Chapala.com Webboard

Save the trees!

Taaffe

A neighbor sent me this....it is a post by Tommy Thompson of Barbara's bazaar on FB today.  It is about a lot being developed that is next to one of Tommy's houses on 5 de Mayo (aka Juarez) in Ajijic.  It's long but I highlighted the part about the meeting.  Hoping you can pass Meeting info along to Amigos del Lago and anyone other group that cares about the environment.  

Tree Huggers of Ajijic.. help me save a magnificent Primavera from slaughter. At the corner of Calle 5 de Mayo and Calle del Paseo (Malecon Ajijic) the only remaining lot in our area of waterfront is about to be developed. It is a large lot but for some reason the developer wants to remove a magnificent Primavera tree which is sitting right up next to the neighboring wall (to the east). The tree was marked with a red X as were 5 more trees on the lot. Officially only 2 were licensed to be cut (a Mango and a dead Jacaranda). 5 were cut (one mango, the jacaranda, palm, ficus and a huge old Hass avocado that also was right on the property line..not in the way of construction). A neighbor notified Chapala as the trees were falling and apparently they 'fined' the tree service for taking out the palm. (one more than the license allowed). They did not even visit the site apparently or they would have easily seen the stumps of the other trees. Too busy to go out, I was told when I called ...ALSO the ancient Primavera was marked with a red X .. even though the tree service said it was an accident .. that would be a good excuse if it had been cut 'by mistake'.. a fine would be levied and progress could proceed unhindered. I am passing around a petition to Mayor Anaya to PLEASE declare the tree "Patrimony" of Ajijic and prevent construction on or near it that would create a future threat to the tree. I am told that the method of of getting rid of a tree like this is to build very close and then as construction proceeds, revisit Ecology and show that the tree is a threat to the house in order to remove it. Here are photos of how Ricardo and I build right around two 'sister' trees to this one, on the same block. It is called El Nido, because the bedroom of the house literally is in the trees.. Since these trees form DEEP roots, they have little effect on foundations. But that might take the input of an Ecology department .. where are they in this instance? Just look at what can be done .. then contact me, or stop into Barbaras Bazaar and sign the petition. I am asking Mayor Anaya to be "superman" here and save this tree and set an example that building in the area has to start taking existing trees into consideration.. we just can't afford to keep knocking them down with other options are possible. This tree is at least 5 stories high and most likely is more than 75 years old .. NO REASON TO KILL IT.. our environment can't afford the needless loss of mature and important trees like this one..Monday Aug 26 at 12 noon, in the Ayuntamiento building in Chapala there will be the first public meeting of the new Chapala Environmental committee meeting.. that group is supposed to coordinate acceptable environmental practices with the building department and ecology departments .. this would be a good place to start putting those words into action.. wisely building around this magnificent tree! The public is welcome at this committee meeting. Share this with your friends PLEASE. (the last blurry photo was taken a year ago from the neighbors yard.. you can see how full of trees the lot used to be .. compare to the newest view of the same lot)

722516F0-1ED8-4DF9-81AD-626EF6B43571.png

A78C0360-7B84-488B-9F27-480A6EE9A83D.jpeg