Chapala.com Webboard

Funeral of Michael Collins-1922

pappysmarket

For Slainte

A true Irish hero  August 28, 1922 he was buried and 500,000 mourners attended his funeral, almost 1/5 of the entire population at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6QX2paFZxc

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Did he live in or visit Mexico/Lakeside, is that the  connection?

If the topic doesn't interest you, don't click on it. If you want to be a Mod send your request and resume to the Admin. If you really don't like this forum, C Bob has one you might prefer. There are more than a few expats of Irish descent who might be interested.  Best regards, Pappy

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

For Slainte

A true Irish hero  August 28, 1922 he was buried and 500,000 mourners attended his funeral, almost 1/5 of the entire population at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6QX2paFZxc

Thank you for the remembrance. 

I¨ve been to what´s left of the house where he was born in Clonakilty and to the place where he was shot in Beal na mBlath, several times.  Also, I visit his grave in Glasnevin  Cemetery, in Dublin, every time , I´m there.

The only funeral that was ever larger, was Ghandi´s, but if you go by the pct. of population of a country, nothing matches that of "The Big Guy".  He was the implementer of guerilla warfare and started the resistance against the British colonial masters in their empire around the world.

It was a sad day for Ireland and thank you for remembering.

For the couple of posters who didn´t like your post-------------"Is trom an t-ualach an t-aineaolas"

Or in pub vernacular……."Póg mo thóin"

• Thanks 1