Chapala.com Webboard

Guitars, Airplanes and Fishing

Hello all you lovely people,

My wife and I are exploring a move to La Ribera and to that end, we're heading down in December to reconnoiter. I have been happily watching all the videos from the two Jerrys and have learned a bunch.....but!!

I have a few passions:

1. I have been playing guitar for 55 years (you'd think I'd be better at it than I am) and love love love the Blues and Rock and Roll. I am hoping there are a few other old farts also so inclined. I plan to come down, once we move, with a few guitars and an amp or two. I am guessing gear is pretty available in Guadalajara??

2. I have been flying since 1979 and I do see a little airport up the road right on the lake. Any pilots out there?

3. I am a very passionate Largemouth Bass and Trout angler. I keep reading reports of some of the best Bass fishing in the world on Laguna Chapala or nearby. Looks like there is even a fishing club. I will surely be looking for some folks who want to drink coffee and swap a few lies!  Oh...almost forgot...I have been hearing rumors about Peacock Bass. Do I have to go to the Amazon or have a few made it north?

We have joined the Society and been in contact with a few folks.

We are coming down in December for our first "feet on the ground" look see! Hope to meet a few of you.

David Rodwell, Winston Salem, NC

david@davidrodwell.com

• Like 1

There have been 2 international Large Mouth bass tournaments in Lake Chapala now. The Peacock Bass rumour is pure BS. Pic is in front of the Town of Chapala.

There may be some stocked Rainbow Trout fishing in Michoacan and I believe that there are some rivers and streams in Mexico stocked with Golden.

chapala bass 2.jpg

• Like 1

There are several places that host 'open mic' sessions so it might be an idea to go and chat - can't tell you where at the moment since you will be here during high season and things change.  As for flying, there may be pilots in the expat community, but I'm not sure if the airport is accessible to expats.  Insidelakeside.com has a discussion area dedicated to fishing which you may find informative - https://www.insidelakeside.com/c2-fishing-in-mexico

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, WideSky said:

There are several places that host 'open mic' sessions so it might be an idea to go and chat - can't tell you where at the moment since you will be here during high season and things change.  As for flying, there may be pilots in the expat community, but I'm not sure if the airport is accessible to expats.  Insidelakeside.com has a discussion area dedicated to fishing which you may find informative - https://www.insidelakeside.com/c2-fishing-in-mexico

The airport is for everyone with a light plane that pays for membership.

The Ajijic Fishing Club will meet on Monday, December 2 at 9:00 am. The location is Fonda Dona Lola. They meet on the first Monday of each month.

There is bass fishing at multiple lakes within a half day's drive from Ajijic and Lake Chapala has bass, too. 

The fishing club is gauging interest in a peacock bass trip to the Amazon or Panama or both.

Here is a link to their website. There is a link to the club's Facebook page on the website.

https://drhook50hp.wixsite.com/ajijicfishingclub

• Like 1

Questions 2 & 3 are well answered.

Re question 1: La Bodega and El Patio in Chapala both have open mics where you will meet musicians at all levels; from basic to pro (I would say most are on the basic side) And they mostly play older blues/rock (danceable music) and some country, right up your alley. My tastes, also after 50 years of playing, tend to go more mellow and there is an open mic at Buenos Ayres in Chapala on Fridays, geared to singer/songwriters. There is also a ukelele meetup. You shouldn't have any problems meeting other musicians.

Guadalajara doesn't have that great of a selection and prices can be quite high, especially when it comes to electronics. It's best to bring your own pedals. I searched in vain to buy a cheap, reasonably good guitar (like an Epiphone D100) because I didn't want to travel with any of my good guitars. Never found one and the POS I bought (a Campero), the tuners didn't work and I had to replace them.

Thanks to all of you for jumping in with great answers...

I did not even ask about amateurs radio operators or amateur magicians...you are in a Cuidad Magica after all!!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you lovely folks in December!!

David Rodwell, Winston Salem, NC EUA

11 hours ago, David Rodwell said:

Thanks to all of you for jumping in with great answers...

I did not even ask about amateurs radio operators or amateur magicians...you are in a Cuidad Magica after all!!!

Looking forward to meeting some of you lovely folks in December!!

David Rodwell, Winston Salem, NC EUA

Hi David...the term is Pueblo Mágico, a status designated by Mexico's federal government, and Ajijic does not have that title.  

You're coming at high season.  Have you booked a place to stay?  I hope so! 

Have a great time.

WOW Liana,

Thank you...I went to several sites explaining the program in more detail...I feel like a moron. I thought all the rainbow signs were designations of the Pueblos Mágicos....

Tambien, estoy estudiando diariamente poque mi gustaria hablar sin accento como usted.

Gracias....

iAdoro su Purépecha!

David Rodwell

My wife and I are looking at homes around Ajijic in November, maybe we will meet up someday. I play flamenco professionally, and blues lead (basically sucks) but I love guitars, even thinking about going to Paracho and getting a line to sell on the internet. My brother is a pipline pilot in OK, and I used to fly, I have around 250 hours in Cessnas, just got too expensive. Hope we meet up!