex over this.

44 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Good to hear it tingting  pleased you are enjoying my free iptv service. Im also on facebook and any one interested can pm me here.(one off fee of 1800 pesos.no monthly fees)

My telmex was increased to 20 mbps a couple of months ago , but suddenly about 10 days i started getting between 1 and 3mbps from about 6pm every evening. Useless,  i reported it and told me they knew of the problem and would be sorted in 3 to 5 days. It hasnt, so i cant even get my own service !

Tingting, which modem did you buy ? 

Im in sat and my neighbour was connected to ilox this week, we live in a condo and was surprised they did this, goes against what they have said before.However i will be visiting them soon even though i have some doubts, but getting really hacked off with telmex over this.

What download speed is your neighbor in SAT getting with Ilox? My Telmex speed also went up dramatically a few months ago from 4 - 5 to over 30 in come cases. Now has gone way down to about 8 -9 in the day and below 5 at night, so this is not working for TV streaming. I think Telmex was trying to get in front of the Ilox situation but not fooling me at all plus the fiber optic cable should be much superior to the copper telephone line.

"Dish has recently been suing a growing number of IPTV providers and so-called “Kodi Box” sellers. These services promise live TV from places like ESPN and HBO for very low prices or a one-time price of buying an android powered streaming player often called a “Kodi Box.” Now Dish has sued the IPTV services One Box TV, IPGuys, and Miracle Box as apart of its effort to crack down on IPTV. These lawsuits join a growing number of lawsuits targeting IPTV services by Dish and others including Set TV, Vader, and more."

1 minute ago, AngusMactavish said:

IPGuys are out of Vietnam, good luck with that.

For sure. They have had some luck shutting some down. IPTV is just a way of saying streaming TV. Internet protocol tv, it's not a single company. Netflix is IPTV as are all the others. The pirate ones record their feeds which of course are copyrighted, and then resell them either as a one off fee or a monthly fee. I could care less about the piracy but I don't like to see people pay good money for a "box" or whatever that only works for a short time before they whack that mole. If you don't mind constantly staying ahead of them probably OK. Personally, I would just invest in a current Shaw system and ride it until the signal no longer reaches Mexico. By then, I'll bet the streamers will be legally selling all over the world, no VPN necessary. But that's just my own opinion and we all have one of them and one of you know what.

21 hours ago, Tingting said:

We get our TV via the internet and lately things have been buffering like the whole system was about to crash. The same thing was happening when using our computers and it was getting really bad. We tried all of the usual -- range extenders, professional opinion -- and nothing worked. Right about this time, there was a posting about TELMEX modems and all of the problems the OP and others were having in getting reliable service and/or help at the Ajijic office. Long story short,  one poster mentioned getting a replacement modem via Mercado Libre. I went online, checked out what matched our service and type of cable (?) and ordered the best one I could find. The cost, INCLUDING shipping, was $340 pesos. We figured that the worst that could happen was that we wasted approx. $17usd on it -- worth it if it saved us from having to go to the Ajijic office, only to get blown off. So, after installing it, tweaking it for the routers, a few rounds of cursing (me), and other tech stuff (hubby), we were off...and it WORKED!!!. lol, in reality, it was pretty simple and worth it. Now, our service is consistent...imagine  would also be interested in the modem you bought.  Did it solve your buffering problems and give you a consistent download 24/7?  And were you have trouble streaming during the day or only at night?  

I would also be interested in the type of modem you purchased.  A question: were you buffering constantly or only at night?  Also, does your new modem give you consistent speed 24/7? 

To make a long story short (and it is a long story), a few weeks ago we started getting better download speeds but at about 6:30-7pm every evening, the download would fall off a cliff to about 1 - 3 mg (from 13 - 19) making it pretty impossible to stream or do any kind of computer work.  Several visits to the Telmex office and calls to tech support have been fruitless.  I was told last Thursday that we are "on a new server for the area and the problem is with that.  Give it about 2 weeks." 

I'm curious now if the current modems have issues with the new server and if a new modem could solve this problem. 

