Chapala.com Webboard

How best to get US phone number answering in Ajijic

I use a callcentric.com Voip line with a Grandstream HT801 adapter you can buy on MercadoLibre in Mexico for $50.    When someone calls my US number, it rings the GDL and Ajijic house and my MX cell simultaneously.   About $3 a month. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 9:57 PM, tkessler said:

I use a callcentric.com Voip line with a Grandstream HT801 adapter you can buy on MercadoLibre in Mexico for $50.    When someone calls my US number, it rings the GDL and Ajijic house and my MX cell simultaneously.   About $3 a month. 

Not too sure where you get the "$3/mo" unless that is your average for inbound and you have no outbound.

CallCentric is different than 'most' VoIP services in that their inbound and outbound services are independent of each other.... you can get either or both.

Inbound has 2 plans... pay/minute ($1.95/mo. + 1.5c/minute) or unlimited at $5.95/mo.

Outbound has 4 plans: pay/call @.02/minute, 120 minutes for $1.95, 500 minutes for $6.95 and 1000 minutes for $12.95. The latter three also cover the E911 cost of $1.50.

google voice is basically free with obitalk 

https://www.amazon.com/OBi200-Adapter-Support-Service-Renewed/dp/B07SF8LYG6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=obitalk&qid=1567260017&s=gateway&sr=8-4

a side benfit of obitalk is that it sends you an e-mail every time the internet connection is lost even if it is only lost for a few seconds

that's the major reason i always knew when i lost my connection to my internet provider

when one starts getting 10+ e-mails every hour that you have lost your internet connection one begins to suspect that their internet provider might not be telling them everything when they say 'everything is fine.'

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

Darn I'm missing out on all these other things just because all I want is to make and receive PHONE calls which I  have happily enjoyed for many years with Vonage. I guess being able to do this with 60 countries for my monthly charge is meaningless in the overall scheme of things..

How much is Vonage these days?

Hopefully, this isn't too far off topic because we're having a similar problem. We recently bought Mexican SIM cards (Telcel) for our cellphones and are in the midst of switching over from our US provider (Verizon). Part of this includes changing our numbers for confirming/recovering email accounts, credit cards, banking stuff, etc. By that, I mean when an internet site doesn't recognize your computer (or whatever) and sends a text message to your cell phone with a password for you to use.

Okay, here's the problem: none of our friends and family type in the same numbers to text us. Some have to start with +52, some with 0052, and some just start with the actual number. So, can anyone confirm what they've used for this purpose? We're reluctant to ditch Verizon until we know how that works. Thanks.