Chapala.com Webboard

Unsweetened Apple Sauce?

Alpha1

17 minutes ago, Willie said:

I make. mine...ezpz...way cheaper and I know what is in it!!!

Peel apples..put in ceramic  bowl...cover with plate....15 min later after stirring a couple of times..I use my immersible mixer and I have perfect apple sauce! 

Even better with a bit cinnamon powder and lemon.

• Like 3

Imported apples are expensive here too. I pass this on, not because I am being smug, but I truly believe planting trees, especially those that bees can feed on, is very beneficial to everything. There is a variety of apple called "Anna" which should do well here, but it also needs a pollinator, such as crabapple, which will also pollinate the two tropical peach trees I am growing.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

Imported apples are expensive here too. 

There are plenty of non-imported apples, grown near Puebla, that are available in season. They are sold in the shops around the Chapala Mercado or for the more adventuresome, at the Abastos and San Juan de Dios Mercados in Guadalajara. 

Applesauce can be frozen in ziploc bags for many months, so make a bunch if you like like it 

• Like 2

I'm always on the lookout for Chihuahua apples.  They are sooo good and taste like apples in the US tasted 50 years ago.  When I was in Chihuahua a couple of years ago I talked to an apple farmer about the lack of apples available that year.  He said they had a late hail storm that blasted the blossoms off the trees and their production was way down.  One of the reasons they have nets over their trees, to protect from hail and birds.

21 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Imported apples are expensive here too. I pass this on, not because I am being smug, but I truly believe planting trees, especially those that bees can feed on, is very beneficial to everything. There is a variety of apple called "Anna" which should do well here, but it also needs a pollinator, such as crabapple, which will also pollinate the two tropical peach trees I am growing.

Chillin, Mexico grows its own apples, as Yo1 said and others said, many in Chihuahua.  For applesauce, it doesn't matter one bit if they're as 'pretty' as USA-grown apples.  Peel them, core them, slice them.  Then I like mine slightly cooked in a bit of butter, with cinnamon, a spritz of jugo de limón, a little sugar to your taste, a pinch of salt to heighten all the flavors.  Then I coarsely mash the mixture with my potato masher. 

A couple of days ago I made a chunky  "applesauce" using ripe pears cooked with some Sultana raisins, and instead of white sugar, a little brown sugar along with the other ingredients.  I served it warm, as dessert, with a blob of super-thick crema de mesa (Aguascalientes brand--non-acidulated cream), very similar in texture and flavor to crème fraiche.  Deee-licious, if I do say so myself, and a quick snap to make.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NLU said:

I'm curious how one makes unsweetend apple sauce with ' a little sugar.'

Sorry, I failed to remember that the OP asked about that.  Just leave it out or as bmh said, use Stevia or Splenda.  Or caramelize the apples, I'll try that next time I make apple or pear sauce.