Gracias. 

40 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Donenrique, exactly the same problem as me and my neighbours. Im in san Antonio and considering changing to ilox but do have doubts,  but if this isnt fixed soon telmex will loose another customer. Another call to them today and a visit to the office this week is on the cards.

I may see you at the Telmex office tomorrow afternoon, barcelonaman!  My last call to tech was Friday night and I'm back to the office tomorrow to relay to them what tech is telling me now. This all began the last week of July. 

Unfortunately I am in Riviera Alta and ilox is not available to us as it would mean digging up the streets to bury the cable.  So, Telmex is my only option.  

Perhaps enough complaints will speed up the "fix" of the new server.  Quien sabe.  Let me know what they tell you.  

Just called them. 45 mins. Same bs as last week, but last week they said they knew about the problem, today no.

Insisted was only me...told them no, my neighbours as well and a lot of san Antonio and parts of la floresta. Told them if they didnt get it sorted as promised they will be losing more customers. Water off a ducks back.

But yes im going to telmex office asap. Ridiculous when i cant even watch my own tv system.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

Just called them. 45 mins. Same bs as last week, but last week they said they knew about the problem, today no.

Insisted was only me...told them no, my neighbours as well and a lot of san Antonio and parts of la floresta. Told them if they didnt get it sorted as promised they will be losing more customers. Water off a ducks back.

But yes im going to telmex office asap. Ridiculous when i cant even watch my own tv system.  

Lots of luck! I am curious when you say "Im in san Antonio and considering changing to ilox but do have doubts" . What could be worse? If for some odd reason Ilox does not work out for you you can always go back to Telmex. Their plans are for the same price and also you can switch you existing land line # to them. 

I have a lot of experience with ilox, for many of my customers its fine, for others not so.

Plus we dont know whats going to happen if theres service problems,  do they have the back up?

For some apps i need to get them to change ip adress, suddenly they havent been communicating.

Also i dont want their cables seen in my house, and i dont think they will use existing conduits in my coto.

Thats why i have doubts, but if i can overcome these i will give them ago. 

Wow, this has really taken off since I first checked in. To answer some questions:  1) the modem I bought was a Huawei, same as TELMEX. Here's a link for anyone interested:  https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-632599189-modem-router-telmex-dos-bandas-hg659-nuevo-envio-gratis-_JM  (Obviously, just type in "modems" on ML if this doesn't match what you need--there seem to be a LOT for sale.)The only thing I wasn't sure about was the line type. This one is copper. I bought it because every time TM goes down, it's usually because someone has stolen some of the copper cable...so...I just figured that our line was copper. I'm sure someone a lot more technical than this technodino will be quivering in his/her boots at my ignorance, but it worked. 2) We have routers because our house is a bit large and hubby has "his" tv downstairs and I have "mine" upstairs (we like to watch entirely different programs). The signal has a bit of distance to travel, with dead zones, so the routers help, but they can be a bit of a pig when you're trying to get everything working (hence, the tweaking we had to do when the modem arrived.) The speedtest is usually around 13-15mbs download with 2+ upload. 3) The buffering was happening all of the day with it sometimes improving a bit at night. Many of the channels wouldn't come in. Now, we pretty much get everything out there. 

I hope that helps. Please feel free to ask if I missed something. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry, Donenrique, I just saw your questions. I don't know if the new server was part of the reason for the issues or not, but everything has been great, so far, with the new modem. I don't know if it makes a difference, but when the new hotel went up on the carretera, our speeds drastically improved. When there's a problem, they usually get to it relatively quickly because the hotel is a major customer. Our problems seemed to appear overnight and then continued. That was our first clue that the modem could be the culprit. No matter what we tried, the buffering was horrible. It was about that time that I remembered the previous posting that others had made about modems and I went back to it. Like I said, I figured the $340mxn was worth it to save me a fruitless trip to TM's Ajijic office. We figured that things were so bad, what's $17usd? At worst, it was money down the crapper and at best, it would resolve the problem.

• Thanks 1