Chapala.com Webboard

How best to get US phone number answering in Ajijic

The above are all well working alternatives. However some cost much more than others.  I like Ooma, it works great for me, however it is somewhat more expensive than some, and somewhat more economical than others.

The choice is yours. Good luck.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johanson said:

The above are all well working alternatives. However some cost much more than others.  I like Ooma, it works great for me, however it is somewhat more expensive than some, and somewhat more economical than others.

The choice is yours. Good luck.

Once you purchase the hardware, under $60 USD for us on a Black Friday sale, you only pay the local phone tax for wherever your number is. For us, a little under $5/month. Call quality exceeds the Vonage phone we had when they first came out and if I remember, Vonage was $20/month.  YMMV  You can port your Vonage number over to Ooma.

I think I'm going to get another Vonage modem when I go to Canada in September. Mine was wonderful for 15 years until CFE fried it last summer along with a Telmex modem. I thought I'd be fine without it but people are whining about not being able to contact me. Apparently it's too much trouble to send a text to ask me to phone them.

Musta been a hell of a surge because it was plugged into both surge/voltage protection. Go figure.

The older magicJack models you had to have your computer on and running but the newer magicJack your computer can be turned off. Make sure your phone that doesn’t ring doesn’t have the silence ringer activated. There should be some type of button or slide button on your phone that can turn the ringer on and off. It would have to be in the on mode. 

Let's be clear: all Magic Jacks sold in the last five or more years are capable of running with the computer ON, when the device is plugged into the computer; OR the computer can be OFF it the device is plugged into the modem properly. MJ comes with a USB power adapter, that plugs into your AC outlet, and an ethernet cable that plugs into your modem... along with the standard telephone jack that plugs into a phone in either case.

sm1mex has the best answer about why it's not ringing.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

I think I'm going to get another Vonage modem when I go to Canada in September. Mine was wonderful for 15 years until CFE fried it last summer along with a Telmex modem. I thought I'd be fine without it but people are whining about not being able to contact me. Apparently it's too much trouble to send a text to ask me to phone them.

Musta been a hell of a surge because it was plugged into both surge/voltage protection. Go figure.

If you call them they will send you a new one down here.

Magic Jack won't ship replacement dongles to Mexico although they are available here.

We've had a separate phone connected to the dongle which in turn was connected to the modem via cable for years. Old style hard line and 2 line portables. The MJ quality was marginal at best until switching to Ilox. Just not enough upload speed with Telmex. Telecable had bandwidth would drop so often the phone was not usable.

MJ has an app you can install on one cell phone which rings in tandem with the house unit. Usually. Even if the cell doesn't ring you get a message of a missed call and voicemail if one is left making a callback easy.

If it weren't for some financial institutions that still require a US number I'd drop MJ too since most people that call now have cell plans that include Mexico. One problem though is that some sites like Paypal know that the area code and 1st 3 digits are MJ so they won't accept the number.